Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Strategic Design and Tactical Group (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Strategic Design and Tactical Group
Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SDTG Members:

Here is the new thread. We will use this now rather than the "Attention Treknophile" one. Please post all comments here. Also, we are trying to minimize group emails, so all nit picking and such can be done here. Any major announcements or important things, whatever those might be, can be done through the mailing list. Gracias, amigos.

David has come up with the following logo. I pointed out that the station is shown with TMP orientation, and should be inverted. What do you guys think?
http://thetrekker3.homestead.com/files/Lagrange_1_Station_Logo.gif

Shik, please mail me your email address, too.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Lance

------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would invert the station, or maybe take a modified version of the Utopia Planitia type or Jupiter station.

The logo looks fine, except that there is too much lettering on it. I propose to reduce it to the name "Starfleet Design & Tactical", the location "Lunar Orbital Ship Yards,..." and the motto.

The motto... Hmm. I was never very fond of explicitly mentioning "war" as a purpose or only a possibility. It's just my personal impression that an official Starfleet facility shouldn't be labeled with "war".

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked my latin suggestion better.

Anyway, the main concern with the logo for me is that there's TOO much detail. I was under the impression that logos were to be of the detail that could be embroidered, or printed - look at the emblems for various Starfleet doodads in the encyclopedia. It looks fantastic, but IMO it looks a little out of place compared to the others we know of.

As fot the "Orbital Office Complex", Bernd is correct that it looks odd. It's positioned corretly to act as such, but it's missing all the peripheral modules we see in TMP. I believe most people will mistake it for an upside-down Regula station, and treat it as such. If you altered it to look at it from a less familiar superior angle, it's less likely to be interpreted as a Regula.

Unless it's *supposed* to be a Regular, at which point most people will wonder why it's upside down.

Mark

Traffic on the Mailing list? I've gotten barely any in the past week. This forum is better anyway, but have I missed out on stuff?

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work.

Perhaps it is consistant with the Team name: SD&T, but I think the emphasis on war is over the top. So, the motto needs more thought. And "Tactics, Ships, Weapon Systems" follows the war theme more heavily than I am comfortable with.

As the Team develops and gets a feel for its members, I pose the following thoughts:

Is the goal of this team to do just 24th century designs/writing's or will Admiral Schmidts previous interest in TOS movie themes pop up from time to time? I hope so. If so, then a logo blend of both time periods is appropriate.

I am also of the opinion that the logo is too cluttered. Looks great when its as large as the link page we're viewing; but, won't work if reduced for more practical purposes. Such as a title age, letterhead, envelope covers, etc. Being able to emboider it isn't a priority for me. But the logo should work well as an iron-on for the chest (large) or just the left breast (small) of a t-shirt?

I would eliminate one 'drydock' facility for the purposes of the logo being more clean. So I haven't a problem with the Office Complex. More office modules might bring the logo back to a cluttered state. But am unopposed to viewing it, if it can be done. As I've been working on a plan layout of that smaller station myself, there is plenty of room for the "team".

"Prototype Design and Evaluation" as well as "LaGrange 1, Sol 3-A, Sector 01" (should that read: Sector 001?) would look best on a web page, title page, or envelope, below the actual logo.

Please comment.

------------------
Purrr...

[This message has been edited by Psi'a Meese (edited March 20, 2001).]

IP: Logged
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All comments have been reviewed.
I will recreate a second version, trying to incorporate all such suggestions.
By the way, Using Photoshop, I can "posterize" (flatten) the station's colors for t-shirt etc, while still keeping it photo quality for web.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, I'd like to object to having the complex at L1.

Given the size and incredibly high albedo of Starfleet ships and stations, the complex would very likely be visible from Earth. L1 is (by definition) directly between Earth and the Moon, so this is going to mar the view of the Moon from Earth's surface.

Additionally, we know there are lunar colonies, and presumably there's a fair amount of Earth/Moon traffic. Also, I'd be surprised if there weren't transporter relays in place (with stationkeeping thrusters). Given all of that, do you really want to place a strategic R&D facility smack dab in the middle of this? It's sorta like planting Area 51 on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point JB. I took out reference to L1.

------------------

D-S
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definately turn the station 180 [prefer it with the cylinders down]. Maybe it is a little too cramped, still like it a lot though.

[Shortest reply sofar ]

Couldnt the 2 dry docks be made smaller or maybe moved?
I think completely removing them would be wrong

[This message has been edited by D-S (edited March 20, 2001).]

IP: Logged
Treknophyle
Member # 509

I can't post the changed logos on the Flare network. Does anyone else have this problem? Lance?

In Valhalla, if I ever meet the caveman who carved the first wheel, I'm going to knock him silly. Meddler!

------------------

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been away for awhile.
Anybody want to fill me in on what's going on here?
I noticed logo designs and wepages. Those happen to be things I do quite well.

It might be interesting to help.
Thanks

--Black Knight

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AGAIN...screw the logo. It's TRIVIAL SHIT. We'll deal with it at the END.

Lance: email is the same as the AIM name. Just add "@aol.com" at the end.

OK, now here's MY take on all this: I'm moving in 2 weeks. I have a lot to do. I want to know EXACTLY what's going on, EXACTLY what our end goal is, EXACTLY who's handling what & reporting to whom. I want to be able to have a clearly-defined goal and a clearly-defined chain of command and departmental separation. Otherwise, I'm packing my bags now & getting the hell out of Dodge while I can. I only have so much energy to allot to projects these days, and if it's not being used wisely, I'd rather not have to allocate it. This isn't being pissy, this is simple command instinct. In fact, it's actually Faera coming front.

Again...we're bogging down on minutiae again. Logos, mottos, orientation of a fragging SPACE STATION? Who CARES. That's scut work. It's trivial shit. It's been, what? Three weeks now? And I STILL haven't the FAINTEST clue as to what the end project or my role in it is. I only know that it has something to do with David's Intrepid-class blueprints of which I saw a bit of on the site. Other than that.... :::raises arms & shrugs:::

End run of it is: let's get shit together or I'm walking. I don't think I'm irreplaceable, either...and I don't think one less person is going to hurt.

End tirade, begin logic: The motto is moronic. Let me write it...or rather, let G'Kar write it. He's been quite profound of late. Station? ("STATION!!") Who cares. Station location (ha): If you want it near a shipyard, I suggest Hesperia Planum or Chryse Planitia on Mars (if you want to be near a "real" shipyard) or Titan or Mimas, near the Saturn Fleet Yards (one of "my" yards orbiting Saturn). Even better would be NO centralized location, but a nice little "Helsinki--Tokyo--Brasilia--Tau Ceti IV--Damogran--Rigel II--Izar" kind of runner like publishing houses have.

David: I know you're fond of & attached to the name "Strategic Design & Tactical Group" name, but I gotta be honest. It don't flow. In fact, it's an oxymorn. How can something be both strategic AND tactical at the same time? Let's face it--when it comes down to things, this IS the military we're dealing with. Nice short names. Acronyms are fun. Something like "Emergent Technologies Section" might work better. Doesn't have to BE that...but you get the drift.

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chryse Planitia isn't really near Utopia Planitia. Elysium Planitia is the most adjacent, I suppose. Even Hellas Planitia is closer than Chryse.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are two versions of the logo by David, one is 128 color (for website) other is 16 color (for t-shirts, stationery, etc.).
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/temp/schmidt/Lagrange_2_Station_Logo.gif
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/temp/schmidt/Lagrange_2a_Station_Logo.gif

My comments:
I like these much better than the ones with the lots of text. The Latin motto is much more distinguished and less aggressive than the other one.

And it's definitely "Agnitio pro tutamine". "Pro" comes with the fifth case, the ablative (has nothing to do with hull armor ;-)).

BTW, the logo for the website could have millions of colors as well, since I would save it as a jpg anyway.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm not a member of the group, but I've designed a lot of emblems (too many). I think the main problem is that the logo is too busy: too many words, too busy picture, too busy shape. It looks more like the cover of a paperback book than a patch. A good emblem should be easy to understand and based on simple words and a simple picture. The hexagon should have words on each side: having them only on the top 3 sides and
on the bottom looks unbalanced. Maybe reducing to a pentagon, a diamond, or a triangle might be better.

For mottoes, how about: "Qui desiderat pacem preparate bellum?"
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
"Pace bello paratus"

Does anyone mind if I take a crack at it? I you want me to use the the ship graphics, please send them to me at [email protected]

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an observation about the suggested logos and logos in general.

Oftentimes elements within them are rendered VERY rather simply, such as with flat on with no perspective, or viewed isometrically or orthographically.

You might consider a head-on view of the elements. You might also consider something that works well in silhouettes.

The best logos can be read at a glance...that's really what they're for after all.

Neutron

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps