Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Saw it! WOOT! (SPOILERS! TONS OF THEM! STAY AWAY! WARNINGWARNING!) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Saw it! WOOT! (SPOILERS! TONS OF THEM! STAY AWAY! WARNINGWARNING!)
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another ship on the list I swore I saw was the USS Archer. I'm gonna have to see it again.

I'm sure Matt is happy since I recall him having a ship design called the Titan.

Overall I liked it. Although B-4 is stupid, I think if they're gonna kill off Data it shouldn't be cheated by having B-4 with all of Data's memories.

I also can't understand why Brent feels the need for Data to die. I know he says he's getting too old to play an android, but if this is the last film what difference would it make?

Also seeing Wes in a Starfleet uniform was odd, especially since he appeared to have LTJG pips. I recall him leaving the Academy to be with the Traveller. I guess he must have gotten bored and went back to become a Starfleet officer.

And finally... Picard had hair in his Academy days. "Tapestry" clearly shows that.

[ December 14, 2002, 18:36: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he's congenitally bald, and he just wore a rug for a while?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
I'm sure Matt is happy since I recall him having a ship design called the Titan.

[Big Grin] !!!!!!!

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
A correction I have to make regarding what i had said earlier:

Picard (in the picture, being played by Tom Hardy) doesn't not wear the cadet's uniform. I had earlier confused the officer's unifrom that Saavik and young Picard from "Tapestry" wore with the noncomm's uniform. The uniform that Tom Hardy was wear as Picard was unfortunately the noncomm's uniform. I don't recall what the rank or class designation pin was, if any. But suffice to say, the pic is all wrong.

Erm, a correction to your correction, which is that I don't believe there's been any airtight indication whether cadets wear an officer or noncom uniform. In fact, if I remember my TWoK correctly, I'd go with the noncom being more likely. Of course, TWoK was rather weird in the whole Lieutenant Saavik as a starfleet cadet thing.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A kind soul bought my way to the movie; I really enjoyed it. I don't have any complaints other than to Fox for keeping Jeri Ryan away from Nemesis. When Picard tells Shinzon their heart, hands, eyes and blood are the same...technically, their hearts aren't. [Razz]

Good movie. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people are telling me that like the last one, this movie felt like a big episode. I disagree... If anything, this film felt like taking all the plot points in a story arc over a season, and squishing 'em all together as a movie. It's got a BIGGER sense than a big episode, with farther reaching implications. As such, it's got a slightly more epic feeling than usual, however with a slight disjointing of the whole thing. Still, I like.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's "Batman and Robin".

Boris

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weekend numbers are in. Nemesis is #2 behind "Maid In Manhatten". It grossed $18,750,000. "Maid In Manhatten" beat it out with $19,000,000. Paramount says they wanted $20mil.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind the weekend is not yet over and the final numbers won't be in until tomorrow. Perhaps today more people are seeing Nemesis than Maid in Manhattan. It could end up with Nemesis at number 1.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still is "Batman and Robin".
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

What the bloody hell are you talking about?

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The359:
What the bloody hell are you talking about?

Read this and you'll understand:
http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001445;p=1#000006

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's as gross a comparison as I'll ever see, I think.

Anyway, I think Nemesis was pretty good. The Wrath of Khan is still my favorite, but I doubt anything will beat it in my mind.

I think the political aspects of this film are comparable to The Undiscovered Country. You have a catastropic event (the Praxis explosion/Dominion War) that wreaks havoc on the Empire, and the current government decides that peace may be the best option. Before peace negotiations can begin, the current government (Chancellor Gorkon/Romulan Senate) is assassinated by militaristic warmongers (General Chang/Shinzon and Romulan commanders). In Nemesis they also laid out a dirty secret of the relationship between the Romulans and the Remans. However, I think that exploration could have used a bit more development.

A lot more detail should have been given to how Shinzon came about. The only time the Romulans could have gotten his DNA samples would have been "Data's Day" (assuming the ambassador swiped a hair folicle) or "Unification." So far, we're left with a big ol' monkey wrench in figuring out when all of this supposedly happened. We should have also gotten a better idea of where B4 came from. Was he really a Soong prototype (which brings up questions of how the Romulans got him (did Soong sell him? did someone steal him and give him to the Romulans? did the Romulans raid a secret stash on Omicron Theta?)) or did the Romulans attempt to build a Soong-type android based on scans taken of Data in "Unification" (come on, you know they had to have scanned him).

I think the action in the movie was nicely done. The Argo sequence started out a little campy, but I think it became a bit more serious as they started finding B4's parts (throwing B4's head in the glove compartment being an exception). The battle sequence between the Enterprise and the Scimitar as well as the Romulan Warbirds/Enterprise against the Scimitar were nicely done. I think the pacing and cutaways to other scenes was great. It was nice to finally see how capable a Sovereign-class starship is during battle. I really don't think these action sequences were "overblown."

I enjoyed the music; I think Goldsmith did an excellent job making it dark as well as incorporating parts of The Motion Picture's Enterprise theme. I liked the Reman makeup, but I wasn't too pleased by the Reman uniforms. They looked rather uncomfortable (especially on Shinzon). I think the acting was good, and the writing (for the most part) was good. I liked seeing the references in the movie; I think they were incorporated well-enough to not still out.

Some of the inconsistencies really bug me, though. How could a positronic signal be detected by the Enterprise so far away? How come Picard is bald in his academy picture? Why the hell is there a Deck 29 and a deep tube to nowhere that does nothing? How could the Scimitar have simply backed up and unhooked itself from the Enterprise? And how could a transporter be squeezed down into something the size of a MicroMachine unless it were dependent on the Enterprise's transporter system (which was down at that point)?

Other than all that, I liked the film. I'm probably going to go see it again sometime soon.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the movie with some friends yesterday. I gotta say the Scimitar is the only starship in any sci-fi universe that i've seen, that has EVER scared me. I want one!

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that just reminded me of another point about the film that I didn't like. I don't know if it was just the theater that I was in, but the space scenes were dark (and not get smart with me on that [Razz] ).

It was near impossible to make out details on the the Scimitar and the two Romulans warbirds. I felt like they didn't really do enough shots to give me an image of what the ships looked like overall. That was kinda disappointed; they just seemed to blend in with the background way too well. And my complaint about the darkness also goes to the scene when the Scimitar frees herself from the Enterprise. You had some close-ups of the damage, but it was too dark for me to make out much of anything.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps