Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Voyager Motion Picture (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Voyager Motion Picture
Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
Then what are they going to do untill Enterprise is over. Since this is touted the final TNG outing.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trek X hasn't been touted as the final TNG outing, per se. It's just rumoured as such, and the actors are mumbling about it as such. A TNG-based Trek XI would most certainly be made if
  • Trek X makes a serious profit (it may well)
    and
  • the actors have little by way of other career opportunities lined up (most won't)
    and
  • no other cast will be available to make the film about that would bring in the public in the same numbers as the TNG cast would (none will).

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
    "I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

• Dr Phlox
    Member # 680

People thought VOY would be a hit, look how wrong they were

--------------------

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
    -----------------
    The West Wing

Sol System
    two dollar pistol
    Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    More importantly, why on Earth can't they make an Enterprise movie while the show is on the air, if they were to choose to do so?
    Dr Phlox
    Member # 680

The movie would kind of be like a another season finale. THere would be to many loose ends for the average movie goer to comprehend. Also the movie would have to go along the same storyline as the show.They could do as Rugrats did and have the movies and series parallel. We'll have to see how well Enterprise does ratings wise. DS9 was prodominetly in the top 10 during it's 7 seasons, so non-trekkers or trekkies would know about it.

--------------------

-----------------
    The West Wing

Sol System
    two dollar pistol
    Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Top ten what?
    Dr Phlox
    Member # 680

Ratings.

--------------------

-----------------
    The West Wing

OnToMars
    Now on to the making of films!
    Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Or what about a movie about a new crew and ship altogether? This may seem an odd proposal, but - IF well written - you wouldn't need as much exposition as a regular movie and surely there are many galactic adventures to be had.

There isn't any hinderance as far as writing is concerned. And one could always pull a Generations and have the first one be balanced between TNG and the new crew.

Its viable, though much to big a risk for TPTB to ever try. Would be neat though.

--------------------
    If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Dr Phlox
    Member # 680

This would be most intriguing. But you are right you need something that people know in the Trek film universe.

--------------------

-----------------
    The West Wing

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    With the possible exception of the first season, DS9 never cracked the Top 10 in ratings.

--------------------
    "I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Dr Phlox
    Member # 680

"Deep Space Nine" Shuts Down
    by Michael Szymanski
    Jun 5, 1999, 12:50 PM PT

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine--the show named for a rickety space station--is being 86'd from television Saturday like, well, like Mir space junk.

This is the third series spin-off of the original Star Trek, and it lasted seven seasons--more than twice as long as the original. It won Emmys, earned critical acclaim and ranked, on average, ninth among all syndicated shows in the ratings on 241 stations. But for some reason, it didn't quite catch on with denizens like other Trek TV shows and films.

DS9, starring Avery Brooks as Captain Benjamin Sisko, and debuting in January 1993, will close out Saturday with a two-hour episode.

"It's very obvious why this show didn't take off, it's very sedentary," says Roger Nygard, director of the fan documentary Trekkies. "It's about a space station where people came to them, rather than a moving spaceship that took them to a new planet and new scenario each week."

Although writers tried everything from creating a wormhole that zapped ships across the galaxy, to sticking some of the cast on a starship called the Defiant, the show never ignited like The Next Generation (which also lasted seven seasons, but like the original, spawned a series of motion pictures) or even Voyager (entering its seventh--and many believe final--season on the UPN).

Still, Nine had its supporters.

"It was the most political, most cohesive and most revolutionary of all the Star Trek series," says sci-fi writer Andy Mangels, of Portland, Oregon, who co-wrote the Star Trek comic series and answers questions daily about the shows on his Hollywood Heroes Internet site (www.anotheruniverse.com/amhh/amhh080197.html).

"This show had a lot of misfits. It was dark, edgy and unsettling, and it could have reached a wider audience if it didn't have the Star Trek name attached," assesses Mangels. "It will be known as the black sheep of the series, but some of the characters will undoubtedly find their way into other shows, maybe even the movies."

Indeed, in terms of imagination, DS 9 pulled out all stops: spats with the big-eared Ferengi, wars with the Dominion and an errant holographic lounge singer.

"This is the first time in Star Trek history that the story is really over," says 16-year-old Gabriel Koerner, of Bakersfield, California, who was featured in Trekkies--and who already saw the final episode. (According to docu-director Nygard, Koerner was recently on a radio show with William Shatner and got more calls than Captain Kirk himself.)

"I'd say when we're looking back 10 or 20 year from now," Koerner adds, DS9 will be viewed as the Star Trek that dared to be different, that it took chances, that it was good and got lost in the shuffle."

--------------------

-----------------
    The West Wing

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

Ninth among all syndicated shows. What you're saying about Deep Space Nine is akin to considering a football team "in the top ten" when it placed ninth in the Arena League standings.

--------------------

Sol System
    two dollar pistol
    Member # 30

Worst article ever.
    Wes
    Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
    Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    You know what? I see enough reviews about trek stuff that I think are utter bullshit to make me sick. I could care less what other people say. I liked DS9 and thats all that matters to me. )
    OnToMars
    Now on to the making of films!
    Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Well the author does have a point. It was different and for better of worse this is the way it ended up.

DS9 has become my favorite upon rediscovery (I'm watching it right now) and if the show never has the popularity of TNG, then oh well. There's an episodic nature about starships and a new planet every week, and DS9 did a great job with the story arc format that has become the recent trend in television. One might say (bearing in mind that I am not making a definitive statement) that DS9 was ahead of its time.

--------------------
    If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps