Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » How does the Bible contradict itself? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: How does the Bible contradict itself?
Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question for you: Did God give us the commandments because they are morally correct, or are the commandments morally correct because God said them? After all, what God says goes. But why does he say it?

Well, I guess that's acutally two questions. Whatever.
------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

[This message has been edited by fructose1 (edited April 28, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, so I did switch the Abraham-sons. Oops.

Omega: You realize you're a dumbshit, right? As has been mentioned, I pointed out previously the whole Jesus-pedigree problem. You want people to find contradictions, but, when someone says "This is contradictory", you just say "No it isn't", and that's supposed to be valid?

The Matthew and Luke gospels give two different genealogies. Both claim to be through Joseph. You can't just say "Well, they meant to say 'Mary' in this one". If that's the case, no matter what anyone points out, you'll just say "Well, what they really meant to say is this...".

How about if we point out that Revelations mentions things like the "one thousand years" deal, even though 1000 years are long up? You'll claim "Well, that's just symbolism". Couldn't we then say that, in the entire rest of the bible, Yahweh himself is nothing but symbolic?

How can you claim that one thing is meant literally and another is not? How can you claim that the word "Joseph" actually means the word "Mary"? You didn't write these things. You have no idea what the authors meant. You simply reinterpret it to suit your own purposes. That's called "self-delusion".

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fructose:

God gave the Hebrews the commandments because they were the best way of keeping them safe. It's a matter of maturity. They were effectively two year olds. You know, "Don't lie, or daddy'll spank you."

Tim:

How about if we point out that Revelations mentions things like the "one thousand years" deal, even though 1000 years are long up?

1000 years FROM THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST. I'm pretty darned sure that he's not showed up, yet.

The Matthew and Luke gospels give two different genealogies. Both claim to be through Joseph.

They would. You have to understand the culture of the day. Matthew, writing to the Jews, would list the genealogy of Joseph, with a touch of Hebrew poetry thrown in. Luke, writing to the Greeks, and being a doctor, would list the genealogy of Mary. His writing style indicates that he'd do that: be as exact as possible. HOWEVER, he only lists males. Certainly there weren't only male biological relatives going up all the way to David. He listed HUSBANDS names as generations. Thus, he would have listed Joseph, not Mary.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am leaving the argument (of which I was nver really involved in anyway) due to the fact that I think my head is going to explode. I'll watch from a safe distance. I'm STILL waiting on an alternate explanation on the genetics and the age of the Earth, though.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just watching the fur fly and eating popcorn. It's more entertaining than the XFL!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Listen to me Omega, there is no such thing as moral killing, even if you know that someone grows up to be the next Hitler, you are still not correct in killing them. You don't get to fuck around with life, it's just there. No matter what you do it is still taking one life to save another or many others, and the only thing that you can do is live with it after that, but I will never say that killing is moral, and I beleive only a F****d up psycho would

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Coughs politely*

Excuse me, but before we start bandying about terms like 'moral killing' and so on, shouldn't we first define 'moral'? A statement containing an undefined term tells one precisely nothing.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, from what I gather, being more entertaining than the XFL wouldn't be that hard.

Still waiting for an internal contradiction...

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't we find a impartial judge to consider whether it is a contradiction or not. No offense, but your not exactly unbiased about this issue. Just doesn't seem likely that you'll turn around and say "Oh what do you know, your exactly right, I guess the Bible can have mistakes"

------------------
Signatures are for losers

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On second thought, you probably couldn't find an unbiased guy in these forums anyhow.

------------------

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not. Even those who would like to believe themselves impartial are somehow biased. I like to think that I am, but I have very strong feelings about organized religion.
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I agree with you (infinity11), that life should not be "messed around".

But, If I had a time machine, I would gladly use it to take out Hitler.

to quote Spock, "The needs of the many out-weight the needs of a few"...

and in this case, we're talking about the lifes of couple millions against the life of one!

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

Ah, but thankfully, Spock was no bible-thumper either.

------------------

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does god feel regret?

"And besides, the Excellency of Israel will not prove false, and He will NOT FEEL REGRETS, for He is not an earthling man so as to feel regrets" - 1 Samuel 15:29

"As for the Lord, he REGRETTED that he had made Saul king over Israel" - 1 Samuel 15:35

Sins of the Father?

"Fathers should not be put to death on account of children, and children should not be put to death on account of fathers. Each one should be put to death for his own sin" - Deuteronomy 24:16

"....because I the Lord your God am a God exacting exclusive devotion, bringing punishment for the error of father upon sons" - Exodus 20:5

Rightousness?

"Little children, let no one mislead you, he who carries on righteousness is righteous, just as that one is righteous." - 1 John 3:7

"Just as it is written: There is not one righteous man, not even one." - Romans 3:10

Calling on the name of Christ

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" - Romans 10:13

"Not every one that say unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven" - Matthew 7:21

The Trinity

"I and my Father are one" - John 10:30
"I came from God and now I am here. I have not come on my own; but he has sent me" - John 8:42

You may be able to refute one, or many, but all? Please do try.

------------------
"A mass of tears have been transformed to stones now, sharpened on suffering and woven into slings"
Zack de la Rocha
Rage Against the Machine

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Luke, writing to the Greeks, and being a doctor, would list the genealogy of Mary. His writing style indicates that he'd do that: be as exact as possible. HOWEVER, he only lists males. Certainly there weren't only male biological relatives going up all the way to David. He listed HUSBANDS names as generations."

Well, regardless of what the bible does, you certainly contradict yourself. How can he be exact as possible, while listing men's names where their wives names should be?

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps