Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Stuff in Issue #23 of Star Trek the Magazine (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Stuff in Issue #23 of Star Trek the Magazine
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.neutralzone.de/Picture/Akira08.jpg

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOOoooh! Nice!

Looks very good, although the deflector dish looks like it is one, maybe two decks to far down.

------------------
I thought a professional demon chaser like yourself would've figured it out by now. I'm the Slayer. Slay-er. Chosen One. She-who-hangs-out-a-lot-in-cemeteries? Ask around. Look it up: "Slayer, comma, the."
- Buffy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: "Ahhhh. I think I see it now. At least I see where the dish is supposed to be. It's that curved notched line that I thought was a phaser strip there to the right of where the line pointing to the dish ends. To make it clearer, the line should be pointing to the curved line which is actually the upper part of the deflector housing."

No. The line points right to the deflector housing. What you thought was a phaser strip is most likely the ventral sensor array -- looks like the species found on the Galaxy class, even though it isn't specifically called out as such. Look at the schematic again, this time knowing that the forward face of the secondary hull is concave, not convex. The aft undercut of the secondary hull is much farther back.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is what I'm seeing. The actual dish may well be way the hell back against the aft wall of the housing, but that slotted line is definitely not a phaser strip.

edit-- well, I had intended to post a comparison graphic, but I'm a complete dumbass and threw it away, before I posted it...

*sigh*

I'll post it later. I'm too lazy right now...
------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited February 12, 2001).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. I got it now. The schematic is correct. Here:
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/saberdetail.jpg

The shaded part is the engineering hull. I thought the area encompassed by the oval to the right of the shaded area was part of the EH. My bad.

I get it.

Proceed with the discussion and I'll be quiet...

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHERE did you get that schematic from!?! Those types of schematics are soo COOL! I'd love to see all the new ships like that... better than those wierd Encyc schems...

LOVE IT!

I wonder about the warpcore ejection 'hole' - does it mean that the warp core fires out the back - does that then mean it could be a horizontal warp core... or like the defiant a vertical warpcore - but doubled in on itself for space purposes...

I still think that the Sabre is a 'family' member with the Defiant... and that she was another of the "weapons" that Starfleet were months away from completing along with the Defiant...

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily, given the NCC (and *I* think it's chronological) and the apparent lack of "new weapons" that Shelby was talking about in "BoBW". No, I just think that the Sabre is the latest in a long list of light cruisers that we'd just not seen until now.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A horizontal Warp core would be logical for a thin ship.
And if gravity did have anything to do with the dispersal patterns of the warp coolants, couldn't it be solved easily with some stasis fields or something?
Could the ejection hole be used to scale the ship, right? So we don't have to worry about it being the same width of a Galaxy saucer?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

That schematic was posted on page 2 along with all the other views. I just inverted the color.

That's the bottom view of the ship, so I guess I just assumed that the ejection hole was facing down. But, it's on a sloping face, so I suppose it could be facing aft. Check the aft schematic...

As for scaling, the escape pods appear to be the same as the Galaxy Class ones. Use them for scaling...

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The aft view shows the ejection hole as a narrow ellipse, so I guess the core fires more or less straight down...

Using the lifepods (or "escape hatches"!) or the windows for scaling, one gets a ship about the size of the Steamrunner main hull - in fact, one could superimpose the two hulls rather nicely. In side view, the ship would be similar to a Miranda in size, 250-270 meters long. This would make more sense than a 170m ship, if we are to assume that the two squares on the bow are shuttlebay doors - they would be the smallest shuttlebay doors of that type ever seen if the ship was just Defiant-sized.

One wouldn't have to give up the DS9 TM "light cruiser" designation even with a 250-270m ship. Of course, the Miranda should be a "light cruiser" then as well. A crew count of 40 is nonsense in any case - there are, what, 108 lifepods on the ship, and far more volume than in a Defiant even if the Sabre is just 170m long.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seriously doubt the ejection chute would be turning. A horizontal one would actually be better, the whole thing could lie sideways against the long side of the room, and you could reach every part of it, just by walking sideways!

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have good schematic drawings of the top sides of the Saber and Steamrunner? I couldn't get them out of the magazine without cutting out the pages.

------------------
"The Internet. Is that thing still around?"
-Homer Simpson

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Look at page two of this thread. There's about 8 schematics posted.

Who said anything about the ejection chute turning? I just can't tell if it runs horizontally or vertically.

------------------

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got those pics, as I posted them originally. Just trying to find top views.

------------------
"The Internet. Is that thing still around?"
-Homer Simpson

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Whoops. Sorry Galen. My bad :0) Also sorry that I can't help you with the top view. I may have something at home...

------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps