Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Enterprise on DVD (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Enterprise on DVD
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are both fairly awful.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IT.
IS.
BETTER.

Better ending at any rate.

Plus: Roy Schieder! A Russian ship design that would be ripped off endlessly on B5!
What's not to love?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you also think Wrath of Khan is better than Star Trek: The Motion Picture...

In regards to the best science fiction films of all time, I think a listing of only 5 couldn't possibly cover it. 10 would be better, though still inadequate. I'd list 20 at least. And so, in chronological order:

Metropolis (1927)
Frankenstein (1931)
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954)
Gojira (1954)
20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
Planet of the Apes (1968)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
THX 1138 (1971)*
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Star Wars (1977) and sequels, particularly The Empire Strikes Back (1980)**
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
Alien (1979)
Blade Runner (1982)
Back to the Future (1985) and sequels
Jurassic Park (1993)
Gattaca (1997)
The Matrix (1999)***
Solaris (2002)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)

*The original version, not the one with all the cocked-up CGI in it.

**Ditto. Also, I would like to point out, as I have before, that SW is not truly science fiction in the strictest sense, but the same might be said of some others on there as well.

***Dear God, not the sequels!

GENERAL NOTE:
As I said, this is a minimal listing. There are at least a dozen other great films I've seen that I could have put, but I had to draw the line somewhere. And yes, let it also be noted that I am limited to the films that I have actually seen, though I freely admit that I retain a shocking ignorance where some widely seen flicks are concerned. (The Terminator series, for example, which I hold no prejudice against but which I simply haven't gotten around to watching yet.)

Well, there you are.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[EDIT: I just realized that you were only talking about movies from the eighties. Which essentially means I've spent forever typing up this essentially off-topic post for essentially nothing. Thank you.]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:S
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a good thing I didn't say anything about "all time," then.

Vindication!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to The Future is in your Top 20 Sci-Fi movies?!?

Your credibility stands in smoking ruins.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk of dragging us still further off topic...just what do you find objectionable about Back to the Future?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Nothing in particular, but it's also nothing I'd place anywhere near a top 20 list of Sci-Fi's best.

Hell, I'd place Last Starfighter in there before that one.

That's the problem with such lists- you'll always think of something better later.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, you also think Wrath of Khan is better than Star Trek: The Motion Picture..."

As does anyone who isn't missing the "immunity to fake and meaningless arthouse pretension" gene.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

How 'bout the gene for immunity to contrived, plot-hole-filled, standard mindless Hollywood action fare, with overblown literary references thrown in to create the illusion of intelligence?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's a submarine movie, MIM.
Watch it that way, forget all about the "art of film" crap and just enjoy it.

ST:TMP has it's merity but it obviously a '70's movie half-heartedly [i]pretending[i] to be set in the future (McCoy's horrible outfit with the open shirt and gold chains is cringeworthy at the MST3K level).

The models and cinematography is amazing- just the plot and lacking acting (mostly on Decker and Iilea's parts) kills it.

Incidentally, I get to meet Andy Probert in May!
He'll be at Wonderfest this year!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
It's a submarine movie, MIM.
Watch it that way, forget all about the "art of film" crap and just enjoy it.

Oh, I do. Don't make the mistake of thinking I don't. But I do cringe at people thinking this is Star Trek at its best. Again, not that it isn't good, but it's not at all introspective science fiction.

quote:
ST:TMP has it's merity but it obviously a '70's movie half-heartedly pretending to be set in the future (McCoy's horrible outfit with the open shirt and gold chains is cringeworthy at the MST3K level).
Just like TOS in the 60s and TNG in the 80s. Big freakin' deal.

quote:
The models and cinematography is amazing- just the plot and lacking acting (mostly on Decker and Iilea's parts) kills it.
Never found anything lacking about the plot (despite being very similar to "The Changeling" [TOS]) or acting. Part and parcel, one of an amazing number of Robert Wise masterpieces. It's cinematic, intelligent, thought-provoking, and exciting without resorting to space battles to hold it together.

There is very little Star Trek I have seen that I haven't enjoyed on one level or another, and TWOK is no exception. The characterizations are rich and the space battles are nifty, and just the fact that it was a direct follow-up to a great TOS episode is really cool. But there isn't anything cerebral or intellect-engaging about it. Good entertainment, not great cinema.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's mainly the complete lack of tension or urgency from all the crew -except Kirk- that V'Ger is comin' to town to make Earth disapear like it did with those Klingon ships.

That's mostly a directing problem though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Never found anything lacking about the plot (despite being very similar to "The Changeling" [TOS])

"The Changeling," "Doomsday Machine," (interesting, since that episode features Decker's father) and TAS "One of Our Planets is Missing" (wherein Spock mind-melds with a giant cloud about to devour a Federation colony).
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

TMP is nothing like either "The Doomsday Machine" or "One Of Our Planets Is Missing" except in the most superficial of senses. (i.e., yes some elements of the film are reminiscent of some elements of those episodes, but as a whole they are quite distinct.)

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps