Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ATTN: Treknophile (Page 10)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: ATTN: Treknophile
Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe we are working on creating an interactive program. The entire ship will be modeled in 3D, and be walkable, ie, walk around inside it. This is going to be an entire breakdown of the Intrepid Class from stem to stern.

At least, that's what I thought...

LOL

Lance

PS. Apparently my f*cked up page is fully loading two of the prints. I am working on it right now. Should be fixed by 4PM Saturday EST.

------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited March 10, 2001).]

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could join in with this. As well as being majorly interested in Treknology, I have access to some heavy duty graphics gear (ranging from Adobe Illustrator to 3D Studio Max), and I'm pretty well versed in typesetting.
Drop me a line if I might be of use!

Otherwise, I wish you all good luck and hope you keep the forums posted (and also provide lots of nitpick material to discuss!! )

------------------

Re'k
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Starbuck: I'm in the same boat. I left my computer alone for half a week, and ::poof::, I've missed a chance at doing something really great.

Ah well. Next time. I'd only be good at proofreading & making up explanations for technobabble, anyhow.

Treknophyle: I live in the Vancouver suburb of Coquitlam, and I'm interested in getting copies of Prototype and the Ent-A blueprints, and you say you've recently found a box of these. Since I don't have your email address, could you please email me at [email protected] (real name: Nelson Eisel) if/when you've determined the "fair price" for your two works?

IP: Logged
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re'k/Starbuck:
Don't count yourselves out yet. Persons who can make a contribution can be assigned specific tasks - and if they produce, we can always find a place.

Starbuck: I'd like some help with externalinternal detail shots of Intrepid rendering. I am using a program called Carerra. I want this puppy to rotate etc. Interested?

Re'k: Hi neighbour. I'll be nack at this thing on Monday. I'll gladly sell you what you want, and we'll see about making a place for you. Since I've been fairly strict with Lance about the numbers of proofers we need, this may take some time - but you won't be cut out of the loop. Star in Flare.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance:
No, you are right in the groove. Using the improved TCARS format, we are going to tie in as much data as possible. I already have Tim checking out the walk-though angle - but any other contributors welcome.

Wouldn't it be neat if we could walk around and meet each other virtually in a Starship? Like Rogue Spear on net? Comments?

------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Fructose 1:
They assimilated DC Fontanna. She wrote a Starfleet Concordance and self-published it, then Paramount bought her out.

Mark:
Good point. Key is to be.. low key.

Zor:
Don't knock the Ent-D plans too much. He suffered from a lack of dedicated nit-pickers.

Ryan:
Howdy.

Shik:
"Kike Crank"? I won't speculate...
See Lance's comments.

Team:
If we ever do get bought out, I promise that all contributors will be co-authors, and that nit-pickers will have starus as consultants. - Dave

Signing off until Monday.

------------------

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
*They assimilated DC Fontanna. She wrote a Starfleet Concordance and self-published it, then Paramount bought her out.*

The Star Trek Concordance was done in a whole different time. Paramount didn't really consider Trek to be their sacred cash cow back then. Also, Dorothy Fontana was already part of the fold, having worked on TOS. There's a good chance there was some intervention by close friend Gene Roddenberry.

None of this is applicable to an outside group in the legal climate of late 20th/early 21st century as seen by Paramount.

*Yeah, it's one thing to make an obvious copy and try to sell it for money. But a free copy is different. We don't make any money off it. They could sue us for all our 'earnings' but there wouldn't be any. The most they could do is force us to shut down the site.*

A free copy is no different. In the eyes of the courts, infringement is infringement, unless you can claim fair use, which is not applicable in this case. Paramount can do more than just take your earnings. As David is a "previous offender" (having received one cease and desist order from Paramount already), they can argue to the judge that they need to send a message. That points the way to punitive damages.

I'm just saying be careful. So far, I haven't seen any lawyers in this group, and it may be advisable to consult a trademark or copyright attorney.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starship Departments

Folks -- I'm trying to gather information on the various departments and sub-departments aboard the Intrepid-Class ship. I've already got most of the basics, essentially right now I'm looking for some "big" departments I might have missed, and as much "sub" science departments as you can all think of (i.e.: "Stellar Catography" is a sub-dept. of Science, etc.)

Thanks!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Starbuck
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Treknophyle...
I've not heard of Carrera but I can try to play around with the file, see if Max will take it or if it can be converted/imported. Odds are I know someone who can handle it...
Anything else you need, feel free to ask
What I wish I COULD do would probably need Flash experience - render the ship from every angle and varying distances, and fly around it, rather like in the TNG Tech Manual CD. As I recall, the original was a Quicktime VR, but how you make those I have NO idea.

I think the idea of an online environment would be cool, if hard to achieve. Certainly a Doom-like segment would be good - say, phaser practice - but the expansion pack for Elite Force seems to be edging in on this idea.
What we probably could offer instead of that would be more interactive panels - say, a useable transporter, or the chance to fly a shuttle.

I know a few people who might be able to help with crew models (which could be done in Poser) and their props and clothing - I think that a handful of 3D artists is all we need, but we'd probably want a wide range of talent. For example, I can do simple props and scenes, but I couldn't model a character worth a damn.

Anyway, just my two cents' worth. Feel free to give feedback, discuss, contact me... whatever This is going to be BIG!

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa-HOOOO!!! How the hell did you guys miss that?

It's now pretty much accepted that Intrepid is not NX-74655 but rather NCC-74600.

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

D-S
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Starbuck: I recently read something about doing a 3D rotation type thingy using Quicktime or something in 3D Worlds Mag.
Try looking on 3DWorldmag.com it may be there, If not Ill try and sacn and mail the article to you.

BTW - Beginner Max 3 user, good with Truespace. Just for everyones information Cant animate though

IP: Logged
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Shik? Rick's gone on record saying that was just a pulled-out-of-his-ass stopgap answer, and not to be treated as the Word of God. In fact, he said it's PROBABLY something else, but don't ask him what. He doesn't know...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which is why I said it was "pretty much accepted" instead of saying that Sternbach had it inscribed on stone tablets.

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll accept that. But I alo believe Rick when he says it most likely is something other than 74600.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps