Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek manga? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Star Trek manga?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did they explain why Starfleet would have staffed a ship with four-year-olds?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They shrunk in the wash, like Picard and Co.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Big eyes" is a popular style in Japanese comics. "Superhero slugfest" is a popular theme in American comics. And yet there are many American comics about different things, and many Japanese comics with different styles. Honestly, go read Understanding Comics.

Having said that, I don't particularly care for anime (Beyond, say, FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. And maybe those pretty Miyazaki films.), and I've never read any manga, though I've read plenty of things which were clearly inspired by various Japanese artists, some of which I liked, some I didn't. But, I mean, come on. It is the 21st century.

(By "particularly care" I mean that I don't have any particularly fondness for the medium itself. I have seen things that I really, really liked, but I know many people who would be willing to watch grass grow in real time, providing it had lots of speedlines and (yes) big eyes. And tenticle rape, of course.)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
BUt the "Magna style" is not the same as Anime style,

You, sir, are talking out of your bottom.

Anime = animated manga. There is no different "style".

And assuming that all manga involves people with big eyes who fall over comically, have wooshy backgrounds, and sweatdrops appearing at amusing moments is like saying that all American comics involve people in tights beating each other up. Which, er, is what Simon said. Damnit.

The "big eyes" though are often the same size as the eyes characters have in, say, Disney films. In fact, the artist who came up with the blueprint for a lot of subsequent Japanese comic art did base his work off of Disney.

quote:
and even when Magna is used on comic book characters (like
Robin) it looks really poor because everyone already knows how the character should look: it comes across as lazy art.

Yes, because all superheroes are drawn consisently between different artists.

Honestly, if Bruce Wayne turns up in a non Batman comic, he's almost impossible to recognise unless there's a big unsubtle sign as to who he is. Like, say, standing next to the Batmobile.

Besides, I like Teen Titans.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to take this occasion to point out once again that saying it would be funny if Geordi had a huge VISOR to cover his eyes was a joke... As in not a serious commentary on recurring features of Manga and Anime artwork.

Not once did I say every character in Anime and Manga have big eyes. In fact I made a point of saying it's only in some anime in a later post.

No need to over-analyze a joke.

That being said, how are they going to get that tiny ring of hair around Picard's head to cover his right eye and will they dye his hair blue? [Razz]

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone just reminded me of these pictures. The Doctor and his hearts are so innocent-looking and adorable. Sadly, there are none of Geordi and his VISOR.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ Awe, four year old Janeway and Chakotay finally got together for some underage lovin'. [Eek!]

Disclaimer:

This in no way is meant to suggest that all Anime or Manga Janeway's and Chakotay's look like four year olds, just these ones.

End disclaimer.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
BUt the "Magna style" is not the same as Anime style,

You, sir, are talking out of your bottom.

Anime = animated manga. There is no different "style".

And assuming that all manga involves people with big eyes who fall over comically, have wooshy backgrounds, and sweatdrops appearing at amusing moments is like saying that all American comics involve people in tights beating each other up. Which, er, is what Simon said. Damnit.

It's a case of a once generic term coming to represent a particular style: Manga has come to embody the "big eyed child look" unto itself (especially when in comic form!)
All the manga I've seen (even at japanese import stores) that is someone's take on an established subject (like Trek) is just like the horrible (if drwan nicely for the style) examples provided on that "star trekker" comic.

quote:
and even when Magna is used on comic book characters (like
Robin) it looks really poor because everyone already knows how the character should look: it comes across as lazy art.

Yes, because all superheroes are drawn consisently between different artists.

Honestly, if Bruce Wayne turns up in a non Batman comic, he's almost impossible to recognise unless there's a big unsubtle sign as to who he is. Like, say, standing next to the Batmobile.

Besides, I like Teen Titans.
[/QUOTE]

Bad analgy: "Bruce wayne" is an idea with certain paramaters (like hair color) but an actor playing a famous role (like Picard) stamps his likeness onto a role in a way that someone's drawing of a fictional person with no real-life association.
A good comic artist could however represent Adam West in an elevator with other comic characters and you'd certainly know it was intentional- See Alex Ross's little gag cameos from celebrities in his comic art to see the diffrence.

I like Teen Titans as well (to a point) but it's NOTHING like the comic was- if they're doing a gag Trek book like "trek babies" or something, Magna may be the way to go (as much as Peanuts style figures might work anyway) but if they're trying to tell a serious story, readers will have to (somehow) get past their radical alterartions of their known characters.

It's two seperate things: one is people playing characters (trek), with a definite look we're all familiar with- and the other (Teen Titans) are characters in obviously ditinctive (from each other) costumes that were always intended to small variances between artists.
It's why comic characters (in team books in particular) use such radically diffrent color schemes in the first place: to allow the reader to associate the character with the costume and not the likeness.
Stick all your magna charcaters into gray suits with the smae hair color and yuo'd have a fun time telling them apart in a comic setting.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manga characters aren't nearly as generic as you make out. And even if they were, the TNG cast would still be dead easy to tell apart. There's no way that even the most workmanlike of artist can make Picard look like Riker, or like Geordi, or Worf, and so on.

Besides, I've seen Trek comics. Western artists can't get Star Trek characters looking like the actors half the time. Manga artists aren't even going to attempt to get them "realistic". They'll just take certain key definable traits and stylise them. Whether you can cope with that or not is really up to you.

I just find it amusing that the anime-related humour on this thread is pretty much on the same level as Star Trek humour everywhere else.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true. Manga artist definetly aren't going to go after "realistic" portrayal.

BTW, manga-Picard was done before: Here's his cameo in "Oh my Goddess!" manga:
 -

As far as I can tell, manga Star Trek will feature believeable situations, realistic characters, solid character development which won't be gone before nex issue, and also ongoing storyline.

Can't wait to see it [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Japanese magazine Hobby Graphic used to have an occassional TNG manga strip back in the late 1980s. Although in full-on manga style you could definitely tell the characters apart. Maybe Masaki has a copy he could scan and post (I don't).

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Besides, I've seen Trek comics. Western artists can't get Star Trek characters looking like the actors half the time.

I'll certainly agree with that.
As I said, Trek has never been done justice in comics (even expensive hardcover editions like the Gorn Crisis had terrible artwork and a story that would make even the most rabid fanboy groan).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well...if you're a TAS fan, this comic actually looks well done!
http://startrekanimated.com/exetercomic.html

It's not magna by any stretch but it represents the TAS style nicely.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hell?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This kind of artwork gives me nightmares: http://www.keane-eyes.com/

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps