Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » How does the Bible contradict itself? (Page 9)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: How does the Bible contradict itself?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darned scheduling!

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the whole thread, but could someone tell me were Abel got his woman from?

Also, this little piece of irony is worth mentioning:
In the (translated to Dutch) version I've got here it says 'And he saw it was good' (in Dutch, of course) in the Genesis creation, except after He creates mankind...

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Abel? He didn't have a woman. The only woman on the planet during his lifetime was his mother.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you meant Seth?

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited May 05, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or even Cain. Both were presumably married to their own sisters. Along w/ the rest of their brothers (at least, any who were married).

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes... there's a point. Does the Bible say anything against incest? I ask only because Lot's daughters screwed their father with no complaints from God.
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, that's a very good question. I don't think any of the branches of the Christian faith allow marriages between family members unless three or four times removed. Not like I would know, I'm not religious.

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, quite. Incestuous relations are certainly prohibited now; the question is, are they explicitly prohibited in the book? If so, we await Omega's response...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Yes. But those are part of the Mosaic Law. Adam and Eve's kids, Lot's daughters, &c. were all before Yahweh came up w/ those rules.

------------------
-Maynard James Keenan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During World War II, in the Warsaw Ghetto (if I'm not mistaken), a group of Orthodox Jews placed God on trial for allowing Hitler and the Holocaust to happen. The verdict was that an omnipotent entity who did not intervene was guilty.

They sentenced God to death.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I think that is total bullshit. I do beleive in god, but I beleive in him leaving us make our mistakes, think of it as a "loose" omnipotence, he can do anything, but he doesn't most of the time.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, the point the Jews made was that a truly loving God wouldn't stand to see His people punished like that. They didn't understand it -- my friend Keith, who, absolutely conincidental to this conversation happens to be Jewish -- said that his grandfather thought they were being punished for some reason; but that he himself believes it was God's way of getting 'em all to Israel.

::shrug::

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So it's okay if he justs eats some popcorn and watches the attempted genocide of 11 million people?

Er ... for some reason, that don't quite fly with me.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. But we should add spina bifida, cystic fibrosis, birth defects, and crib death to the charges, since they're things that no amount of human will can change.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps