Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Stuff in Issue #23 of Star Trek the Magazine (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Stuff in Issue #23 of Star Trek the Magazine
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, that doesn't mean that those particular Steamrunner's hadn't been fighting the borg for 3 days before getting destroyed.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said, they look more sporty than combative....
High speed scout, special operations/Section 31 agent deployment/recovery vehicle, and the such.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is with the lettering on that Sabre? The name and registry at the front in the little divot area is correct - but look up on the side of the tail area - the name and registry are reversed!?!

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, they are, looks like they made a little goof...

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only closeup-scene of the Steamie, flying over the Enterprise-E and firing phasers, paint it out very sluggish IMO, roaring up there.
As for fragile design-issues, well maybe that's what you get when you design the deflector dish hanging down from the craft, out into outer space.

Now the Sabre, darting past the Enterprise viewscreen upclose like a bee, in the first seconds of the battle, gave me a real impression of a high-speed scout.
------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 05, 2001).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were there any schematics in the magazine??

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The aft view of the Steamrunner seems to confirm what I suspected - the ship has a GIGANTIC shuttlebay, with a single superwide door.

Perhaps this vessel is inherently vulnerable because it is analogous to an aircraft carrier? Large numbers of small craft and their fuel and ammo stacked inside, big cavities that compromise the structural integrity...

I've long fantasized that this is a "Marine" ship, a planetary assault vessel of sorts - it's not supposed to stand its ground in space battle at all, but only to disgorge large numbers of troops. Like some current USN amphibious warfare ships, it's built to "commercial" instead of "military" standards to avoid unnecessary expenses. Its only major forte in space combat is that big phaser at the bow, seen firing into the spot designated by Picard - perhaps a limited-application planetary bombardment weapon?

Do these ships have photon torpedo armament? That is, have they been shown firing torps?

Timo Saloniemi

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have the LCARS pictures from the Mag#22 with Barcley on the cover?

------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the shuttlebay on the Steamrunner looks similar to a Galaxy Class main shuttlebay.
------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

[This message has been edited by Michael_T (edited February 05, 2001).]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do these ships have photon torpedo armament? That is, have they been shown firing torps?

No, as far as I can see the Steamrunners in FC fired only phasers. I've counted 3 times a Steamrunner firing:

Steamrunner 1a
Steamrunner 1b
Steamrunner 2
Steamrunner 3

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question then goes, do DS9 episodes show these ships firing torpedoes?

I would gladly welcome the idea that this ship has no torpedo launchers, despite its considerable bulk. Every time Starfleet introduces a ship apparently built to a specific purpose (and omitting some of the traditional "nice to have" hardware), it's time to rejoice.

Do Sabres fire torpedoes?

And has anybody read the "SF Corps of Engineers" e-books? Why are those folks flying around in a Sabre? Are Sabres specifically qualified as towships or flying workshops?

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. http://fitz8472.hypermart.net/saber1.jpg

In this scene it seems that they have aft launchers too: http://fitz8472.hypermart.net/saber2.jpg

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited February 05, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Sabre has been seen firing torpedoes in "Tears of the Prophets" too. I was thinking that turret-like extension on the top of the ship could be just that.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it certainly looks that way. The Saber clearly fired torpedo's from it several times in First Contact.

------------------
I thought a professional demon chaser like yourself would've figured it out by now. I'm the Slayer. Slay-er. Chosen One. She-who-hangs-out-a-lot-in-cemeteries? Ask around. Look it up: "Slayer, comma, the."
- Buffy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish the two square doors in the "mouth" of the Sabre are launchers. Then this ship would be a feistier "Defiant Pathfinder" than the "Defiant Pathfinder".

We all know the launcher-sounds can differ from episode to episode (Ent-D), but during all them wonderful sound FX from the beginning of FC, I liked the way that Sabre kind of spat away the torpedo.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps