Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek manga? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Star Trek manga?
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
clicky

quote:
AnimeOnDVD.com reported that Jake Forbes from Tokyopop had stopped by the forums to discuss the company's announcement at Wizard World LA that it would team up with a Japanese publisher to release a manga anthology based on Star Trek.
I've never been a fan of manga, so I'll simply not read it; but this can only lead to anime Trek, which I also don't care for. :/

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's almost as stupid an idea as TNG meets X-Men.....oh wait...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to see Geordi with a gigantic VISOR to cover his huge Anime eyes though. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the other signature items of Japanamation and manga:
- Riker with unruly long hair - one eye permanently covered with a bang
- All females have to have the figures of 12 year-old girls - AND be partially undressed

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to menmtion the plant-like hair, foot long necks on the women, pointy fingers without fingernails, either a strange button nose or a pointy beak nose, any old men are bald and will be letchers (that's gonna be strange), the youngest girl will be in a schoolgirl outfit with an extremely short skirt and everyone will have thin, arched eyebrows.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Not to mention the plant-like hair, foot long necks on the women, pointy fingers without fingernails, either a strange button nose or a pointy beak nose, any old men are bald and will be lechers (that's gonna be strange), the youngest girl will be in a schoolgirl outfit with an extremely short skirt and everyone will have thin, arched eyebrows.

*Bad mouthing manga in general? Marches to his doom, not giving a fuck!*

"Don't bitch about it until you see the product, people. If you pitiful fools think that manga sucks and Marvel Comics regular produces Pulitzer Price material, you should stop eating baby shit. it's un-healthy..."

Now that i got a couple of seconds to think before i go to bed, i'll nicely reiterate my bitch. Like all things, manga isn't created equal. you have good (OMG, GITS, GUNMN), bad (can't think of any specific titles but i know they exist) and waste of trees (a large portion of Marvel and DC books fit this bill especially). You all assume it seems that this idea will automatically suck ass, even before you see the product. Did you automatically knew ENT would suck when you heard about it? Voyager? Firefly? The movie Nemesis? Nope, you might of heard rumors (every one gets equal measure of assholes and rumors rations when your born, a dirty hospital fact) but you couldn't confirm nothing till you saw it your self or watched Sikell & who ever's review. so, pipe down, let them TRY and then see if it's work your time and $.

Now you may flame the shit outta me for my insolence to you (and i apologize, but i'm tired and more honestly vocal when i'm pooped)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Where are you getting these comparisons?
No one said american styles or comics were better....just settle down there pardner.

I dont think ANY Star Trek comic has been worth shit...it just has'nt been a good medium for it really.

It could be... if someone like Alex Ross, Gene Ha or Tony Harris would agree to do the artwork for the book's run (as the actor's likenesses would at least be good) and if the story was written by someone with more than a passing familarity with the characters and series (something that sure was missing on the old DC run).
Any Trek comic is a minefield of problems (even without tyhe giant bambi eyes).

Besides the obvious conon-conflict problems of such idiocy as an X-Men crossover, of course.

By "Magna", I dont brand the entire genre of Anime as bad (heck, in the right context-like Trigun, FLCL, DBZ, Lodoss War, etc.- I really dig the big-eyed look. BUt the "Magna style" is not the same as Anime style, and even when Magna is used on comic book characters (like
Robin) it looks really poor because everyone already knows how the character should look: it comes across as lazy art.

Converting real people's likenesses into Mana is always shit: everyone invariably look like they're between 10-13 years old and "trek teens" is something I can easily do without.
It makes real people into "magna templates".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, thus far, the "badmouthing" seems to be directed at the general drawing style one gets in manga/anime. So, they are valid complaints, really.

"I would love to see Geordi with a gigantic VISOR to cover his huge Anime eyes though."

Isn't it only the women and children who have big eyes, though?

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pensive:
I've got no problem with Manga or Anime, and if they want to make one out of Star Trek that's fine by me. I just have no desire to read it. But I have yet to see anyone in this topic bad mouth the entire Manga genre, we just took note of some funny recurring features of it.

TSN:
The guys have it too in some Anime.

Just think of the contact lenses you would have to make for those eyes. It would be like the Hubble Space Telescope.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Isn't it only the women and children who have big eyes, though?
Nope: Watch the (very good) Inuyasha or Trigun.
THe men's eyes take up about a third of their face's height.

Strangly, in Inuyasha, whenever he comes across a skull, the skull has normally sized eye-sockets.
It boggles the mind.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big eyes are supposed to represent the "pure of heart" or somesuch, IIRC... villains usually will have very small, "mischievous" eyes.

And have you ever read "Star Trekker"? It was set during the TFS era, aboard the USS Constellation II. Here's an image of the cover:  -

There was even a guest appearance of Kirk and Co., "properly" drawn, in stark contrast to the main characters.

But I think the manga was banned in the US... too bad, since it was very funny.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Collect all 428 Tribbles! THEY EVOLVE INTO HORTA!

BTW, hi everyone.. after a month, the switch to a new DSL provides is finally completed.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
But I think the manga was banned in the US... too bad, since it was very funny.

Why was that? it should be obvious but i'm not awake yet...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something to do with "copyright infringement issues", I think...

IOW, Paramount whined about profits not going to their pockets.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Every reason NOT to do a Magna represented in one cover.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps