Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Pot. Discuss. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: The Pot. Discuss.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dope doesn't do a lot for you? So you spend money on getting an effect that can be rivaled by eating chocolate?

I was kidding in my previous post, I don't presume to know your cannabis addiction limit. I'm sure there are many people that don't get addicted to it.
I'm one of them, because I won't use it.

It's like this; the only way I could try weed would be at a party or at the music festival I'll be going to in three weeks. I was offered some last year but didn't take it.

And you see, if I do start to smoke at parties, then I'd want to smoke at every party with the same atmosphere/mood. Then maybe I'd want to start bying my own weed, and then I'm there. BANG!
And I'll only know that I'm addicted if I stop taking it for a while. And if I have enough money, enough friends and enough parties then I won't need to stop smoking it. Until I get children and have to stop, only suddenly I don't want to.
And I'll lose the respect of my parents, my family, my non-drug friends and subsequently myself (well, the self respect is what goes first, actually).

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited May 18, 2001).]

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VP: Grass is a lot better than hash. I know hash is about all you can get in these parts, and that's why I'm so irked at cannabis being illegal.

Nimrod: I can understand your apprehension about getting into smoking pot regularly after having done it once. But to allay your concerns, think of the amount of middle-aged people around who more than likely used to smoke pot, and stopped as their responsibilities (to their children, work etc.) took over.

On the subject of self-respect, I personally have lost more self-respect the few times I got drunk and acted like a complete f*cking lunatic, getting sick etc. than I ever could by getting high.

But for the issue at hand, ie. legalisation, the situation isn't really changed. You have access to weed, as you say at parties, concerts etc. despite the fact that cannabis is illegal, and you exercise your choice not to smoke it, which is fine. If it were to be legalised, your access to cannabis would perhaps be easier, and you would probably have more exposure to it, but you could still choose not to smoke it. If you are determined enough not to smoke when you have access to it now, I'm sure you would manage to refuse it if it were legal. We all have the choice NOT to smoke grass if it's legal, but many of us don't have the choice TO smoke it when it's illegal.

------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited May 18, 2001).]

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another point that I didn't notice until now was that The_Tom mentioned that marijuana is more carcinogenic than tobacco. From what I've read, and I've read quite a lot on this subject, this isn't true. There was study carried out on about 350 people by a guy called Zhang indicating a higher rate of cancer (neck & head) in marijuana users than in non-users. However, another study carried out on 65,000 people, the Kaiser study, confirmed that there was a lower incidence of cancer among marijuana users. http://www.marijuana-hemp.com/cin/facts/cancer.shtml
There are many studies on animals indicating that marijuana can reduce the onset of cancer.

But again, we come back to the crucial point. If you doubt the studies, if you don't want to smoke it, you don't have to. If the politicians would just legalise it and stop testing the poor animals.....

------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited May 18, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You wanna get high? Put a plastic bag over your head. Leave it there for a while. Pretty soon, you get all lightheaded and dizzy and feel like you might pass out. You may even experience altered states of consciousness.

Not addictive, less dangerous to others, and less carcinogenic, than marijuana OR tobacco, and you can do it and do it until you drop, and you can stop anytime you like.

Everybody who wants to legalize that horribly smelly crap should try this at least several dozen times.

Tie that bag off tightly, now, y'hear? Or you won't get the full effect!

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Obviously not, TSN. I mean, what the hell is that supposed to mean? Remarks like that do nothing to progress a discussion.

I beg to differ. My point is perfectly valid. The phrase "don't knock it 'til you've tried it" is not universally applicable.

First: Ah, yes, the wonders of oxygen deprivation... A couple of times, when I couldn't sleep, I tried covering my head up w/ the blanket, so I'd get less oxygen, and fall asleep. It didn't work, but it sure does make you feel funny after a while... *L*

------------------
"Adults Do Not Teach By Examples, But By Word Scams That Brainwash And Indoctrinate Their Children's Malleable Minds, Destroying Youth. Rote Education Corrupts Childhood, Forcing Children To Become Adults."
-Gene Ray

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited May 18, 2001).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NIDA says that marijuana is psychologically, not physically, addicting.

Mota!

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"There are also the diphthongs ae and oe, with no English counterparts; Tolkien actually suggests substituting ai and oi if you don't care about such details...but anyone reading this document probably does care about the details." - Sindarin information

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gah! You people! WHY do you want to legalize the stuff in the first place? Does it MATTER whether or not we already have alcohol and tabbacco legalized? Does it MATTER that it's not any worse than the aforementioned substances? NO IT DOESN'T. Just because we have two bad things doesn't mean that we should go and add a third to the list.

Because major world powers have nuclear weaponry, does that mean that we should authorize the use and development of biological and chemical weapons of mass destruction as well? No. It is a similar situation to this.

Just because we have two bad things and aren't willing to ban them doesn't mean that we should say "what the heck?" and add something else.

If we were to legalize marijuana, A LOT more people would use it. It would become a viable market. Prices for the stuff would drop, and everyone would be going to school stoned. I don't care whatever studies you have that say so on and so forth. The percentage of people using the substance would increase because heck, it could be sold in supermarkets, and predictably, the number of people ABUSING the drug would also increase. People would become at the very least psychologically dependent and perhaps move on to more harmful drugs.

And do we REALLY want people high, in an altered state of mind, while they're working, or driving, or doing anything? As someone already pointed out, ther are other ways of achieving the same result without using drugs. Look at all those religious folks who had "visions."

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really great that you chaps can quote the great sources and comment on how evil this stuff is. Now, please raise your hand if you have tried weed, or if you have been around people at parties, homes or anywhere else that are on weed. Outline your extensive experience with the substance, and show us (if you would be so kind) the basis for your opinions.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If we were to legalize marijuana, A LOT more people would use it."

Prove it.

"Prices for the stuff would drop, and everyone would be going to school stoned."

Prove it.

"I don't care whatever studies you have that say so on and so forth."

Oh, I see. Well, carry on then. Purple elephant monkey trouser effect.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why can't you guys and weed, just get along, what'd it ever do to you?

------------------
It never stops, when my mama ask me will I change
I tell her yeah, but it's clear I'll always be the same
Until the end of time
- Tupac Shakur, Untill the End of Time

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't smoke the pot drug, for teh same reason that I don't smoke the tobacco drug. It makes me cough. And it smells a bit. And my attempts at smoking already caused me enough embarrassement (No-one told me you have to breathe IN while lighting a cigarette. People were laughing. I cried). But I'm not a fan of the student mellow "woo, dude"-ness. I prefer the "Yay! They're playing the new S Club 7 Song! I MUST JUMP UP AND DOWN!"-ness of really bad clubs.

What was my point again?

Oh yeah. Legalise it if you want. But limit it in the same way that smoking is limited. As tim has pointed out, smoking DOES affect the people next to you. And for some people, that's not pleasent. Alcohol doesn't. Unless you're standing in the middle of a pub. But who would stand in the middle of a pub complaining about people drinking? EH? EH?

I'm still for draginning Tim and Simon over here and taking them out. (To clubs. not for dinner and a show.) Because Simon would be brilliantly funny, and tim would see that, yes, there are people who use alcohol for fun, who don't turn into raging maniacs who want to drive cars over small puppies. And Parklife is a great drunk song.

Monkeys!

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We drink and we sing and we drink and we die! We haaave nooo heads, we haaave nooo heads!!!"

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

Daniel, the thing is, I don't see marijuana as a bad thing. I think that the fact that it is illegal is a bad thing. It's a ridiculous situation that if someone grows the plant for their own use that they're flung into the nearest prison. I have argued extensively on this thread, posting links to information on cannabis. It is my opinion that anyone who is fully informed on the cannabis plant, all of its uses and benefits, how and why it was banned, will be unable to deny that it should be legalised. The "points" you have raised have already been addressed.

Cannabis is, as well as having recreational properties, an extremely viable agricultural plant. Its plant fibres are much more suitable for paper production than tree fibres, so much less chemical processing is required. The fibres from cannabis can also be made into fabrics that are much more durable than cotton. Also, unlike trees and cotton plants, the leaves of the cannabis plant fall to the ground before the stalks are harvested, so much of the plant matter rots and returns nutrients to the soil. The use of hemp would be much more sustainable in terms of the environment for these industries.

Visit the links and inform yourself, otherwise I'll just have to clog the thread with this information, and I don't think anyone wants that.
http://www.cannabis.com/faqs/
This site also gives reasons why marijuana was banned that I guarantee will surprise you.

------------------
Samuel Adams

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, paper made from hemp would be like papyrus, and cloth made from it would be as coarse as burlap. Whether this is any good is up to you...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"There are also the diphthongs ae and oe, with no English counterparts; Tolkien actually suggests substituting ai and oi if you don't care about such details...but anyone reading this document probably does care about the details." - Sindarin information

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think anyone forced to use hemp toilet paper would soon take the Klingon Empire/Tribble attitude towards cannabis. . .

------------------
Phasers

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps