Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Saw it! WOOT! (SPOILERS! TONS OF THEM! STAY AWAY! WARNINGWARNING!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Saw it! WOOT! (SPOILERS! TONS OF THEM! STAY AWAY! WARNINGWARNING!)
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
So who's the freaky guy who hangs out with Shinzon? [Frown]

Sorry, I must've got caught up in the excitement. [Smile] Massive spoilers, of course....

That's the Viceroy, a Reman who worked in the Reman mines with the young Shinzon. He was supposedly part of Shinzon's army in the Dominion War, and helped him build power and acquire the Scimitar. He also has telepathic powers, and during that scene entered Troi's mind and committed a "Violations"-style mental rape against her.

Troi later turns the tables, letting the Enterprise find the Scimitar.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I must see the movie. *sigh*

Seeing as this is a massive spoiler thread by nature, and I haven't found out elsewhere, are the Remans offshoots (a la Vulcans and Romulans) of the Romulans or are they generally the same species?

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back. Saw the first showing too, (well in canadian maritimes anyway)it was a great movie, although somewhat lacking in intensity sure it was intense but they could've been a little closer to earth and they could've had a larger battle, but hey im not the wirter and the movie was great anyway...anyone for seconds?
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall any mention of the actual origins of the Remans in the movie.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
Seeing as this is a massive spoiler thread by nature, and I haven't found out elsewhere, are the Remans offshoots (a la Vulcans and Romulans) of the Romulans or are they generally the same species?

They never explain outright, but it's implied that the Remans were a less sophisticated, possibly pre-warp race conquered by the Romulans when they came along and colonized Romulus. Going by appearance anyway, the Remans seem way too different from the Vulcan lineage to be genetically connected.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
koy'peled Oy'tio: You live in Tracy?! That's like 30 minutes from me! Out in the middle of nowhere *L* Where'd you go to see it, F'ton? I went to SJ, as I just live 20 mins from there.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I saw the movie at the premire, I loved it. When I saw it again today, I was bothered by trivial things.

The things that bothered me:

-29 Deck? Didn't Logan try to say at least 26 like in First Contact.?
-What happened to the quantum torpedoes?
-I only saw in the Stellar Cartography scene one starship name readable on the viewscreen... the USS Galaxy. I could have sworn the other 7 ships had USS Voyager and USS Titan but I'm not sure.
-When Picard ordered to ram the ship, why didn't he have people evacuate the foward saucer?

Oh and Janeway looked like she had the 2 star admiral rank. But she had a nice office with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At one point, quantums were fired from the ventral launcher...only a short burst.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a great action adventure movie. It was so-so Star Trek.

I liked it a lot, but I've got this sizable problem with it. Namely, that most of the plot centered on "just because," and we got little by the way of attention to detail.

Why was the Romulan military gung-ho on an invasion of the Federation? Just because.

How did the Remans get their hands on a Soong prototype? They just did.

Why is a star system that's presumably in Federation space, along their most historically dangerous border, uncharted? Just because.

Why was Worf there? Just because.

Why were less than a dozen people in all of the Empire interested in the complete destruction and radical realignment of their government? Just because.

Why did the Enterprise fly right through the center of the comm-dampening nebula? Just because.

Was Shinzon telling the truth about his origin? Why did his understandable antagonism with Picard extend to the destruction of Earth? Where were the slightly redesigned D'deridexs? Why are the Remans crazy powerful telepaths?

Not all of these are huge issues. And none of them were large enough to make me not enjoy this film. But it felt very much like a great deal of detail was lost somewhere, and too much of the plot seemed to just happen.

StarFire
Member # 748

- posted      Profile for StarFire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*whine* I have to wait until Wednesday to see it. Getting tickets to the afternoon showing while trying to get tickets to the night showings of LOTR:TTT. Double header that day! Whoo!

--------------------
Are we having fun yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
Oh and Janeway looked like she had the 2 star admiral rank. But she had a nice office with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Through bizarre Tesseract architecture, every room in San Francisco in the 23rd and 24th centuries has a view of the Golden Gate.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That or SmartGlasstm.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Kirk have a great view of that bridge also in Star Trek: II?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
The things that bothered me:

-What happened to the quantum torpedoes?

-I only saw in the Stellar Cartography scene one starship name readable on the viewscreen... the USS Galaxy. I could have sworn the other 7 ships had USS Voyager and USS Titan but I'm not sure.

-When Picard ordered to ram the ship, why didn't he have people evacuate the foward saucer?

Ok... Prehaps now that the war is over, they've decided to pull the quantums off the ships?

I saw several well-known names on the ship list, all with different NCC numbers than what we've established here. New ships to replace the ones lost in the Dominion War?

As for evac... No time. Besides, the damage to the forward saucer wasn't as "bad" as it should have been. I mean they took a chunk out of the Simi, but the EE should have had far more structural damage.

Love that effect when the engines are damaged. The core arcs and sparks and then goes down. FINALLY! Automated emergancy shutdown! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother and I saw it last night for the early 5:20 showing - stadium-style seating, baby, oh yeah...

What an AWESOME movie!! In my opinion, after only one viewing, I'd say it's equally on par with Wrath of Khan & First Contact.

I agree about the "just because" comments, but likewise, a lot of that could be explained away either in the novel or the expanded DVD version we'll see in 5 months or so. =)

There were a LOT of nice touches in the film, though:

1. and I must stress this as the first point, absolutely NO references to Archer's NX-01 Enterprise! YAY Not even a model of it in the display of the standard 6, nil thru E.

2. Humor was well-done, well-timed. The drunken Worf's "...Irving Berlin..." comment, the Picard at the gym comment, "Data - shut up." comment, Majel getting to say "Auto destruct, offline.", I loved it all...

3. Oh my God, could they fit more space battles or laser fights in?? LOL Pretty sweet and amazing VFX tech. I wonder what happened to all of Starfleet's beam weaponry, though? =/ The bridge "evacuation" scene was cool, too, if sad for those redshirts.

4. FINALLY we get to see some Romulans, and even a new design which isn't as bad as I thought. It's no Andy Probert, but it fits the Sovereign era.

5. Past refs - Riker's call for "Helm, pattern Kirk 7" or whatever the number... Janeway was cool, even, she'd want some desk time after all the crap they went thru in the Delta Quadrant. Guinan got some good lines, I'm pretty sure I saw the Traveler at the wedding, and I'm sure there were a lot more we'll see in the DVD. Riker reminiscing about Data was cool, and that he (unlike us star trek geeks) couldn't remember the name of Data's whistling song...

6. After all this time of only Peter David getting the reins, we finally see Riker & Troi gettin' it on, and gettin' it together, a nice follow-up to the bath & library scenes in Insurrection.

7. Sense of scale - the Reman hangar bay, the damage effects, the long corridors on Enterprise, all damned sweet.

8. I was at first worried that Trek music might be getting stale with Goldsmith again, but he actually pulled off a lovely score, if a bit over-synthed. Also, it was worth it to get to hear the "Enterprise in drydock" theme from TMP again. =)

9. Everybody got a sweet part for ther character, and their careers. LOL
-Riker got to kill off the guy who mind-raped his wife, plus I think they went back to Alaska for the Picard ceremony in dress uniform, right?
-Picard got to battle his enemy ship-to-ship (literally) and in man to man combat.
-Troi got to show off her body and get revenge against her attacker, AND crash another Enterprise after revealing Scimitar's location. Very cool.
-Data got to sing, Brent Spiner's fondest wish, I'm sure, and he got to kill him off because of the age issue that always nagged him. Plus there's the opportunity to see more android development in B4 if he ever wanted to take up the role again.
-Worf didn't really get to do much, and he was looking a little old & tired, but the Romulan Ale scene was funny. Hopefully more in the DVD.
-Geordi was cool too, though not as much to do either. Nodding goodbye to Data & his comments about the impenetrable Reman cloak were great, though.

Now some things that bugged me:

1. I can understand seeing nothng in orbit of Romulus - they'd all be cloaked. But come on, not a single Starfleet vessel or Station seen other than the Enterprise and her drydock? They were in orbit of Earth!!

2. The list of Starfleet ships they were *going* to intercept - a bit odd, but I'll list what I remember,
USS Galaxy
USS Nova
USS Aries
USS Intrepid
A lot of first-of-the-class ships there, but I really wanted them to show up, so we could see the Aries - isn't that a Renaissance? [Wink] Logan probably threw that in there just to haunt us ASDB members... LOL

3. I would have liked the chance to see Enterprise towed home. First off, I would have towed them right to the Fed. fleet as soon as I showed up if I were those Romulans, I mean the Scimitar can't track two ships at once, let alone many once they arrived.

I dunno, there's probably more I could comment on, but I have to get up today. lol

Jason

--------------------
http://stmultiverse.homestead.com

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps