Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Enterprise on DVD (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Enterprise on DVD
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"BATTLESTAR GALACTICA" -- THE MOVIE!

Dubbed: The Greatest Movie in the Universe, 1978!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My original point, or part of it, I think, was that Star Trek II is artfully made. It isn't, in my opinion, good only because it is "fun" or a "good way to waste two hours," though it is certainly both.
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree.

TMP is another matter. I have got the Director's Edition DVD and the old Version on VHS, recorded on the telly.
I think the D.E. version is quite watchable yet I don't find it very exciting or even thought-provoking. The acting as very wooden and I can't see why it should be considered a "masterpiece" of Bob Wise. Only the cinematography - especially the scenes featuring the "new" Enterprise - is highly artful IMHO.

On the whole I prefer TWOK to TMP anytime.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"[TMP] is cinematic, intelligent, thought-provoking, and exciting..."

Check, fail, fail, fail.

"Again, not that [TWOK] isn't good, but it's not at all introspective science fiction."

And from the way most so-called "introspective" sci-fi is in fact less mentally stimulating than a trip on a crappy psychedelic drug, we can all be thankful for that.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My own opinion is that TMP is a terrible film, with a dull plot stretched out over too much movie. It's bad when movies use fast pacing and constant action to substitute for plot or character development, but there is such a thing as being too slow, as well. Especially when there still isn't much character development or story as a result. Except in one or maybe two exterior shots, I find no improvement in the DE (and at least one change I actively dislike).

As for being "introspective" and 'thought-provoking," TMP certainly isn't in the company of Asimov, or Barnes or Varley or Gerrold.

On the other hand, I enjoy watching TMP just to see so much of the interior of the Enterprise, and to hear ship announcements and comm traffic that ties in with the FJ technical manual.

Marian

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most good "thought provoking" Sci-Fi would never get greenlighted by a studio.

I was reading an intro to a story by Dan Simmons where he mentions that the story was originally a pitch for ST: Voyager.

He (over the phone) detailed the premise of Voyager entering a binary star system, meeting inhabitants that altered themselves to life/travel in space with no ship.
They would offer to enhance Voyager's crew and the moral dilemma would be in who stays and who goes.
The (unnammed) producer asked at the pitch's end "One question: What's a Binary Star?"

This is why there's no "thought provolking sci-fi"- the producers are not sci-fi fans.

So Simmons said fuck it and it became a really good (IMHO, at least) short story from the universe of his Hyperion novels (themselves excellent reads- my favorite sci fi, really).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMP had a very 2001 quality to it. But I'm not sure how exciting it was intended, maybe 27 years ago, yeah...but most of us here are not even old enough to remember seeing it in that light, so of course our persepectives are skewed.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I think we're among the few who might find redeemable qualities to TMP.

Most audiences today (non-trek fanatics) expect mindless CGI-laden explosion fests (both Tomb Raider movies were box office smashes, yet even the re-release of Alien tanked.)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomb Raider did OK ($131,144,183 domestic, according to IMDb.), but smash seems to be stretching it, and Tomb Raider 2 only made $65,653,758 domestic, and just $156,453,758 worldwide.

I also don't think you can draw many parallels between that and Alien. Or any, for that matter. A new film compared to the limited re-release of something 20+ years old? (Though check out how quickly the number of showings seems to have dropped: data.)

For that matter, I like Alien as much as the next guy, but I don't think I'd hold it up as a landmark of cerebral cinema anyway.

(Personal facts: Saw Tomb Raider in theater because people from my physics class wanted to, have not seen the sequel, traveled to see Alien's rerelease at the cajoling of friends. Well, the cajoling had more to do with whether I would please drive them across the Cascades.)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
He (over the phone) detailed the premise of Voyager entering a binary star system, meeting inhabitants that altered themselves to life/travel in space with no ship.
They would offer to enhance Voyager's crew and the moral dilemma would be in who stays and who goes.
The (unnammed) producer asked at the pitch's end "One question: What's a Binary Star?"

If I were the producer, my one question would be: "What possible relevence does the binary star system have to the story?"

quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:

On the other hand, I enjoy watching TMP just to see so much of the interior of the Enterprise, and to hear ship announcements and comm traffic that ties in with the FJ technical manual.

Your post makes me sad.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't expect me to lose any sleep over it.

Marian

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps