Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "Americans" this.... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: "Americans" this....
MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not only a widely accepted stereotype, but a personal stereotype, and if there was an appropriate survey conducted, I am willing to bet a large sum of money that it would be proven correct.
To quote Dr.Evil: "Zip it!"

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so far impressed by the amount of ignorance that has been displayed in here so far. I've seen guys getting off the subject somehow and others who haven't got a clue about what they are talking about.

Yes there is a large number of Americans who are so full of themselves it is really pathetic. However there are those of us who are not ignorant of things outside our countries boundries. (yes I call us Americans because we have America as part of our country name and since nobody else does it shouldn't matter)

Stereotyping happens on this forum and it does seem to be mostly aimed at Americans. Maybe we do take ourselves to seriously or maybe those of us who are taking it seriously are just tired of it all.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's probably the smartest thing I've heard anyone say at this board.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MC Infinity:
...By that I am not including all of those "fundy" countries that are inhabited by creatures with the intellectual capacity of sheep.

I think that I may be grossly offended by this apparently radically stereotyped statement, however, I am not certain to what you are referring. Please let me be wrong.

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Welsh?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Voivod
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody!

I've just registered to this forum, although I've been reading it regularly for several years now (no joke!). I'm a longtime member of the trek bbs (*URL removed, for obvious reasons*, visit us, we'd be happy!). I didn't dare to post here because of my only fundamental knowledge of the English language, but this topic is too interesting for not taking part in the discussion. Please apologise and don't take me for a moron if I make a lot of spelling mistakes.

To the topic: I'm from Switzerland, and this country is known to be a very conservative one. It's the only country in middle-europe which is not part of the European Union. The average citizen in Switzerland is very sceptical about the U.S., because the U.S. democracy is completely underdeveloped compared to the Swiss version, so don't be to proud of your "Bill of Rights." Swiss citizens are allowed to vote several times a year about different political matters. This is called "Direct Democracy".- What you need is about 100'000 signatures of Swiss citizens who are above 18 years, and you can start a vote which concerns every possible matter which doesn't touch our Version of "the Bill of rights", "die Bundesverfassung".

I don't want to bash the U.S.A. in any ways, but I dare to say that our political System is far more developed, and has grown during the last let's say 100 years. I'm not proud to be Swiss (nationalism is a crime, like G.R. said), but I'm happy to live here, and not in the U.S.A. I'm afraid that especially the proud conservative U.S. Citizens like Omega would be shocked at how ridiculous the U.S. System seems to an educated European citizen. We still don't know how it was possible that someone who is that simple-minded and right-wing could be elected to the president of the most powerful country in the world. George Bush is considered extremely right-wing, even in a especially conservative country like Switzerland.

It's true that we Europeans are very influenced by U.S. culture. But this doen't mean that we feel in any kind inferior to the U.S., because there is absolutely no reason for it. If you talk about military power, ok, but which educated person is proud living in the most armed country?!? I'm happy that we have a good health system, and if someone loses his job, he won't become homeless.

I know there are some stereotypes in this text too, but this is our impression of the U.S.A. I have to say that there is a wave of Anti-Americanism in Switzerland right know which goes far beyond my "prejudices". So don't think I'm extreme in my point of view.

Anyway, I enjoy this forums, so I'll keep reading, if you flame me or not

Voivod

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Voivod"...far out. I remember that band.

The Swiss. Ha. We all know what Scott Adams said about them. Look at them. Great watches, bitchin' chocolates, & no one's fucked with them in, what, 1200 years? The seed for the Zakdorn race, tell you. They even guard the damn Pope. And they luscious sweet 50-boat Swiss Navy on Lake Geneva--simply a thing of beauty.

And isn't a "participatory republic" what Vulcan's supposed to have?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voivod: I'd say your ability to use the English language is better than you thought. Better than quite a few of the native-speakers here, actually... *L*

Just one thing, though... It's difficult to compare the US and Swiss governments on the basis of representative vs. direct democracies. Your country has slightly more than one-fortieth of the US' population. It's a lot easier to have a direct democracy of seven million people than one that's approaching three hundred million.

Voivod
Ex-Member

@Shik: Have you ever been to Switzerland? It doesn't consist of watches and cows. Typical U.S. ignorance. But you're influenced by the swiss touristical activities in the U.S. (...which seem to work!) , so you're excused.

I'm sorry for the "adverstisent" of my favorite Discussion Board, I didn't want do do any promotion. It's ok you deleted it.

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Voivod ]

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far out, Omega is known even outside of our discussion circle!!

ROCK ON OMEGA!

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I'm hardly ignorant, Bubba. I was going for the funny power-up. Apparently I did NOT win the game.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Voivod
Ex-Member

I'm sorry if I didn't get the ironical part of your post, Shik By the way, is "Bubba" an insult? I really don't know!

Yes, I know the name "Omega", because the bad things are easier to be remembered. Don't care about me, Omega, just some silly words from a newbie

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Bubba's an insult. I'm not sure.

I have to say, it's one of the more interesting posts to come up. Swiss democracy is obviously far more different from US democracy that, say the UK's or Canada's. And it's nice to have a different point of view.

Tim: You say it'd be hard. Sure it'd be hard to do in the form it is in Switzerland right now, but that doesn't mean it'd be impossible. I'm sure you could make the argument that democracy only works in small groups, and for large numbers of people, a single leader is required, otherwise you'd get bogged down in committees. But it's been proven that you don't need a monarch to run a country, or a dictator.

I do wonder where US politics will end up. Will we end up at the point where the split between national and EU politics will be the same as state and national US politics?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:

I think that I may be grossly offended by this apparently radically stereotyped statement, however, I am not certain to what you are referring. Please let me be wrong.

I'm sorry, but if you beleive that you are from a fundy country, then you are insulting yourself, are you not?

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

Shik
Member # 343

Voivod: No, "Bubba" isn't an insult...not from ME, anyway. It's a term... ::: pauses & thinks ::: Well, it's hard to explain without derailing the topic. But it's from "Nash Bridges." He's a soulbond.

And a participatory democracy wouldn't be as impossible as it used to be anymore. The advent of the internet & all that.

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps