Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Strategic Design and Tactical Group (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Strategic Design and Tactical Group
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, checked it a day late. The question is heard in its entirety, and goes something like this (I wrote it down and then carefully stored the note in a garbage bin somewhere):

"Calculate the intermix ratio for a Galaxy class starship with both its matter and antimatter tanks 9/10 empty, so that it can reach a target 100 ly away at warp 8"

To this, everybody except Mirren answers "1:1". Wesley then comments "Once I realized it was a trick question, it was easy", and Mordock says "There can be only one intermix ratio". The two do not extrapolate on their answers beyond that.

Now, how to interpret this as not contradicting the TNG TM? Well, I'd still say there are hidden assumptions here. The trick part need not be that there can be only one intermix ratio in the universe in all conditions. Instead, the trick part could be that in all cases where fuel has to be conserved, one has to use the 1:1 ratio. Or then that a journey of 100 ly at warp 8 implies long-term cruise mode, in which one always uses the 1:1 ratio, not the other ratios which are reserved for accelerations and decelerations, start-ups and powering-downs.

In other situations (like, say, a situation involving accelerations and decelerations, or calling for maximum performance instead of maximum fuel efficiency), one would have to carefully calculate the ratio using the sort of logic seen in TNG TM. But part of the question revealed that this was not one of those situations. Mirren would probably have known how to calculate the ratio (and would eventually have gotten the correct answer, or an approximation like 0.99999987954:1), but the calculations simply took her too long. The question was formulated in a way that required intuition, or the remembering of a rule-of-thumb, instead of the mechanistical following of a formulaic solution.

Mordock's somewhat weird way of putting it (stating out flatly that "there can be only one ratio") could be attributed to his less than perfect command of English. We could also remember the tendency of his race to only present 100% ready solutions, never half-baked ones - thus, he would always state his answers in completely absolute terms, and never allow an "assuming that...", "in this case" or "unless..." to slip in.

If there literally was only a single possible intermix ratio, then it seems unlikely the otherwise apparently supersmart Mirren would have missed the answer. Of course, it COULD be that this was a typical "boy" question: girls don't know anything about starships in the 24th century, just like they are completely ignorant of cars in the 21st, which is why Mirren had no idea of intermix ratios despite her implied brilliance in other fields. (Vulcan girls don't count as girls, for several obvious reasons...)

Timo Saloniemi

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After people went to all the trouble of pulling out the manual, how is it nobody noticed how they refer to antimatter? Contrary to what Peregrinus wrote, it is antideuterium. You can even find something in one of the drawings labeled as an antideuterium sublimator. He assumed antideuterium and antihydrogen are different things. Antideuterium would be an isotope of antihydrogen. Antiprotium and antitritium would be others.

------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

[This message has been edited by Tech Sergeant Chen (edited April 05, 2001).]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never assume you know what I am thinking. I meant exactly what I said. I know all about the isotopes of Hyrdogen, and I know what Rick has said -- explicitly -- to this effect in his newsgroup: Deuterium and anti-Hydrogen (aka anti-Protium). I can't remember why ATM, but there was a reason for the extra neutron of the Deuterium, and why it wasn't anti-Deuterium that was used... Timo? Do you remember what he said about that?

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If RS said that, then he's explicitly contradicting the TNG TM. Not that I really want to start an argument about whether Sternbach newsgroup postings are closer to canon than the TM.

------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The convers. goes like this:

"It was a trick-question. There is only one ratio of matter to anti-matter. 1:1."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Long Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Treknophyle

Any update on the progress of the Intrepid Deck Plans, or those of the Excelsior you mentioned you were working on ?

Last time I dropped in here, there seemed to be a discussion going on about the shape of a logo among the members of the group, so I wondered how you were getting on .

Long Tom

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things should have been proceeding (They BETTER have been..!)...

I, for one, will be able to take a more active role as administrative leader in about a week & a half. Still hammering out shit here at the new place, waiting for my new ATM card so I can switch servers, buy more furniture, etc.

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one would give my eye-teeth to work on this project...

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ingratiation & asskissing are not only ignored, but used against you. Bribes, however, are another matter entirely.

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi team. I thought I'd check back on this old BBS thread - and here you are.

We've moved over to a dedicated BBS on Juno(check elsewhere on this BBS for the URL - or contact Bernd.

Shik: I am actually making lots of progress - in your hiatus, I decided to COMPLETELY revamp the deck-plans (Mark 2 - Mod 1), since I acquired good high-rez images of the exterior of the Intrepid-class - and found to my chagrin that I was off by quite a lot. They are about 65% done at this time - and I hope to have them ready for re-proof by the time you are ready.

Starbuck:
I thought you already were on the team. Check in after Shik is back - at that time, we will be separating the wheat from the chaff - those who have made helpful suggestions versus those with not enough time or enthusiasm. If you have nit-picking talent/other talents, we will use you.

See you guys on Juno.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*snif*

Dave's calling it "Mark II". I'm so bewildered I have this much influence on Trek technology. But I'm flattered, Dave. Thank you very much. I'm sure whoever Mod is is glad too.

Mark <-- Hey! 100th post again!

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

Don't forget the little extra of the shuttlebay we saw on the most recent episode of Voyager. Where Q's son takes the Delta Flyer for a joyride.
Dave, as soon as this transit strike is over, we can get rolling on the transfer of the Excelsior plans.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't you read the paper this morning? The union accepted it - 91%. In Calgary, anyway. :P

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it's the Vancouver transit strike that's in question, no?

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Re'k
Ex-Member

(Vancouver TransLink grumble grumble bus grumble 45 minute walk from train station to house grumble grumble...)
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps