Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Stuff in Issue #23 of Star Trek the Magazine (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Stuff in Issue #23 of Star Trek the Magazine
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I just picked it this All-Borg issue. They have small articles on the Saber and Steamrunner classes plus fold-out sheets for both and some nice full-page CGI pics. A couple of statements about the Saber I found odd: 1. it was introduced in the 2370s--it has got to be older than that. 2. The entire ship is similar is size to a Galaxy saucer--I don't think they are that big.

------------------
"Ah, the Luftwaffe. The Washington Generals of the History Channel."
-Homer Simpson

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you believe the Fact Files silhouette chart of Starfleet vessels, the Saber is incredibly huge...which contradicts the Encyclopedia, but backs up the Magazine.

I also agree that registry-wise, the Saber class should be older. IIRC, the Yeager had a registry of only 5XXXX, but then again so did the Prometheus.

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

[This message has been edited by Dukhat (edited February 03, 2001).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone scan those Steamrunner and Sabre pics and post the here???

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impession that the Sabre was about the same size as the Defiant, only the nacelles made it a bit longer. All ship-charts I've seen confirms this, for what it's worth. The same size as a Galaxy-saucer, who came up with that?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, the person who wrote the article in the Magazine

I can't remember who posted the FF ship chart with the huge Saber...I think it might have been PiNa'Sov.

------------------

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will scan them later today

------------------
"Ah, the Luftwaffe. The Washington Generals of the History Channel."
-Homer Simpson

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only known registry for a Sabre Class starship is NCC-61947.

And, though never resolved, registries don't indicate age. I would tend to agree that the Sabre Class was introduced during the run of TNG (2364 to 2370) and first introduced to us in 2373.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Galen
Member # 72

Some of these pics we have seen before, but here they are--hastily attached to a web page. http://members.nbci.com/vanguard47/Ships.htm

------------------
"I tried once to be a history teacher, but I saw no future in it."
-Homer Simpson

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
61847? *whistles*

It'd be pointless to wanna go and kick their asses, because their heads are so far inside, you'd kick their ear.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they had just made it NCC-71947, instead of 61947, it would of been a whole lot easier. Yeager...1947, I think most people here see that connection. I'd guess they came into service in the late 2350's to early 2360's, and we just only got to see them in 2370's.

As for the Prometheus, I still believe it's actual intended registry is NX-74913 as seen on its dedication plaque and MSD. Only that the CGI department screwed up and put NX-59650, with Okuda's art department getting it right. Afterall, registeries may not be 100% accurate for telling when a ship was launched, but he did say they're semi-chronological. I know the email's been reprinted at least once here.

I'd like to get a larger 800x600 of that new pic of the Steamrunner too. Unlike the Saber one, which looks like a slight touch-up, this is a cool looking new image.

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited February 03, 2001).]

Galen
Member # 72

Even the orthographic views show 61947. And if anyone wants a bigger version of the picture, just give me an email address to send it to. I have not figured out yet how to upload just plane picture files to NBCI's member's site without inserting them into a web page.

------------------
"I tried once to be a history teacher, but I saw no future in it."
-Homer Simpson

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one bad ass ship, if they'd only do them all that way... with a decent size comparision we'd be rockin'...

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

[This message has been edited by Ritten (edited February 04, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the first good aft view of a Steamer ever. And does she look good from behind.

Finally, we see the shuttlebay! One big one, snuggled in there between the nacelles. But then, where're the impulse drives? Those odd things just below the shuttlebay?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the problem with the FC ships...lack of detail. Well except the Akira which got more attention than the others.

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the first and the fourth pictures just look like the pictures as seen in "The TNG Sketchbook"

The second is just the first with some warp 'stars' and a lense flare- thingy on the bussard collector.

The only worthwhile picture from the new mag looks to be that new angle of the Steamrunner.

P.S. It'd be nice if we could see the BOTTOM of these First contact ships... including the Norway.

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited February 04, 2001).]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps