Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » How does the Bible contradict itself? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: How does the Bible contradict itself?
Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's pretty pointless indeed.

However, I do have one...

After Cain slew Able and was zapped by God and then sent into exile, he went to go live with the nomads of that area. He then married into that tribe and begat children from his wife(s).

Question: If Adam & Eve (And later on Cain & Able) were the only people on Earth at the time, where did the NOMADS come from?

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After Cain slew Able and was zapped by God and then sent into exile, he went to go live with the nomads of that area.

Says what verse? The Bible says nothign about nomads, as I recall. All we know is that he left. As for his kids, I'd bet he took a sister with him. Then there's the fact that he probably lived several centuries, what with no one being able to kill him. IIRC, he may very well not have had kids until he was six hundred years old, and thus could have married a twenty year old eighth-great-niece once the world was thoroughly populated.

As for the point of this excercize, it's for me to show that there are no contradictions in the Bible, as some of you you claim there to be. I'm waiting for one that's actually a problem to refute. Come on, Rob, you can do better than this.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post 
In other words, you're just trying to start a fight with us because no matter what evidence we come up with to disprove you, you're just gonna dismiss it. Well, up yours, pal. We're not gonna play this one with you. So go away and play with yourself.

*offcially boycotts this topic, advises others to do the same*

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I think Tim brought up the differences in the geneologies of Jesus between Gospels a while ago. It's a pretty blatant discrepancy.

Some elements of the passion occur in a different order in the various Gospels, too.

And there's the entire mess with the double creation story in Genesis 1 and 2 which some people consider contradictory.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't 'show' that there are no contradictions in the Bible. All you can do is come up with 'theories' that appear to fit what the Bible says. Since your theories are ENTIRELY unverifiable (no reliable historians were around to know how long Cain REALLY lived, and no outside sources can even verify his - or his 'sister's' - existence) attempting to determine their validity is pointless.

When even the most scatterbrained theory fails you, you fall back on metaphor (Oh, the Bible is literally true, except for the parts that don't make sense when they're taken literally, and those are metaphor, which is why when Jesus said that the end would come within his listener's lifetimes, and it didn't, he meant metaphorically) and expect the rational world to go along with that claptrap.

And when all else fails, you fall back on the 'concept' of Infallibility and Miracles, once again unverifiable, to explain away even the parts of the Bibble that violate established physics (The Sun can't hold still in the sky, but the Bibble says it did, so God musta performed a couple dozen miracles having to do with the Earth's rotation, centripetal force, and the gravitational constant of the universe that morning.)

If you cannot allow REASON to rule your arguments, you will never be more than an irritant.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob:

You can't 'show' that there are no contradictions in the Bible.

This is true. Perhaps I should restate my aims. I intend to show that no one can demonstrate a contradiction in the Bible.

Jesus said that the end would come within his listener's lifetimes

That's not what he said. He said "the Kingdom" would come (IIRC; I don't have my Bible in front of me at this exact second).

I'm looking for INTERNAL contradictions, here, people. Contradictions with what you know of nature don't count, for obvious reasons.

Tom:

I think Tim brought up the differences in the geneologies of Jesus between Gospels a while ago.

And I beat the snot out of it. There are two genealogies because Jesus had two parents (at least, from the POV of the people Matthew was writing to).

Some elements of the passion occur in a different order in the various Gospels, too.

Yes, but none expressly contradictory. We went through that quite a while back, too.

And there's the entire mess with the double creation story in Genesis 1 and 2 which some people consider contradictory.

I'm not familiar with the specific problem to which you are refering. Please clarify.

------------------
"Omega is right."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Cain & Abel--

Go read "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn. You'll see the story for what it really is.

------------------
"I'm beginning to think that there'll be NO forced mating at ALL!" --Professor Hubert T. Farnsworth

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic, but, may I ask how believers in the Bible explain two people populating the entire world without there being incest and MAJOR genetic deterioration? And while we're here, how the Earth has only been in existance for 6,000 years, plus or minus a couple?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sssshhhh*

Obviously, because the Lord has decreed it so. Or Metaphored it so. Because the Jack van Impe said so. because 1 000 000 Huntley Street said so. Because the Bible said so. Because they tell us everything. Every answer. Every question, it makes no difference. As long as someone tells me. I need to be told.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Omega
Member # 91

may I ask how believers in the Bible explain two people populating the entire world without there being incest and MAJOR genetic deterioration?

Who says there wasn't incest? As for genetic deterioration, I don't see why that would have to be a problem. Yeah, you'd start out with a guy marrying his sister, but then you'd have first cousins, then second cousins, and so forth. Only persistant inbreeding causes major problems.

------------------
"Omega is right."

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BUT THEY ARE ALL RELATED. There is no "new" genetic material introduced into the gene pool. ALL of it would have had to come from Adam and Eve. People are allowed to marry first and second cousins because either the aunt or uncle is related only by marriage, not by blood, therefore there are enough genetic variations to allow intermarriage at that level.

That is NOT the case with the whole Adam and Eve thing. Therefore, by about the third or fourth generation, the population of the world would consist of mentally and physically handicapped people.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something funny about asking the question "How does the Bible contradict itself" is that I've seen Omega say often to similar demands about gun laws ("How are they do this or that...") that he'll often answer with "tell me how they DON'T do this or that..." Just an interesting observation.

So, "How does the Bible not contradict itself?"

------------------
Ace

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited April 27, 2001).]

Omega
Member # 91

Ah, but see, I'm not saying that I can prove that the Bible doesn't contradict itself. OTHERS have said that it does. I'm simply asking for clarification.

------------------
"Omega is right."

Daniel
Member # 453

What? No alternate explanation? I'm still wondering about the age of the Earth thing, y'know.
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh Omega. now your just playing with semantics. how very irritating. In fact, that's what all of you are doing. Well i'm going to bed.

----------------------------------
Signatures are for losers

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited April 28, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited April 28, 2001).]

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps