Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Breen (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Breen
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rolls eyes*

sheesh Topher - fuccccckkk!

I'm right, just without the quotation marks.

a la the "Kosh I/II fight" <- correct
a la the Kosh I/II fight <- correct without the marks
a la Kosh I/II fight <- totally incorrect it'd have to be

a la Kosh I/II fighting - which destroys the intent of the sentence.

Gawd.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree w/ Chris, since "la" does mean "the", except that, in the phrase "à la", it doesn't matter anyway, since it's grammatically incomplete to start with. "À la" == "in the". It's supposed to mean "in the manner of", but the rest of it gets dropped. So, to be really correct, you'd have to say "à la mode de the Kosh I/II fight".

And I wasn't comparing the Breen to the Vorlons. I was comparing the fact that the Breen wear mysterious suits to the fact that the Vorlons wear mysterious suits. It has nothing to do w/ the reason they wear them. It has to do w/ the fact that they are both presented to the viewers in a "What's under the suit? You don't get to know!" manner.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vous des types avez mani�re trop d'heure sur vos mains.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'est juste parce que j'�tudiais le langue pour quelques ans. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original use of Babblefish brings much hilarity!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You of the types have manner too of hour on your hands."

???

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You people have too much time on your hands"?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that's what he meant to say, even though he didn't succeed. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the thing is, the Gaim would have been like the Breen and the Vorlons, then very mysterious - what is under the suit. When we eventually saw what was under the suit... it was like - that sucks. It's better left to the imagination...

Same with the Tholians if they do it - it will never do justice to what people have been imaginging they look for the past 34 years.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what ARE Tholians? Is the thing on the viewscreen a Tholian in total? Just a helmet on a larger creature? I have heard that Tholians are crytstaline....but by TNG that seems unlikely. When the Crystaline Entity (christmas tree?) first shows up, everyone comments about how that form of life is so unique and has never been encountered before.....

Mabye the Breen ARE the Tholians! Think about it: change uniforms, screw over your long time enemies and have your race remain neutral. [Wink]
What a good scam that would be! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once, while young, I saw a comic book that had the Tholians in it. Take the "head" that we were shown, and design the body accordingly. It looked very dumb.

Although. There was a Miranda-Class USS Stockholm, NCC-16544. I think.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably squeeked when it walked too!
...like glasses rubbing aganst each other.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCC-18544.. jeez, man! dont mess up something like that. actually.. i dunno, but it was 18 something.

yeah the DC comics versions of them were lame. my favorite would be the Worlds of the Federation depiction, but even that leaves something to be desired.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the DC comic Magnus is referring to. And he is correct. The Tholians looked incredibly stupid, and acted accordingly. However, a later comic (don't remember the company) showed Loskene again, and the art was very well done in my opinion. It again showed only his head, but this time he was an ebony color, with smoke hovering all around him. It was a nice effect, IMHO.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
but by TNG that seems unlikely. When the Crystaline Entity (christmas tree?) first shows up, everyone comments about how that form of life is so unique and has never been encountered before.....

You mean like how every single time a shapeshifter showed up (Garth, Iman, Wesley's girlfriend, changelings) everyone reacted as if they'd never seen one before.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps