Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek manga? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Star Trek manga?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, that's my momma!

Don'chu you talk about my momma like that!!!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy!

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I did the Cait drawings for the TAS comic, I'll tell you what I know. The non-Enterprise characters came from the USS Exeter fan film, so the comic served to fill in some background details for the live action version, of which only one episode has appeared so far. But, I agree, that smell thing was kind of weird.Here's the actress:

-

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

She's not so 'big Swedish maid name "Helga"' looking as the TAS drawing of her... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. She's actually kinda hot. The uniform really does it for me. Needs to be fit a little better though.

I have a feeling this thread is about to take an odd turn...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, she definetly looks better with her hair down, as new adventures of Exeter will show... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Agreed. She's actually kinda hot. The uniform really does it for me. Needs to be fit a little better though.

I have a feeling this thread is about to take an odd turn...

She needs the TOS push-up bra or the TOS cone-bra.

Something.....she's no ensign Watley. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the three guys in the back doing? Is this CapCom?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The redshirt appears to be showing the other two a grasshopper that he found under his station.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

heh heh heh...good one. [Big Grin]

I'm still trying to figure out why shes wearing stretch pants...

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to say something crude, like the command-shirt guy was having a VD exam, but I'm not going to say it.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a 23rd century commercial for Enzite.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Highway Hoss
Member # 1289

- posted      Profile for Highway Hoss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one would love to see a Trek manga series. As one who's been reading manga for a while, I can tell you from experience that manga comics are no more alike than American comics. If anything, they are actually far more diverse than American comics.

I happen to own a copy of Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud (autographed by him, no less!) It is an excellent book on the untapped potential of the comic art form. I think that a Trek manga anthology properly done would be a real boost to Trek.

The problem is that in this country, comics have been very much marginalized as "kid's fare"; while a number of comics have been able to present mature themes and stories (like Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"...trust me folks, the movie is only a pale imitation of the comic..if they had done a true adaptation, it would have been rated NC-17 easy.) most American comics are still stuck in the superhero genre.

In Japan, by contrast, manga is much more a mainstream thing; comics in Japan cover a whole range of diverse genres and art styles. While most of us are familiar with the "big eye" style of art as drawn by, for example, Rumiko Takahashi (Ranma 1/2) there are also a number of other art styles in manga too.

One problem that Trek and other licensed properties that were done as comics have had has been that the comic companies owning the license usually put second string artists and writers to doing those adaptations. A notable example was with the "Star Wars" special edition movies that were released a while back; Dark Horse comics did both American comics and adaptions of Japanese manga of the movies. The contrast was noticable; while the "good guys" looked cute in the manga, the action was much more dynamic and the space battles much more exciting than in the American comics. The Death Star, in particular, looked downright terrifying in the manga; you never got that sense of the battle station's sheer size and power in the american comics.

--------------------
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. That shot of it with hundreds of Star Destroyers flying around it may have stretched believability a bit, but it did look cool.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps