Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ohio Burning (Page 13)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Ohio Burning
MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Name a country where people find slavery acceptable, and stop showing off, you're not special, other countries abolished slavery long before you did, and the rest of the civilized world abolished capital punishments, I've yet to see you do that.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, posted that a bit too late, forgot to refresh
The message was directed at Liam
All references "you" are meant to the USA unless obviously put otherwise.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam's a giant fan of the Baseball, Hot Dogs and the NRA. I heard he was an All-American Tight End for the University of Tuxford, until his End loosened up in a terrifying Train Accident.

I've yet to miss him regale us with his fanciful tales of Fourth of July picnics, and he sent me some nice photos of him in front of Mount Rushmore the other day.

So, you'll have to excuse Liam, for he's a tried and true patriot, and nationalism is his game.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly 100% sure that Liam's British.

Speaking of which, why do you folks drive on the wrong side of the road?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not say that Jefferson was pro-slavery on an intellectual level as evidenced by his wolf by the ears reference regarding slavery. Yet, he did little if anything to move southern attitudes away from their peculiar institution. Certainly not everything in his power as implied in a previous post.

UM you are right to say that race based slavery was common in the United States during Jefferson's lifetime. However he had to be well aware of the arguments and the of growing anti-slavery movements. And he had to have been cognizant of the incredible debate that took place in the Constitutional Convention over the very issue of slavery.

I can't imagine for a second that he could escape irony of his famous all men are created equal phrase of the DOI working in direct philosophical opposition to the actuality of the 3/5ths clause of the American Constitution and the cultural and legal system designed to subjugate a race of people.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of trechery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that was a labour of Sisyphus.

Er, JeffK's post. And mine. In different ways.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited April 23, 2001).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I feel like I live in ancient times, and the "real" time is what someone will experience in 20 years.
Even now, I'm preparing my "I remember, back in the day..."

Psy: "Modern american standards"? The slavery ban goes for pretty much all of the western worlds.
In fact, the only places I've heard of confirmed slavery is in northern africa, south america and some parts of asia. There's probably more, though.

The report I heard on south america mostly involved forced child labor, like using 10-year old's for construction work. Without filter masks or other protective gear, of course.

The construction site looked kinda like "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Infinity, who said: "Name a country where people find slavery acceptable."

Sudan.

There, that took all of an eighth of a second, and it was just the first place I thought of where slavery is still practiced today.

Of course, there are also varying degrees of 'slavery' as well, who remembers 'indentured servitude' from school? Or the time-honored practice (and one of the things that started the War of 1812) of 'impressment?'

Of course, we're not supposed to remember those things, because they were white folks being pressed into service, and we're supposed to think that slavery was, and has always been, entirely about race.

Except that it isn't. Slavery has been practiced at one time or another in every culture in the world, most often against its own people. The 'liberal' for the time Ancient Greeks believed slavery was a natural condition. The Israelites and other ancient middle-eastern cultures owned slaves. Native Americans took slaves. Africans took slaves (some still do) LONG before the first white guys showed up.

If you want to blame the Europeans for something, blame them for taking advantage of a previously existing trend. The idea that slavery is abhorrent is a fairly recent one. It may just be a cultural 'fad.'

Personally, I think that enforced and regulated slavery might be a better way of punishing people than prison. "Okay, you stole from that guy, we caught you, tried you and found you guilty, you're now his slave for the next year. He can order you to do anything that doesn't cause you physical injury, or isn't illegal."

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slavery in any way, shape, or form is unnacceptable.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: Then, playing off what Rob just said, we'll have to empty all the prisons. After all, those prisoners are being held against their wills. They have no freedom to leave of their own accords. In some cases (I assume this is still true, anyway), they're even made to perform manual labor. Essentially, imprisoning criminals is slavery. Are you willing to take all those prisoners into your home to save them from this "bondage"?

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've forgotten who posted this, and too lazy to checl, but...

Someone questioned me saying that slavery is unacceptable by modern US standards, and said that almost the entire world had banned it. Then listed exceptions, one of which was South America.

Is an entire continent not enough for you? Or do they not count?

I actually used to know why we (and a few other countries. Although I can only think of New Zealand at the moment) drive on the left. I think it has something to do with horse-drawn carriages. Or not.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people are right-handed. Therefore, in days of yore, swords would traditionally be scabbarded(?) on one's right side. If one was to pass someone in a carriage one wasn't particularly fond of, if the oncoming traffic was on the right the driver (sitting on the right side of the carriage) would find it easy to pull and swing and slice and dice. Likewise, however, the guy coming the other way would have a fair chance at defending himself. The British liked this method of doing things. The French decided to do the opposite. At the time of the American and French revolution, French stuff = better than British stuff as far as the Yanks are concerned, so to the right hand side of the road it was for them.

Or so the legend goes. *goes to check straightdope*

Edit: yup, check this

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 24, 2001).]

Member # 239

We all apparently missed my wonderful self.

"I heard he was an All-American Tight End for the University of Tuxford, until his End loosened up in a
terrifying Train Accident."

This deserves a pulitzer.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

TSN,

Big difference between someone being a slave and someone in jail, IMHO.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK: The Almighty One has spoken, eh? News flash, Jeff: your opinion does not equate to fact.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps