Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $Does Berman know anything? Nemesis MINOR spoilers (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $Does Berman know anything? Nemesis MINOR spoilers
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, within reason. Romulus feels like a place where everything rouses suspicion.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why he said that.....

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, that may be an important point. Romulans are apparently very suspicious (in the TNG era, anyway). And we know that Spock is relatively famous (or infamous), dating all the way back to "The Enterprise Incident."

Shouldn't SOMEONE have recognized him? Spock was apparently walking around in public for a week or two, maybe more. And I don't believe that he had the hood on all the time -- like in that initial surveillance image. Shouldn't at least SOME local Romulan security guy/snitch with a "perverse" fascination for things Federation/Vulcan have noticed this guy?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, if a Galaxy class starship can be destroyed by a 20 year old BOP, then Spock can walk around unnoticed on Romulus.
IP: Logged
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the ridges, the different subsections of humanity have different bone structures. So its no inconcieveable that the Romulans are also racially different from the Vulcans. And thus have a slightly different appearance.

As an extension of this, we know that the Romulans are warlike (and racially prejudiced), and thus may have taken slaves with them on their journey to found a new empire. The Remans themselves may be another race from Vulcan.

The Romulans then dumped the excess population of slaves on Remus. This would give them a 'homeland', whilst keeping a ready supply of labour on hand within the Romulan system. Thus accounting for their subserviance, and their similar appearance.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem is that the assumption has long been that the Vulcan/Romulan split was philosophical and socio-political, and not divided along racial lines.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
The only problem is that the assumption has long been that the Vulcan/Romulan split was philosophical and socio-political, and not divided along racial lines.

Well, it's been a stated fact on numerous occasions in TNG that Romulans are genetically different than Vulcans. In fact, as far back as TOS "The Enterprise Incident," scanners could distinguish between the lifesigns of the two.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Hooray for (an admittedly scant) 2000 years of genetic drift?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's conceivable that the majority of the members of one race could also be the majority of the proponents of a particular philosophy...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite funny that nobody noticed that the guy on the Page 3-screenshot isn't a Reman but a vampire from BtVS.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on the number of proto-Romulans that left Vulcan 2000 years ago, the genetic differences between Romulans and Vulcans in the 24th c could be enormous. Whenever small groups are isolated, interbreed, and establish a population, genes that were at very low frequency in the original population have a much higher frequency and become more "important." (The island effect) If the proto-Romulans were a oppressed minority group that had a slight racial difference from the Vulcan race, the racial difference could become more pronounced through isolation after emigration from Vulcan. Let's say that the original Vulcan population had a range of forehead ridges from completely human smooth to something looking like vulcans but that most people had fairly smooth foreheads. If the proto-Romulan group happened to have a higher number of people with more pronounced ridges (either by chance or by racial differences), the resulting Romulan population would naturally have more pronounced than Vulcans.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, the guy on the Page 3-screenshot isn't a Reman but a vampire from BtVS! [Razz]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But he's not broody and handsome and wearing poofy hair gel.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's hard to distinguis Orcs, Remans and Vampires.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's the Master! Not to be confused with The Master, The Master, or indeed, the Master.

If I was clever, I'd make links to each of those individual masters that I was referring to. But I'm not, so you'll just have to guess.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps