Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Obsession with canon and other thoughts... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Obsession with canon and other thoughts...
TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! My first post in over a year! In case you don't remember me (which I don't blame you for), I once was on the forum but I didn't post often so I've probably been forgotten by now. Anyway...

I've seen over the last few months a number of heated arguments over what is canon and what isn't. I've been discussing the subject with a friend and I wanted to give you my thoughts on the subject. Remember that it's my personal opinion and I'm not forcing it on anyone.

It's inevitable that over the course of it's life, Star Trek would come up with a number of inconsistencies. What I don't understand is that obsession some of you (I'm not pointing at anyone) seem to have about how everything seen on screen is official. I know there must be a common base of reference but sometimes it just goes too far.

For exemple, there are some here who are compiling lists over lists of starships registries which are 1) mostly unreadable on screen and 2) wrong half of the time. I've heard it's sometimes the fault of the artists who design them. I'm thinking the Prometheus and the FC ships for example. However, even if Okuda himself says it's an error and corrects it in the new encyclopedia, some people simply MUST find an explaination because it was shown on screen, therefore it's official and since it's not possible they just can't sleep at night anymore...

I know I sound a little agressive (it isn't my intent) but I just wonder why they just can't get over it. I know I'm not troubled in the least if the Prometheus's registry is wrong. I would be if the E-E were to suddenly change registry at the beginning of the new movie only to return to normal half-way through the story and even then I would disregard it as a mistake. However I'm sure some of you would try to find a very complex theory about why this would happen to make everything consistent.

All I'm saying, is there's a limit about justification. Personally, when something sounds too stupid in ST (VOY in particular), I simply ignore it, like the episode with the giant space worm where Seven vents anti-matter through the nacelle and it's detonated with a particule beam by the hunter-guy. Anyone care to explain how that is possible?

I like it when the writers respect continuity (which is kind of lacking right now) but I can get by without trying to justify everything. I don't want to start any arguments, I just want to get your opinion on this.

------------------
Red-shirted ensign: Captain, the Borgs are heading toward us! We have to do something!
Captain: *Looking at ensign in a strange way* Indeed we do. Transporter room, beam a couple of red-shirts on that cube. That will keep them occupied...
Red-shirted ensign: Mommy...

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I didn't see the ep, but antimatter wouldn't have much w/ which to react in space. A particle beam would change that...

Anyway, this thread should be in General Discussion. So I'm going to put it there. :-)

------------------
"Warning: warp core breach sooner than you think."
-Voyager computer, VOY:"Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, welcome back Terra!

We do get carried away sometimes, well OK, all the time. It's part of the fun for me, reading the post of starship lengths, or regitry numbers. Some of the more creative stuff is in those threads.

The thing with cannon stuff, is that it is supposed to be cannon if it hits the screen. If a mistake is made, then stuff hits the fan and we get a lot of posts. Which is a good thing.

(poster formerly known as The Excalibur, and still is at TNO)

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon is defined as the show, only, and in its entirety. If something appears on the show, it is indisputably canon; otherwise I could say the Enterprise is neon green or something. If a mistake does occur, it can be ignored on an individual basis only.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Don't worry; in Season Two we abandon it for 'I Am A Sock-Puppet!'" - Bob Skir

Chimaera
Ex-Member

With so many different people working on so many different series and movies (not to mention the books, etc.), inconsistencies are inevitable. I just ignore them, if I even notice them at all. I aggree, continuity is great (and I hope any future series has more than what we've seen so far), but to examine each episode so closely and nitpick every minor error, in my opinion, takes away from the fun of watching Trek.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome (back?) to the Forums, TerraZ.
I applaud your common sense approach.

I was going to post something along a similar vein, but I just couldn't be bothered with the aggro entailed.

Although the obsessions can be fun at times.

------------------
"So, no room for Bender, huh? Well I'll build my own lunar lander, with blackjack, and hookers.
In fact, who needs a lander, or blackjack?
Ah, screw the whole lot o' ya!"
-- Bender, Futurama.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TerraZ: like ourselves, most professional historians write papers on very tiny aspects of the past, such as wooden legs, gas lighting systems, or the role of minister's women in 18th century America. They do not limit their inquiries to a certain general level, as you propose we do. Every little thing furthers our understanding of the Star Trek universe, even differences in spelling (can Starfleet spell?).

There will always be various levels of depth. Some fans may specialize in starships, while others will learn more about the broader Star Trek Universe. Some may choose to write "textbooks", and leave the tiny aspects in the form "it's either 59650 or 74913". (most history textbooks do that, actually, without giving any argument over which one is more likely, eg. early Native Americans either hunted down certain large animals to extinction, or there was a climate change which resulted in the extinction of the same animals).

To conclude, I can only advise people who think that *we* are obsessed with detail to check out Baring-Gould's Sherlock Holmes "biography". The level of analysis and juxtaposition of real history with the fictional character is obsessive, even for my standards.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited October 19, 1999).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What annoys me is the people that are so obsessed with canon that they totally ignore and shun anything non-canon. *pokes Frank* And please, don't lecture about anything in history. This is the future we're talking about. Anything can happen. Nothing is set in stone.

------------------
Fabrux's Starship Page
Now with only 1 popup!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three, three, three Fabruxes in one!

Hey, there's nothing wrong with canon-only. At the least, it's easier to keep the facts straight.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta agree.
Besides if their wasn't a canon standard imagine the chaos here as people try to explain off every new book that not only contradicts the series but every other book in existence.
It wouldn't be pretty.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux: I think that historiography is the real-world profession which comes closest to our little hobby. The difference being that we are not historians examining real documentary footage and real technical manuals, but rather made-up footage and technical manuals.

We merely need to decide whether we want to treat the two as real, or whether we want to treat them as made-up. I find it more interesting to treat everything as if it were absolutely real, because it makes you think harder and not use the excuse "it's a mistake anyway" when examining a particularily thorny issue such as the Prometheus registry. If there is no challenge in the thinking exercise, it seems pointless to memorize volumes of information about starships and everything else. Too much irrelevant info to warrant the purpose of "fun".

So, what TerraZ is basically suggesting is to examine the issues, but not stress over the details because the footage is fake. Here's a question: let's say the footage is fake, because after all, it is merely an artistic representation of the REAL Star Trek universe (not a documentary about the real Star Trek universe, but a real MOVIE about the same, like James Cameron's Titanic as opposed to old Titanic footage). How would that influence our interpretations?

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited October 19, 1999).]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*the mighty Admin steps in and swirls his cloak; hidden by its voluminous folds, two of Fabrux's three posts disappear*
TerraZ
Ex-Member

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with canon, but that there's a limit (which varies from one person to another) to what's canon. For example, how many of you considers VOY "Threshold" (is that the correct spelling?) canon? I sure don't!

I'm a technology and physics freak myself. I'm obsessed with all the details (especially about starships) but I don't care for registries myself. I'm just saying that everyone is free to take or reject whatever they see fit. Of course, like you said, it's fun to try to find an explaination for errors, but when it's too far-fetched, I think it's easier to simply dismiss it.

Glad I didn't offend anyone. Thought I might have struck a nerve or something.

------------------
Red-shirted ensign: Captain, the Borgs are heading toward us! We have to do something!
Captain: *Looking at ensign in a strange way* Indeed we do. Transporter room, beam a couple of red-shirts on that cube. That will keep them occupied...
Red-shirted ensign: Mommy...

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet the Voyager writters would like to forget "Threshold" too. But then Threshold is one of the eps most open to bashing, which leads to disscusion.

Lets say Paris never hit warp 10. He got so close that, without the proper shielding, the experiance changed his makeup. He's also had the hots for Janeway, ever since she sprung him from stir. So as his mind begings to come down to the size of a lizards, the breeding instinct kicks in, and he kidnaps janeway and exposes her to the same phenomina(sp). she has a faster metabolism, and becomes a lizard at the same time as Paris, they have little lizards, and then return to normal.
When I started I had a point, but it eludes me now, so I'll stop.

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably for the best. . . 8P
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps