Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "Americans" this.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: "Americans" this....
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueElectron:
...maybe you guys should consider changing your ways before pointing fingers...

Obviously i'm speaking to a group of 12 year olds, or at least 12-year old minds.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, I just tried to address something in a calm and mature matter and ended up getting comments like �Truth's a bitch�, �Stereotyping is a deeply rooted part of human nature�. (which, btw, is completely wrong. Classification is maybe, but stereotyping is the standardized mental picture that is held by members of a group that represent an oversimplified opinion or prejudiced attitude If you�re that type of person I don�t want anything to do with you.)

I'm too tired to deal with this. I�m very sorry that I didn�t reach a more mature audience. Perhaps some other time.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, wait! You missed my great post about white male hegemony!

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot the most obvious one... Americans take themselves too seriously, and offend very easily if someone else doesn't.

:-)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not! You take that back!

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A common source of prejudice often comes from people who have experienced american tourists.

I have seen americans who get extremely obnoxious and bigmouthed when visiting other countries, mine for instance, and I know why too.

In most cases the person(s) are not jerks by nature, but when one leaves his/her own country to visit another, it's very common to feel out of one's element, exposed, vulnerable.

"Nationalism" (in that you compare certain elements in this new culture with your own and find your own more comfortable) and insecurity can go up quite a few notches.

I have met both enlightened americans and stupid ones, so I know there's more than meets the eye. And sometimes there isn't.

It's the same with us swedes, we can be pretty nasty party people on vacations and such.

Also, germans are wonderful people when you go visit them in Germany. But when they come to Sweden and 'partay' I have seen some of them that really scared me.

Hope I made any sense.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If anything, perhaps we should be proud of US bashing because as negative as it can be, it is an exercise of one of the more noble points of our Bill of Rights. I can participate in an online community and say that I think George W. is an incompetent spoon-fed buffoon whose short-sighted agendas and defiant ignorance will only bring suffering and death. Cops will not come to my house and take me away from my family."

Now, while that's true, you do know that there are other countries that have freedome of speech? And, shock horror, they don't even have a Bill of Rights. Or a US Constitution. And they can still say stuff without being hung! My God! The madness!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No they DON'T! You LIAR!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but then how can it be guarenteed? Thinking that something will always be simply because it currently is, and creating no safeguards, is remarkably short-sighted, no?

Yes, I'm one of those conservative Americans. STEREOTYPE ME!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think we're short sighted. We think you're paranoid.

Of course, when our rights are taken away in Europe, Canada, Australia, and everywhere except for the US, the you can say "Ha! I told you! I stopped the policemen at our door with our mighty piece of paper that NEVER CHANGES! Except when it's ammended. But it's NOT CHANGED! Just ammended. Or ignored. I am rule!"

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's ridiculous to think that a piece of paper gives any more protection then not having it. I honestly think some people believe that if the physical Constitution were to burn up, POOF! Bye-bye U.S. of A.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's obviously not the paper, it's the words written on it.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should all look up successful attempts at abridging rights in the UK now.

Besides the unsuccessful handgun ban, I mean.

I can see the difference now.

USA:
Gov. Guy #1. : I don't like this thing here. Let's enact a law that says that people can't look at it/write about it/think about it.
Gov. Guy #2. : Great... except that that's unconstitutional. You'd be in for a losing fight at the Supreme Court, and the public outcry would end your career.
Gov. Guy #1. : Oh, forget it, then. Damn Bill of Rights.

UK:
Gov. Guy #1. : I don't like this thing here. Let's enact a law that says that people can't look at it/write about it/think about it.
Gov. Guy #2. : Great! There's nothing to stop it, the public, not having that right, has no excuse to outcry, and even if they do and end your career, the law can't be struck down as going against the citizenry's rights, so it'll stay.
Gov. Guy #1. : Cool.

(Vastly oversimplified, I know.)

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I wanna be a politician in the UK and not the states

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Because, of course, if people in the US want the right to own guns, then EVERYONE else must want it too. Because the US is the world's greatest shining example of freedom. It's like a beacon, showing the rest of the world how pathetic their own attempts at democracy are.

The radical idea that UK citizens might actually like handguns being illegal is crazy talk, isn't it?

Look, do we understand politics? If one party has a policy that causes public outcry, then an opposing party will say "vote for us, and we'll change it."

Notice that when the Conservatives banned handguns, Labour didn't say "Hey, all you gun lovers! We'll make them legal again! Vote for us!". And that none of the major parties have policies that involve the bringing back of handguns?

You consider it a right to own items that are designed to kill over long distance. We don't. And we're happy.

We also don't have a Bill of Rights. There is the Magna Carta, but that's obviously DOS to the US's Windows. How the hell have we survived?

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps