Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Voyager Motion Picture (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Voyager Motion Picture
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
I also left out "In the Pale Moonlight." But those sins are gone! I am forgiven.

--------------------
Meh

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Liam again*

It ain't working, boy.

Sorry about the long delay in replying, but my Internet connection died a couple days ago. Anyway, I think Sol System nailed the reasons on the head. I, personally, do not think that either a Voyager or a Deep Space Nine movie will be made. I think instead that Paramount may try a mixed cast movie or two. The simple reason is that Deep Space Nine didn't carry as much in the ratings as The Next Generation, and Voyager didn't carry as much in the ratings as Deep Space Nine. Add to that, Deep Space Nine was a very complex show with multiple subplots that weaved through a good deal of the series. It wasn't too talky or a soap opera, it was just overall good television. Translating that to the movie screen would be a gigantic task. Translating that to the movie screen and making it good would require a Herculean effort.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm loath to kick this discussion down the path I am about to kick it, but to fully explain myself I feel like I need to toss in an example or two. Keep in mind that these are my own, foolish, small-minded opinions.

Ok then. So there was this Other Space Station Show once. And it made some TV movies. Like any possible DS9 film, these were supposed to be watchable by people who had no prior experience with the OSSS. And, uh, they didn't quite work. The one that did was tied up heavily in events from the show. The other two were not. They also weren't all that good, possibly because they had nothing to do with the OSSS's strengths.

Now, there are a few differences here. DS9, while being relatively intensive as far as plot depth went, is far more supportive, at least historically, of adventures that had little to do with the overall plot structure.

Anyway, that's what I think.

Oh, and as for casts...Traffic? I'm not sure it's possible to have a film more unlike what a DS9 film would be than this. Although...a series of loosely connected viginettes about the dangers of beetle snuff...nah.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would slightly disagree about Thirdspace. I thought it was enormous fun, and more accessable to the non fans than the other two (or three) movies. If they were going to do non-arc B5 movies, then Thirdspace was a fine one to imitate.

River of Souls though exhaled large chunks though.

But it's true, DS9 is more flexible in it's format. It can support non-arc stories easily, and usually did. But a movie about non-arc stuff might not play to the series strengths. It might, but trying to explain the backstory is an accessible manner might be impossible to do in a two hour film.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't keep hopes up for a DS9 film, Berman and Co. gave up on that a long time ago. Nemesis is touted the final TNG film, as Undiscovered Country was for TOS. Even though TUC had major box office business it was the final chapter in the TOS saga. I think it's time for Stewart to pass on the captain's chair, to Sisko or Janeway.

I don't think Viacom will wait for Enterprise's final season. For the same reason people say they won't make a VGR film , they won't do ENT because it's on UPN, the bad ratings network. If you put a show on U you can't hope to be a hit.

Viacom, Paramount's parent company, needs to put Trek back in syndication were it did it's best. UPN does need a cornerstone but can't they choose something else. They dream for a hit, which will probably not happen. News Corp., Fox's parent company, recently bought most of the UPN stations.

Especially in Utah. What will Carl Malone watch?

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, there is not going to be a Trek film called Nemesis. Trust me. If there is, I'll...well, likely do nothing. But trust me anyway.

Secondly, no one has said anything about DS9 being eager to jump into the movie game. Have you read any of the posts here? They've all been: "Voyager film? That's as unlikely as a DS9 one." Not: "Voyager film? That's less likely than a DS9 one."

Thirdly, Voyager WAS syndicated in non-UPN areas. Enterprise is likely to be as well. And UPN is looking a lot healthier today thanks to its rather unexpected programming coup.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

How much did TUC make? Less than $200 million. Not a major box office hit, Doctor, just a godd film.

--------------------
Meh

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Just checked the IMDb, Doc. It seems you were wrong. TUC made $94 million. That's not major box office business. But, you were assuming the box office thing, because it was the last TOS film, and I would've thought that too. Only 94?

--------------------
Meh

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
That's considered a hit in Trek films. FC only made $92 mill and Insurrection grossed only $70 million. Since reports say Paramount has trademarked Nemesis it is the only title we know of now. Trek X is just to bland.

Each latter day Trek series lasted seven seasons, you only need five seasons to go into syndication (reruns). Or maybe UPN needed the money and sold Voyager , before it's 5th season to independent stations.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Voyager was in first-run syndication. This shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp. In areas where UPN had no affiliates, Paramount made the show available to independant stations. Thus, I saw Voyager on FOX every Saturday.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next film after ST:X couldn't be Enterprise - since it sold only be into its 3rd or 4th season.

Even if Patrick Stewart hangs up the towel, there are plenty of available (read: affordable) TNG actors who would be great for ST:XI. Both Riker and LaForge would make great captains (timeless). Both have complex characters whom the audience has grown to love. Even Captain Kim may show up for a Cameo. Admiral Janeway may or not get a pivital role - but you can bet she'll be involved.

As I see it, ST:XI may well be an ensemble film - not just in actors but regarding the series they originated from.

Hell, let's have the whole 9 yards! Captain Archer could make a cameo - either as a historic flashback, or brought to the future by Q! Captain Braxton (freshly cured and reintegrated) could try to keep it all straight.

I just read the above again prior to sending it. I can't decide if I'm being sarcastic - or if it really is a good idea...

Meds!!!!!

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Braxton: "No, I'll try to keep it all straight."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You determined that LaForge would make a great captain from Timeless? Were you watching a version where he did something other than appear on a small screen and say "I'll shoot you. I will. And second now. Don't think I won't. Yes. I'm going to count to 5."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There will not be a Voyager movie.

There will not be a Deep Space Nine movie.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

There is no easter bunny.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps