Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ATTN: Treknophile (Page 4)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: ATTN: Treknophile
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff:
Possibly, but I'd rather ask. As it is, the 3d Intrepid I'm using as the basis for my construction series is from the web - but so long ago that I have to clue as to whose it is (it was sent to me). In point of fact, I added so much detail to it (exterior and interior - including SIF grids), that it passes the graphic trademarking "7 points of differentiation" protocol - and I could probably just use it. But I am going to try to locate the original artist.

People:
As far as I know, here is how it is when it comes to Paramount and created product for sale.
1 - Prime Directive: Thou shall not use the word set "Star Trek" in any way or form.
2 - Secondary Directive: Thou shall not use a character in a story - although an oblique reference to one of the characters as part of a technical work is probably not a problem.
3 - "Starfleet" is not a problem. Star Trek used it as two words (the Star Fleet) - I (and most of you) use it as one. And there is ample usage of "Starfleet" in other science fiction. Including Star Wars. If Paramount wants to sue everybody using the term, Lucas will be first in line.
4 - "USS Intrepid" is not a problem. There have been wet-navy vessels with that name.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff:
If you want on the team (proofing?, etc.), I'll be glad to send you a PDF for proofing. Was that your intention?

Could you forward me a copy of your message to Warrior, so I don't say something you already have?

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Again with the problems of posting at the same times I sent Warrior an e-mail asking him for his permission (and also if might be interested in creating custom "meshes"), and I also posted his e-mail addie up yonder somewhere.

While I'm certainly not as technical minded as most of the guys here, would you be interested in perhaps a story set on an Intrepid-Class (featuring original characters, of course) which could perhaps illustrate some of the positives and negatives of the ship, not to mention sections of it that we haven't seen. Obviously, fiction can show things that the TV screen can't, and it would allow a more in-depth look as to a typical "day" about a Starfleet starship, up to and including a lot of the minor departments and inner working we have either never seen or only had tiny tantilizing glimpses of. This could be formated as a Federation "special interest" investigation into the inner-workings of a starship, or perhaps a Starfleet enlistment brochure designed to show incoming enlistees possible career choices.

Of course, I'd be more than happy to proof as well. I'm going to forward to you my e-mail to Warrior.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited March 06, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff: 3D Gladiators - I post there on occaision to correct details about bridges & stuff. Great artists over there. If we put a request to 'em, odds are someone would take up the challenge.

Dave: I *knew* something was up when I saw "Printed in Canada" across the back of your books. And the fact that I could actually find them in comic shops & stuff through the early 90s. Actually, if you were at any of the later Creation cons in Edmonton, odds are I was around too. Do you know the Project Dinonychus guy, who did starship schematics for just about everything?

Re: Other projects... I'm cool with proofing and stuff, but I'm afraid I don't have *that* much time on my hands. But where I can help and consult, I will. The Wolf 359 project sounds great, but there's a whole mess of ships and factors that are unaccounted for. OTOH, odds are that they will *never* be accounted for now that Voyager is over and the next series will likely not be in the TNG time frame, so a project that fills in the blanks wouldn't be so in danger of being over-ridden by Paramount any time soon.

Actually, I once envisioned a Shockwave presentation of the Wolf 359 battle, with cute little animated low-poly ships and arrows noting where the ships were & went as time elapsed. Could've been neat. If a Wolf 359 project were to materialize, I'd suggest actually rolling it in with ALL Federation encounters with the Borg (including the various Enterprise incidents, The Endeavour's thing, and First Contact - but excluding Voyager) into one big Federation vs. Borg volume as a Tactical Briefing released from Starfleet.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Jeff:
Great Idea! Either as a fiction part of a website, or as a caption portion to a technical model (voice-over...?)

Mark:
1 - I've never been to an Edmonton Creation Con. I belong to the older generation of fans, these "made- for-profit cons leave me a little cold.

2 - The Wolf 359 idea is EXACTLY what I was thinking about, and I agree on all counts.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working the helm of the U.S.S.Boylston is Lieutenant Ho'chak from Ferinti II. A graduate of Starfleet's Officer Candidate School on Alpha Centauri, and Flight Training at San Francisco, Ho'chak has mastered the skills necessary to pilot this grand vessel through any type of spacial distortions, as well as through battle.

Here on Deck Thirteen, Engineer's Mate Jon Carter, works at the Matter Reclimation controls, ensuring that Boylston's systems are working properly. Although this duty is not glamerous, it is neccessary to work one's way up in the engineering section. For Carter, who graduated from Enlistment Training three months ago, it is a welcome challange. "I've got such a variety of duties, everything from warp coil maintenance to shuttle repair. This is a great job, and I get to see the Galaxy too!"

Just an example of what I'm thinking of. The finished work would have an actuall story-line to it, showing off the various officers and enlisted as they work at their posts during a normal day, a scientific survey mission, or perhaps an emergency rescue or relief effort to another starship or a colony.

I would prefer to actually do this as a "fiction" addition, although I'm sure doing a voice-over would be feasable (although I'm not that good at writing VO stuff, so that might be tricky).

One good way to do it, at key stations and equipment throughout the ship, the browser could click on an icon, and a short blurb would appear, telling about the station, and the officer (or enlisted) who crew it. Assigning individuals to these blurbs would be a good way of "humanizing" the experience, although it would require a) naming the ship and b) actually talking about Starfleet's hierarchy in terms of officers and enlisted, something which TPTB like to skirt over quite a bit.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, are you thinking of doing the same sort of thing the LUG boys did with their TNG RPG? I dunno about that... It doesn't give the air of a true technical publication IMO, which is what I think we should push for. Not that the idea doesn't have merit, but I fell that assembling a book of this type means staying true to context - that is, the finished product should be as if it could be downloaded from the archives of Memory Alpha itself (sic).

OTOH, stuff like personnel logs, testimonial evidence, and so forth could be incorporated with a legitimate feel. The Aliens movie (Colonial Marines) tech manual had such a premise, which worked to a degree. Between the two, I'd suggest this latter option.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Mark,

The who to the what?

One of my ideas is that "story" could be encompased as perhaps a recruitment effort by Starfleet -- to show how various enlistees work and serve aboard an Intrepid-Class starship ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Jeff/Mark:
I think you both have valid points. The final result will probably be somewhere down the middle.

People:
Comments?

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, pardon me for not posting in a bit. No excuse, really

I acquired your SfD book from Lance last year. I love it! And it makes me proud to say "I am Canadian!"

Anyhoo, as for ranks, I suppose I'd go with Lt. Cmdr. Or maybe even just Lt. Or Ensign. Whatever suits your fancy. After all, you're the boss, boss.

I consider myself a jack of all trades. I dabble in just about everything, from proofing to writing to drawing to rendering. I design ships, but to me the moust fun about designing a ship is doing all the nitty gritty technical details

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

These are some good examples I just came up with:

quote:
The Operations post controls the starship's resources. The Operations officer is responsible for a wide range of duties, ranging from useage of the ship's sensors to the duty roster and a multitude of tasks in between. The Operations Officer aboard the USS Intrepid is Lieutenant (jg) Keith Marin.

The job of Operations Manager is reserved for officers, who either come through the Academy or OCS. This will be Lieutenant Marin's third starship assignment, and his first as Operations Manager for an entire starship. "It's a lot of responsibility," Marin says of his duties. "Even on a ship this small, with barely one-hundred and fifty people aboard, it's a full time job -- and I say that even though I've got a staff of four other officers under my command!"

quote:
Aboard the USS Intrepid, it is Chief Petty Officer Galeton N'ell's job to make sure everyone aboard is well stocked with whatever may be needed. As the Ship's Quartermaster, N'ell, a Homalganisa, is responsible for keeping the ship stocked with whatever supplies might be needed at any moment, including the ordering, stowing, and record-keeping of these supplies.

"It can be a tough job," N'ell, the senior NCO aboard the ship, said. "I've been in Starfleet for about twenty-seven years now, and this is my second assignment as Quartermaster. It's very fulfilling to know that I'm essentially the Intrepid's business manager, if you would. I would recommend the Quartermaster Division to any incoming recruits interested in a career in management or business when the leave the service."

A brief description of the job, whether that job is performed by an enlisted or officer, and a quote (and maybe some trivia -- in this case, that there is a staff of 5 ops officers on an Intrepid-Class ship).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited March 06, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you could set that up for a sort of 'Guided Tour' books, such as the Tom Clancy series, but in a 'Technical' publication, little 'tidbits' like that would get old and/or irritating fast. They just don't fit in with the style of a Technical publication.

------------------
"I WANT A POST VOY SERIES STAR TREK ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS LOOKING FORWARD NOT LOOKING BACK."

-Darkstar

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I missed a lot. Well, I guess I could help with 'military' related issues. I'm a pilot in the Air Force (and I am pretty well versed on the military, of course). I know Starfleet isn't a military, but the parallels would are quite easy to pick out. Would that be of help? I also have a few real models of a couple Wolf 359 ships. If you could figure a way to use them; on the website perhaps? And what exactly do you want in the bio?

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you've got enough volunteers. I would offer my services but most people find me a complete pain to work with (which is probably because I'm a world class nitpicker - I should be as quality control is part of my everyday job).

I'd like to see some new printed Treknology stuff. The only new stuff in recent years has been that put out by Federation Frontiers. They only make very limited use of colour.

In another thread you said:
"By the way, I read in one of these BBS that my old work is listed on eBay. ... Should I give someone a call? I've got BOXES of those things left..."

Okay, so what have you got boxes of? I've got Starfleet Dynamics but nothing else of yours. Gimme a price list and you'll probably be able to part me from some money.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps