Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $Does Berman know anything? Nemesis MINOR spoilers (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $Does Berman know anything? Nemesis MINOR spoilers
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I remember from college:

The speed of change in a species (evolution) depends on a number of things, including the rate of mutation and the degree of selective pressure. Mutations arise through errors in DNA replication and damage to DNA through chemicals and radiation. The rate at which these errors occur may be low and stable (through chance mistakes) or may be higher or lower depending on the amount of radiation and mutagenic chemicals in the environment. These mutations are usually neither harmless nor beneficial and have no effect on the survival of the individual (or breeding success). Other mutations do effect survival, but how they affect survival can also depend on the enviroment. Some mutations are immediately fatal, of course, such as one that would cause us to be born without a brain. However, let's say a mutation causes us to grow thick hair all over our bodies rather than just on our heads. If one of us had such a mutation, it might decrease our chances of finding a mate and passing on the gene (unless a prospective mate likes dogs). On the other hand, if an ice age came along, such a mutation would quickly become beneficial by allowing us to survive the cold whether. The would survive to mate, and the gene would be passed on.

So, Remans might evolve from Romulans quickly (100 generations) if selective pressures are strong and if mutations arise at a high rate (through increased environmental radiation or artificial induction).

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's quickly dissuade ourselves of the notion that anyone who knows anything about biology has put much thought into anything Trek.

Anyway, I've been avoiding spoilers, and don't know much more about the film than what's in the trailer (what little I've ever been able to see of it.) However, I have a question. Are we to understand that Remus is tidally locked with, uh, the Romulan star?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
something else has to be going on with the Romulan genome since they developed huge foreheads and rounder ears somewhere between 'The Undiscovered Country' and 'The Neutral Zone', a scant 69 years later... unless the Reman mutation took the few hundred generations we suppose, and then was additionally introduced into the general Romulan genome to the point where the smooth-headed Romulans became the minority over that span.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Some mutations are immediately fatal, of course, such as one that would cause us to be born without a brain."

Seems to me that this mutation is not only non-fatal, but fairly common...

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone could probably come up with a theory involving genetic warfare and the similar Klingon change between TOS and the movies.

I'm pretty sure that no one will ever come up with an adequate "natural" explanation for that rate of change in a couple centuries.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think though that the foreheads on the Romulans are suppossed to be a change. I think it's one of those "The were always there, but we couldn't see it" type things. (The Klingon forehead lended itself to a similar explanation too, expecially with Kathless and Kor & co. "Trials and Tribble-ations" mucked that up though.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that Romulans == Vulcans, and Vulcans have no ridges.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize this == business may cut the mustard with Java-freaks, but for those of us just a little bit more classical in our outlooks it just doesn't hold up. Vulcans are not "identical in every way" to Romulans. For one thing, they live on Vulcan, a place where there is nary a Romulan to be found.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BUT! The reverse is or was not true. Spock lived in a cave on Romulanworld.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I was going to remove my comment, because now I'm all confused vis a vis mathematical notation vs. programming languages. And yet, how could I ruin the conversational flow in such a gross manner?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Syntax error

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Error 404: Sanity not found
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did wonder why no-one noticed Spock on Romulas. If all Romulans have forehead ridges, why didn't they see that he was a Vulcan?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Clever use of a hood. It worked before.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I did wonder why no-one noticed Spock on Romulas. If all Romulans have forehead ridges, why didn't they see that he was a Vulcan?

I submit that ridged Vulcans are a minority and non-ridged Romulans are likewise a minority... but both exist, and neither would arouse suspicion.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps