Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ohio Burning (Page 12)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Ohio Burning
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do love it when I see the same rationalizations and justifications for slavery that the slave owners used themselves so long ago.

Good one. Now we just have to include what Paul wrote in the Bible, and we'll have their religious justification to round out the bunch.

Now, if anyone wants to talk about the practical application of keeping slaves slaves, go read the laws that outlawed teaching slaves to read and write. And then go read about all the social and cultural justification about the uneducated "childlike" status of slaves.

Slavery was not just a circumstance, but a system that kept one people in its place for the service and economic growth of another people. And it is intellectually dishonest to write of slaves a being mere children and therefore bound to their lives as property when the culture and laws prevented them from anything but.

Jefferson was part of that systemic effort.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of trechery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited April 23, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though he did everything he could to end it? Riiight...

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure he did, Omega. He was so determined to end it, he kept 'em himself.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, better him having all the slaves than one who thrashes them! Or if he did thrash them, better him than someone who rapes slave virgin.
No, better yet...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Actually, Omega's arguement makes about as much sense as:

"Hi. My name is Bob, and I joined the KKK to stop racism."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no right or wrong slavery, the concept of slavery itself is not acceptable by any modern standards

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Is that like "Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity"? *L*

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the concept of slavery itself is not acceptable by any modern standards"

Hmm. You mean "Modern American standards", don't you? Because there are several countries that would disagree with you.

Anyway, I'm not an expert on US history, but Jefferson's time doesn't really count as "modern", does it?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to Jefferson it was 'modern' times.....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

There was a growing sense of anti-semitism in the US back in the thirties and forties, but I'm not going to defend the Holocaust.

Likewise, while a great many of our Founding Fathers owned slaves, people shouldn't make excuses for them. When they do that, they're slapping the faces of all those who died to end slavery, who fought for the civil rights movement. Don't make excuses for the immorality of the men you worship so -- see them as they truly are.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do better when you know better. Seeing 'them' as they 'truly' are, apparently means taking our 2001 values, judgements and paradigms and using them to determint wether a person from hundreds of years ago is right, wrong or justifiable.

Of course it's not justifiable. Now. Jefferson and his compatriots in Slavery didn't have the Civil Rights movement, the Emancipotato Proctolimisation, or the Beaumont Freedom writ to enlighten their judgement.

20 years ago, seatbelts weren't used. Or weren't in wide use. If we postulate that 'The people didn't know seatbelts could help you not die, as they were relatively new', are we defending reckless driving?

20 years from now, when we're all impotent from Cell Phones, are people going to say 'Cell Phones weren't, at that time, proven to be hazardous' defending the practice of irradiating sperm?

You can not take what you know now, take somebody who didn't know that then, and condemn them for it.

Noone here has defended slavery. The closest I've seen is someone defending the way Jefferson kept slaves. In 2001, Slaves = Horrible. In 1977, or whenever Jeffermason was President, Slaves = Common. Common <> Right, but 1977 knowledge <> 2001 knowledge.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Erm. 1977?

But here's the kicker. Jefferson was apparently opposed to slavery ... yet he owned slaves. Even way back in the '70's (the seventeen 70's), I'm pretty sure that's still hypocracy.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 23, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jefferson wasn't president in 1977? Back to the History books for me.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was he against slavery, or against the ill treatment of slaves??? Therein would lie the diference....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps