Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek manga? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Star Trek manga?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kail Tescar, the guy who produced the new TAS comic, tried to post some comments here but hasn't been able to register. So, he asked me to clarify some things about the "odor" scene.

1. "The "Odor" scene was an attempt to stress the "alien" side of Star Trek. Different races have different customs and such, so the scene should be seen from an alien point of view, not human.

2. The official Exeter production bible "bio" for B'Fuselek states that he's got a secret "thing" for Harris (the woman in question), and Kail thought it would be fun to utilize the "thought bubble", a comicbook staple, to express this. He didn't want the very alien B'Fuselek lusting after Harris like a human frat boy, thus the idea that the Andorians have hightened ofactory senses and that�he is�attracted to her odor. It's "sci-fi."

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it comes across as a third place prize quote in a Flare CapCom

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am as big a trekkie (not a trekker) as I am a otaku. I think that making a manga of ST would be a grand idea...but...only if it is done right. If it is done it must be done with established artists not some nobodies that are part of the artist pool at Studio Proteus. Kia Asimya and Kenchi Sonada did exelent work doing mangas of Star Wars and Asimya did a really good Batman manga. The long and the short is if it is built right people will come. They can't do any worse than some of the horrid art that has appeared in some of the US comics.

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curzon Dax:
I am as big a trekkie (not a trekker) as I am a otaku.

Two fatal mistakes in one sentence. You are winner!

(Not that I wouldn't read a Star Trek manga, but c'mon; "otaku"?)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even worse than otaku are "Wota" . Don't let this happen to you.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One step from "furry".

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Japan is the worst.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the article mentioned that these subcultures can be seen as ways for frustrated late-gen japanese to strike out from the old army-indoctrinated conformity of Japanese culture. You know, with even parking guards and chefs doing salutes and groveling on the ground before their bosses?
I'm just saying, maybe some good'll cum out of it down the road.

I bought the Avalon DVD and watched the interview with Mamoru Oshii, it was interesting. He's definitely not a stereotypical ipponese. Also, I finally learned the secret behind all the basset hounds he's inserted in his films.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^_^

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim':
Well the article mentioned that these subcultures can be seen as ways for frustrated late-gen japanese to strike out from the old army-indoctrinated conformity of Japanese culture.

Which means that there's no excuse for Americans to go around striking poses and shouting "Venus Star Power...Make Up!"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Even worse than otaku are "Wota" . Don't let this happen to you.

No no no, we call these fanboys or girls. Break out the soap gun!

:{)

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
One step from "furry".

But still above a filker. They give me hay fever.

--------------------

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Nim':
Well the article mentioned that these subcultures can be seen as ways for frustrated late-gen japanese to strike out from the old army-indoctrinated conformity of Japanese culture.

Which means that there's no excuse for Americans to go around striking poses and shouting "Venus Star Power...Make Up!"
As opposed to going to a con and dressing up as Admiral K'rack and flashing your batleth. Believe it or not I am agreeing with you to a certain point. I love the costumes both from ST and anime for they are part of the culture, but on the other hand when they start appearing on the street for no apperent reason then I start to question my devotion to fandom. I really want to go up to them and give them Shatner's advice. Now where is my command cloak and my Sailor tiara!

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dressing up in costume (aside from costume parties/Halloween) is probably a sign of a seriously disturbed mind.

The criteria for "insanity" is a person's ability (or lack thereof) to interact with society in general....grown men/women too introverted to even speak with their "idols" is pretty sad.

And I agree with Liam on this one: there's no possible excuse for anyone to shout ""Venus Star Power...Make Up!" .

Unless it's a sex thing: then it's cool with me.
Everyone loves a woman that'll dress up for you. [Smile]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...grown men/women too introverted to even speak with their 'idols' is pretty sad."

In general, people tend to get nervous around people they consider "idols". I would think that a person who has trouble dealing with people overall would certainly run aground when confronted with an "idol".

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps