Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Voyager Motion Picture (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Voyager Motion Picture
Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad because it said Ninth or because I posted it?

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's bad because it's writing about Trek from a non-Trek perpsective, and therefore doesn't really 'get' it. It's also bad because it speaks some home truths about DS9 that most people would object to. The article says the show was sedentary and didn't go anywhere; they say it allowed for arc episodes and therefore more realistic storytelling which really allowed for the characters to face the consequences of their actions. The article dismisses the addition of the Defiant as an attempt to broaden the show, nothing more than a gimmick; they say TEH DEFINAT ROOLZ AND IS THE KULEST SHP EVER AND TEH WAY IT BLOS UP THE DOMINIONION SHIPZ ROKZ!!!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latest rumours are that Janeway will have some cameos in STX talking to Picard on a computer display.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Conundrum
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a movie that gets back into The Traveler and um... I can't even remember his name but the Doctors son from TNG...

I remember he left with the Traveler... then I think they had a real brief spot with him on like the last episode i think then nothing more was ever said of him in the movies... Where'd he go?

And a movie all about the borg... You know you only see them in the episodes every once and a while... but what are they doing the rest of the time... could be interesting...

^ same for the Q... Like who are they anyway? Do they have some weird technology that just makes them seem to have such awesome power, are they God? If they're powers are illusion that would be my guess...

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His name is Wesley. And many of us don't want to see him again.

And we already had a movie that featured the Borg heavily. It was called Star Trek: First Contact. You may have seen it...or at least heard of it. It came out in 1996.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
Wesley "I saved the ship so many times, even though I'm just a kid and the Enerprise is full of Starfleet's best and supoosedly brightest" Crusher.
I'm glad he left in "Journey's End." His mother should have thanked him and thrown a party when he left.

--------------------
Meh

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want a new ship and new crew to make a movie out of? Well, how 'bout this?

CHAKOTAY AS CAPTAIN!

What?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Chakotay In Charge."

Ha. I slay me.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't, someone will. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

Chakotay in charge would kill the whole purpose for a new crew.

--------------------

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as he wasn't driving, eh? Now but about ST movies. I worry that the studios want to make blockbusters. I suspect that the audience is changing. Slowly but surely the blockbuster paradigm is petering out. How many movies came out this summer and made a huge impact the openning weekend only to disappear the next weekend? It was a lot. I think 'Legally Blonde' (I know!) was the only one with some staying power (albeit mercifully brief). If that isn't saying something...

I dunno, are we rating the success of films on the basis of how much money they make now? In that case pretty much the whole Trek franchise might be considered a dismal failure. I certainly wouldn't call it that. These films are made for a niche market. Blockbusters generally aren't made for a target audience other than people who go see movies. We are the ST niche market. We decide whether we would pay money to go see a Voyager movie. Were I a studio I would look here and places like this to see whether we could make any money with a DS9 or VOY film and if this board is any accurate representation (opinion reserved) I would have to say no. I happen to think that fantastic movies could be made from either of these series (or even both together!), but I don't think enough people feel the same way and so there isn't an audience for it. The idea is gone. Simple as that.

That being said, now here's how they could keep the budget down a bit and make a little noise for Trek (schilling for ENT, maybe). They might even make it a special project for an "indie" sub-production company. I would personally love to see an arthouse adaptation noire conspiracy film shot mostly on Terra Firma with 8472 infiltrators running amuck in human society. Maybe a surprise twist traitor amongst us. 'Manchurian Candidate' meets 'Species' There'd only be one or two space battle sequences, a smaller cast (if Beltran indeed said 'no') and it might have kind of a horror touch. It could be scaled way down, and if it looked like it was gonna tank, they track it to a TV movie of the week for TNN and wouldn't be out that much. If they wanted to do it super cheap (and maybe capitalize on some of the production spillage from EP2 'Attack of the Silly Names'), they could even shoot it on HD DV. I'm not that up on DS9, can't think of anything specific, but I'm sure something similar could be done (The Cardassians are SUCH great bad guys)

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

Didn't the Cardassians join the Federation?

--------------------

-----------------
The West Wing

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I worry that the studios want to make blockbusters.

NOOO ... you think?

Phlox, by the end of DS9, the Cardassians hadn't joined the Federation. They'd just barely survived the attempted genocide of their race by the Founders, and half their fleet got blown up before they defected. I'd assume that Cardassia will be a Federation protectorate for awhile, and may someday join the UFP. Even if it doesn't, they'll be close allies.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have said '...I worry that the studios only want to make blockbusters...' Meaning to the exclusion of smaller films...

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps