Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Stuff in Issue #23 of Star Trek the Magazine (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Stuff in Issue #23 of Star Trek the Magazine
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I inspected the high-res pictures of the sabre we got a couple of days ago and you can clearly see a mounted node of some sort just above the first digit, the 6, in the registry. It covers the Y and E over Yeager.
It must be the forward launcher. It looks like it's double-barreled, could explain the volley in FC.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 06, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a fan-produced MSD of the Sabre... Anyone link to it? It was posted here not too long ago, but I can't find it...

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The botom view of the Saber shows the Nav deflector pointing aft instead of forward and the haven't drawn any structure in the front part of the bottom bump that could be the deflector.

Me thinks these schematics are not entirely accurate...

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are always oversights in star trek ships it seems like. The Galaxy for instance; when the saucer was separated from the engineering hull, the engineering hull supposedly had worse maneuvering on a certain axis than if the saucer had been attached and the whole ship had been performing the maneuver. Why? With the saucer attached the thrusters were farther from the center of gravity. Now this is more understandable than the Streamrunner's oversight, but for the sake of discussion I suppose there was some reason or another that particular spot was vulnerable on it, maybe the writers merely wanted fodder for their spiffy cgi scenes.

I really wish they would have had some pictures of the Norway. It seems to be the scapegoat of the FC ships, maybe because it appeared in fewer scenes at odd angles to make it almost undistinguishable from the Akira. I can only hope they will have an article or two in future issues, even though I know that will never happen. *sigh*

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is.
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/cutaway.gif

This MSD shows a launcher in the nose as well as the tail. Good enough for me.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This MSD shows a launcher in the nose as well as the tail. Good enough for me.

Captain: "Mr. Y, fire torpedos!"
BOOM

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited February 06, 2001).]

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dog Gammit futhermucking Bon of a Sitch! This post spent all night on my computer and was in response to Targetemployee's post on the first page. I suppose somebody in my house saw it and hit the reply button thinking it was finished. *shrug*
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a long distance shot of a Norway Class starship as the Borg ship explodes. The ship is seen in the lower right corner.

Someone mentioned earlier that the Streamrunner Class starship is slow. I think this is proven by the escape velocities of the starships as the above mentioned Borg ship ended its service life. We see three of the newer classes-Akira, Norway, and Streamrunner-escaping from the debris path. Based on the data, I conjecture that the Akira is the fastest ship. The Streamrunner is the slowest, with the Norway being the second fastest.

A question-Is CGI more or less expensive than traditional model making? If less expensive, then why don't the producers use CGI more effectively?

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: when I saw the ventral diagram of the Sabre, I also thought that it had the deflector dish pointing aft. It took me a while, but I think it is pointing forward. You just have to keep in mind that the dish-part is smaller and there is a very large section of grille between the dish-part and the edge of the secondary-ish hull. On top of that, the dish-part seems to be pushed in further than on other designs. So, I think the dish is pointing forward, but it looks wrong because 1) the ship has a funky dish design and 2) the proportions of the dish are funky as well.

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhh. I think I see it now. At least I see where the dish is supposed to be. It's that curved notched line that I thought was a phaser strip there to the right of where the line pointing to the dish ends. To make it clearer, the line should be pointing to the curved line which is actually the upper part of the deflector housing.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Nim
Member # 205

Well the "lamp shield"-like deflector mouth is the giveaway...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When in hell did all of you get your issue? I am still waiting for mine and the ST Communicator. I subscribed to it months ago and never got one yet. With the ST:M I got one after Christmas in the mail but not now, I am DUE for a fucking one.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know it has been 5 YEARS! since we've been able to see the ventral sides of the Sabre and Steamrunner!

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod, I don't see how come anybody would think your from anywhere but the USA, 'lamp-shield'...
**Wes, can we get a few spoilers tossed in here**

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice fan-created MSD for the Saber. Has anyone out there created one for the Akira?

------------------
"I tried once to be a history teacher, but I saw no future in it."

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps