Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Strategic Design and Tactical Group (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Strategic Design and Tactical Group
Re'k
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... well... let's say the fictional Capt. Schmidt was 35 back when he was a leading the Cathedral Unit (Starfleet Prototype, year 2292). 35 might be kind of young for a captain, but hey, it's the Kirk era. This would make him 120 years old in 2377. This is well within the lifespan of a human in the UFP. Doctor/Admiral McCoy was well over 140 when he toured the Enterprise D.

Nitpick: There is an enlisted mess, and there is or was once a captain's dining room. Is there no officer's mess?

Nitpick We Can't Do Anything About: The distribution of lifepods is not consistent with the distribution of the ship's population. Deck 6 has 22 officers quarters, 60 enlisted quarters... and 8 lifepods. Nothing we can do, since the lifepod placement is pretty much fixed by the appearance of every external shot of Voyager.

Further To Above: Okay, time to go, clear the bridge! Harry, Tuvok, into the first escape pod. Tom, Ensign Yellowjacket, into the second pod. Janeway, there's a travel pod in the shuttlebay, main power is down and the turbolifts don't work so use the J-tubes, all the emergency doors are closed so take a crowbar. Four minutes 'till the core breach, good luck!

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those escape pods can hold six or more, can't they? As per the TNG tech manual? (Assuming for a moment that Voyager's pods aren't smaller. I can't say I've ever checked.)

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janeway doesn't need a lifepod. A captain's supposed to go down with her ship.

------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

Re'k
Ex-Member

My mistake. I'd thought the escape pods only held 2 people each for some reason. The TNG tech manual says they are designed for four, but can hold up to six. The illustration shows three chairs. Go fig.

The Bridge, then, has enough lifepod seats for everybody. (that's good to know... I have a roleplaying game character on a particularly adventurous Intrepid, and he's often on the bridge) The habitat sections still don't. Deck 6 still has 82 quarters and 32 (max 48) spaces in lifepods. Again, though, nothing we can do about it I guess.

I can still whine about it.

The nacelles are rated for warp 9.972, so their rating in Cochranes will be equal to the speed of Warp 9.972 in multiples of C. (see TNG tech manual p.55) It looks like Dave couldn't fill this in for the Intrepid's nacelles, so the first page just says that they're "xxx-cochrane rated". Does anybody know the formula for finding the speed in c for a given warp factor?

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

Has anyone taken a look at the Official Trek site? They are planning to launch some kind of walk through of Voyager soon.

------------------
Purrr...

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re; lifepods. There might not be as many lifepods on the decks containing living quarters as others because Starfleet assumes that in most abandon ship scenarios the crew will be at their stations, and not in their quarters. If it's bad enough that you need to use the lifepods, chances are you haven't just been cruising along twiddling your thumbs.

------------------
"This computer is for library research and Internet searching only."

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posting this for Masao: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/temp/schmidt/sdtg-masao1.jpg

I like the suggestion. It doesn't have to be a starship.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a problem with the name

"Strategic Design and Tactical Group"

OK, Strategic and Tactical - are basically the same word.

and the way its worded... do you dabble in Strategic Designs while being a Tactical Group as a day job!?!

Put Strat and Tact together... infact eliminate one of the words, because it becomes redundant...

Andrew

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting the emblem, Bernd. Anyways, this is my suggestion for a emblem for the group. If this group was established 100 years ago, the emblem might date from that time and not use a contemporary ship. I included a knight and sword to symbolize strategy and weapons and little shields whizzing around to indicate tactics. The colors can be changed, of course.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about a design/emblem like those TOS each-ship-has-their-own-insignia type design?

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh.. Strategic and Tactical are *not* synonyms. They are terms used to describe levels of military engagement. Ship to ship combat is tactical stuff - most of the engaements we see. Strategic combat is on the multiple fleet level, with hundreds if not thousands of elements making up the individual forces.

So, sinking the Bismarck would be a tactical level event, while D-Day would be very much a strategic thing. It's quite different.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi team:

Let's assume this present atavar of David Schmidt is a decendant. Not too far a stretch, since my own son is David Jr.

Strategy & Tactics - I concur Mark.

I'm not sure I like the latest logo. I am more a fan of late 24th century design - high-tech. I don't feel a logo has to be 'flattened' so as to match the few colors used in the Starfleet Academy logo. Although I see the point about using contemporary starships - someone did point out that we could swap the starships to match our ongoing projects.

The Captain's Dining Room is the Ward Room (Officer's Dining Room). And there will be access from the corridor. My mistake.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not yet have a TV capture card in my computer. That's coming in June. I know someone who does, and I'll see if she has "The Wounded" on tape...

Shik: As for the motto, this group is here to design ships and formulate tactics to maximize survivability in any imaginable situation. I think "ready for anything" states quite effectively what we hope to accomplish, never mind how 'realistic' it might be to try to plan for every eventuality.

Question: Is there one torpedo magazine servicing both launchers -- seeing as how they are fairly close to each other in the overall layout -- or is there a separate magazine for each fore and aft?

Does anyone have the issue of Star Trek: The Magazine (or the Fact Files) that cover Voyager's deck one?

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things of a recreational nature (logo, motto, etc.)might possibly be put up to a vote among team members?

I would like a veto though...

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deck One: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/temp/deck-one-plan.jpg

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps