Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $Does Berman know anything? Nemesis MINOR spoilers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $Does Berman know anything? Nemesis MINOR spoilers
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Pooh to you Liam! [Smile]

BERMAN LOVER!! [Smile]

Actually Braga-lover would be worse... actually VOYAGER-->Braga-lover would be even MORE worse [Smile]

I wonder if Rick Berman has a copy of the Encyclopaedia on his desk?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But this isn't about not knowing about Remus. It's about not knowing that Remus is inhabitated by Remans. Im sure almost everyone assumed that Remus is inhabitated by Romulans too.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's true. I always assumed that there was no native species other than the Romulans on the twin worlds. So I guess when thinking directly about "Remans" -- I would've gone "who?"

But at the same time, once Logan mentioned the planets Romulus and Remus, that would've cinched it for me. Obviously, NO ONE had heard of the Remans before Logan.

Now, I don't expect Mr. Berman to be a walking edition of the "Star Trek Encyclopedia." I'm just saying that it's amusing that I know more about the franchise than he does. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe, but his job doesn't actually involve knowing about the minute details of the Star Trek universe. I'd bet that he doesn't know the Defiant's registry, or Sisko's middle name either. On the other hand, I bet no-one here has any idea how to run a muti-million dollar franchise business.

Personally, I've never given the planet Remus much thought. Or indeed, any thought. It's had no impact at all on the Star Trek universe (until now), in any way, shape or form.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But at the same time, once Logan mentioned the planets Romulus and Remus, that would've cinched it for me.
Exactly. And maybe Berman knew about Logan was talking when he mentioned Romulus and Remus.

Remember that the dialogue was:

Logan: The Remans.
Berman: Who?
Logan: The Remans.

And not:

Logan: The Remans?
Logan: Romulus and Remus?
Berman: What?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I was tossing up whether to type Romii or RomII (cause Romii looks sorta weird, and RomII could be taken as Rom "2")

I though that's what it was SUPPOSED to be "taken as."

Romii=Romulus II=Remus. Right? [Confused]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please tell me you're joking...

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's a bit out there, but I don't think it's totally unreasonable, especially as a retcon. The original display just listed "ROM" and "ROMII" as I recall. At least, I don't think Romulus was spelled out. I do know it was all in capitals.
Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also thought it was ROM"II" as in "ROM 2". and according to my telepathay, so did Mike Okuda. so STFU.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect I've missed the funny here, but I'll point out that Okuda talks about "Romii" under the encyclopedia entry for Remus.
Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you missed the fact that it was a joke. not necessarily funny, but it was lacking seriousness.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Balance of Terror" display (as shown in the Encyclopedia-2, p. 417) says "ROMULUS" and "ROMII".
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:
Please tell me you're joking...

I don't get what you're saying. No, I'm not joking. Remus is the SECOND PLANET IN THE ROMULAN SYSTEM, or Romii for short. What are you talking about?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your supposition is giving me a headache.

If that's what it was supposed to mean, maybe they'd have put a space?

[Roll Eyes] this is just an example of the TOS graphics guys not meeting up with the script guys on the twin homeworlds of the empire concept.. miscommunication as to what it was named.. we went with the spoken version over the viewed version, and call it Remus. Write off Remus having a dual name like so many other planets do.

Are we coming up with retarded half-assed explanations as to why Vulcan is also Vulcanis sometimes? Andor and Andoria? Earth and Terra? no..

because its not such a fucking big deal.

but coming up with a far-fetched theory and parceling it out as the gospel truth? thats just annoying...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the way I see it, it's highly unlikely that a group of aliens would name their homeworlds after mythological characters from a planet they've never heard of. So, probably, the Romulan word for "Romulus" or "Romulan" sounds pretty close to the English word. That's why Terrans called it "Romulus". Then, since there was a "brother" planet which also started w/ an 'r' sound, it only made sense to refer to it as "Remus", even if the Romulan name for it was actually "Romii".
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps