Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Better to kill them now and get it over with... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Better to kill them now and get it over with...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it's not in the actual episode (?) so there's no need t adhere to a federation-looking design at this point.
Not when their pre-TOS version looks soooo much cooler (except for the FUCKING DOMINION NACELLES!!!!).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a design that has been around for some time now though. At the very least, chaning it drasticly would hurt their ability to market the original.

I'm not sure if CBS digital has access to the models made priviously anyway.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say I wonder what they'll do with The Enterprise Incident, how can they make the Klingon battlecruisers more Romulan like?
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly by adding painted eagles(or whatever the very similar looking birds on Romulus are called...) on the bottom of the ships, like they were going to do in the game Secret of Vulcan Fury.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mars Needs Women:
quote:
Well how did they go from this to this?
Romulan spy in the Federation?

The same way we went from this to this.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just my opinion, but around here we seem to have a habit of equating starships to naval vessels of Earth. While I understand that Star Trek tries to have a certain naval feel to it, to a certain extent it's not authentic. For one thing, naval ships can only travel above water while starships can travel all 360 degrees of space, can travel faster than light, and can do a whole bunch of things a naval vessel could never do. Plus, why do we try to rationalize alien vessels into Earth naval terms. They're alien!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because so little of trek's aliens are anything like alien?
Lets see...Tholians aside, all Trek's starring (talking) aliens are bipeds, all breathe atmosphere compatible with human physiology and all have the same basic motivations and psychology as humans.
Plus, these "aliens" are so close to humans that they can even interbreed with humans!
Even those chickenshit 8472 aliens were far too human-looking: it's unlikely that life from another solar system would look that human- much less from a dimension so completely diffrent.

What's not to relate to?

Trek needs to develop some truly alien advasaries/allies....and hire more imaginative writers.

An aside: where does the notion of the Tholian ships being 15 meters long come from?
Watching Enterprise, they always seem a minimum of 30-50 meters long.

Maybe these new FX Tholians will reveal the truth...I'd love to see the TOS webspinner with some of the detailing of the ones from Enterprise.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey does any of this HD remastering (which I will be very curious to see) have anything to do with this? And didn't I find the link to this around here someplace?

And while it's true I don't really know anything about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray mastering, I can't imagine they've done away with the capacity for branching (Well executed (using ol' busta DVD technology) in the Alien Quadrilogy box set, btw) Which is to say that including both original and "enhanced" shots shouldn't be too difficult. I mean from a technical standpoint. I think a cool (and one might hope, inevitable) extra would be to deconstruct one or more of the updated shots.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess would be that its a simmilar but unrelated project.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Y'know...it very well could be the same guys: consider how long they must have worked to get the updated episodes ready for airing...and that was made only three years ago.

I really dig that little clip- I hope what we get is as good.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without taking the time to load the Youtube clip because I'm wicked lazy, this isn't related to previous Let's Update TOS projects.

(Not to this one specifically, and not to the other that I think existed, as far as I know.)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious if they'll be tempted to recycle footage from Trials & Tribbleations (sp?) when they revamp Trouble with Tribbles. Will continuity geek be able to tollerate the sight of Odo in the background, or Kirk grilling O'Brian?
It'd certainly be fun to see.

Naturally I'm curious to see how they'll represent the Antares in Charlie X. Though I'd love to see the concordance design rendered, my money is on them reusing the Xhoza mesh, that's if they show it at all.

Another point of interest for me would be how they'll portray the starbases; will they show other ships in orbit, will there be drydocks?

Whatever they do I'm sure there'll be TONS of nitpicking and plenty of unsatisfied trekkie out there. So looking at the glass as being half full - it doesn't matter how well this is done, it's sure to generate a great deal on conversation and interest on the boards.

Personally I'm looking forward to see what kind of choices they make, I don't really care how good or bad it turns out.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

The guy from CBS digital posting at SFM made it sound like they're just starting off on this, so I don't think its something thats been in production for the last three years. In any case, CBS digital hasn't had reason to be producing anything Trek for more than a few months when they've never handled Trek before. Its not like it would take years anyway. It can't be that much more difficult that doing the effects for a series currently in production, and those don't get even close to three years just for effects.

As for the DS9 footage, I don't belive the episode itself has enough footage in some scenes for them to compleatly replace the TOS footage, though those parts could potentially still have been shot.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mars Needs Women:
quote:
For one thing, naval ships can only travel above water while starships can travel all 360 degrees of space, can travel faster than light, and can do a whole bunch of things a naval vessel could never do. Plus, why do we try to rationalize alien vessels into Earth naval terms. They're alien!
First of all, those space factors you mentioned doesn't enter into it at all. It has to do with the management of the unit. The largest military airplane in the world doesn't have a crew nearing even three digits, while the largest-crewed ships in history have almost approached five.
A naval vessel of today can do things the Victory couldn't do at Trafalgar, yet we compare them. So I'd say the similar modes of management is a more important factor than performance.

If we do want to get technical, sea vessels and space vessels can both stop their engines and coast or stay still, while air planes have a very limited active performance span, not counting airborne refueling (or those god-awful s.h.i.e.l.d carriers they flaunt about in Marvel. What a waste of tax payer's money).
Also, you don't have bridges, airlocks and bulkheads on a plane, you have cockpits, windows and wafers.

Regarding classifying alien vessels and their management, firstly it makes sense for our people to be able to relate to their alien enemies/allies with frames of reference that mean something to us.
Secondly there, most sentient species that manage to create a space-faring organ and conduct extra-planetary exploration do so by teamwork. Teamwork means order, order means ranks. That's not projected human behavior, it's logic. Well I say fuck logic.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Also, you don't have bridges, airlocks and bulkheads on a plane, you have cockpits, windows and wafers.

?!? Okay, I'm an aircraft structural designer, and I have to ask WTF is a wafer? I've never heard that terminology outside of carpentry or some kind of foodstuff. Also, there are bulkheads in aircraft - believe me, I've created/modified enough of them.
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps