Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "Americans" this.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: "Americans" this....
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...you do know that there are other countries that have freedome of speech? And, shock horror, they don't even have a Bill of Rights. Or a US Constitution."

What's your point? You have laws that give people freedom of speech. We have laws that give people freedom of speech. Our laws just happen to have a name: "the Bill of Rights". Just because your laws don't have that name, how does that make them any different?

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You seem to be in a big hurry to compare all the good things about what the UK is proud of to all the bad things about what the US is proud of.

Why not be proud of both the good things?

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

We also don't have a Bill of Rights. There is the Magna Carta, but that's obviously DOS to the US's Windows. How the hell have we survived?

Liam is right! The US bill of right is pure shit! Therefore it's comparison to Windows is entirely accurate
The American Bill of Rights gives people a bit too many rights, and allows a lot of shit that doesn't happen in civilized countries to happen there.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"a bit too many rights"

I don't think you can ever have too many rights.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A right to kill is probably one of those that you shouldn't have, I can keep going if need be on rights that people should never have.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, please do. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone complain that we have too many rights before. I do believe I may have found an intellectually honest liberal. I am appropriately amazed.

Honestly, you think that people don't have a right to kill under any circumstances? Even if their lives and the lives of others are threatened?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a "right to kill." We're not a nation of 600 million (or whatever) double-oh duty agents. It's a right that came about becasue at the time, it was an important issue. The British relieved colonist of their weapons, thus not only making it difficult for them to revolt but also relieving many of them of their right to EAT.

The NRA & the gun lobbyists are right on certain things: guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns merely make it easier, thus shortening the thought-to-action process by removing the difficulties involved. Ironically, this is known as the "Reagan effect," after the former president's ability to go directly from subconscious thought to speech, circumventing the step of conscious reviewal.

The key is responsibilities, & not just on guns; this is a universal constant now. There is no such thing as "personal responsibility" in this nation anymore. Get burnrd because the coffee was hot? Sue the company. Never might that you're a fuckin' clumsy oaf, you get $25 million. Your donut-monster fat ass can't fit into the movie seats? Don't think about a diet, Shamu, just sue for discrimination & make the rest of us pay for your laziness via rising costs. Almost die because you decided to eat suet made for birds? You're not an incompetent fuck, you're a victim. Sue the company for not printing "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" on it! Never MIND that it said right on there that it was 35% crude fat, 25% crude protein, 35% crude fiber, & 5% seed. A friend of mine said he was tired of "hearing all these fucks whine about Microsoft. 'I WANT SOME OF THAT GUY'S MONEY!!' And they'll get it, too."

People in this nation today seem to think that HAVING the right means that we'll lose it unless we exercise it, & exercise it CONSTANTLY. This might be true for some--freedom of expression, right to a swift & fair trial, defense against self-incrimination--but others it is.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem*

Excuse me, but I'd just like to point out that "America" is the name given to the combined continents of North and South America, not one single country. Thank you.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What's your point? You have laws that give people freedom of speech. We have laws that give people freedom of speech. Our laws just happen to have a name: "the Bill of Rights". Just because your laws don't have that name, how does that make them any different?"

They don't. That was the point I'm making. Against Omega saying that US rights CAN'T be violated, because you have the Bill of Rights, and against First of Two saying that UK rights ARE violated, by giving the example of the handgun ban.

Yes, the Bill of Rights is great and all. But it's hardly unique in what it's produced.

I was also being with the funny. I = Master of the humour. Duh.

Also, I don't recall comparing "all the good things about what the UK is proud of to all the bad things about what the US is proud of". I was just pointing out that nearly all the stuff the US is proud of applies to other countries, who don't go on about it all the time.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Magna Carta? I've read it. Frankly, I wasn't impressed.

Freedom of speech? Not in it. Peacable assembly? Nope. The common man petitioning the government for a redress of greviances? Nope.

Mostly, it was written solely for the rights of the aristocracy, and it's mostly about who can own what land and such... and then there's the anti-environmental Article #47, and the nicely written Article #54, which says that no man can be arrested for murder on the testimony of a woman... unless he killed her husband. I guess women make lousy witnesses?

And forgive me, but I don't think that the Magna Carta IS the supreme law of the UK, anyway. When Parliament enacts a new law, does anybody check to see if it conflicts with the MC? I doubt it, unless it gives the royals power, which isn't likely.

The Brits DO have a "Bill of Rights" from 1689, but again, speech and peaceable assembly are not included, although the redress of greviances is.

The right to bear arms for self-defense IS included... but only for Protestants.

[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheesh.. We've gone from Stereotyping to "Bill of Rights"

Call me guilty of Stereotyping but .. Whenever conversations like this happen - it always goes to the damn bill of rights!

Wanna talk about stereotyping ... LET'S...

Candian have long endured the stereotyping of Americans...

"Noo doot aboot it.. Eh!"

Everytime I speak to an american.. I have to endure the annoying observation, "You must be a Canadian... EH.." and "Why can't you people talk up there ..??"

Like the american way is the ONLY way to talk.. well I'll tell ya something .. The mid-southern United States has much to be proud of when it comes to Language Brutalization!!

We Canadians, or Europeans, or Aussies or whatever stereotype.. SURE WE DO...

But Americans are no better !!! They stereotype too .. Problem is.. We Canadians, European and etc... simply don't give a shit! Americans seem to take is personally (Some of them do.. not all!!! Let me add that!)

I'm not an American basher by any stretch .. but c'mon .. bring up American StereoTyping??? .. first look at yourselves before judging the rest of the world!

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

MC Infinity
Member # 531

I quite frankly beleive a lot of those stereotypes to be true, because the level of ignorance and hypocrisy that is exibited by the USA in one day totals to that of the rest of the world put together in a year. The USA is by far the most ignorant nation of people on this planet. By that I am not including all of those "fundy" countries that are inhabited by creatures with the intellectual capacity of sheep.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Everytime I speak to an american.. I have to endure the annoying observation, "You must be a Canadian... EH.." and "Why can't you people talk up there ..??"

EVERY time? I don't believe you. I think you're stereotyping, probably due to defensiveness about being a Canadian.

quote:
because the level of ignorance and hypocrisy that is exibited by the USA in one day totals to that of the rest of the world put together in a year

You can't back that up. Therefore, it is a stereotype. You are a dupe.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MC Infinity
Member # 531

Read my post before you say dumb shit! I admitted that to be a stereotype!

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

NO, you didn't. You stated that as a fact. Not as an example of YOUR OWN stereotyping.

For instance, if I said "MCInfinity's town is full of inbred, mentally-deficient hen-teasers", that would be a stereotyped statement put forth as FACT, which is what you did.

If, however, I had said "the STEREOTYPE or COMMONLY HELD BELIEF is that MCInfinity's town is full of inbred, mentally-deficient hen-teasers", then that would be 'admission of a stereotype.'
Which is NOT what you did.

I'm sorry if what you meant isn't what you said, but that's hardly my fault.

To quote Scott Evil... "Ass."

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps