Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Strategic Design and Tactical Group (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Strategic Design and Tactical Group
Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need any help?

I know a thing or two about this type of thing.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Group,

Okay, first I am going to respond to Shik:

I have no idea what your AIM screen name is. I am guessing Shik@aolcom?

Secondly, that post is completely out of line. We are trying to get "our shit" together. This is Dave's project, and if he wants to have a "trivial" or "moronic" logo, than that is what we'll do. I personally like desiging mottos... :-)

Secondly, "Strategic Design and Tactical" is taken directly from previous works Dave has produced. In keeping this title, we are being consistent with past publications. Again, this is Dave's project, he picked the title, and invited us to help him.

You are, of course, free to express your opinions. But please keep your "tirades" to a low roar. I am in this for the fun, not "work". So, walk if you will, we'll miss you. But, if you want to stay, we will continue to do things the way Dave wants to do them. Again, this is his group.

Now, on with the other points:

Dave, I don't know how to post an image directly in Flare either, that's why I am using my site.

Group, check out the two latest logos (grit your teeth Shik!):

Logo Variation 2- http://thetrekker3.homestead.com/files/Lagrange_2_Station_Logo.gif

Logo Variation 2A- http://thetrekker3.homestead.com/files/Lagrange_2a_Station_Logo.gif

Changes suggested the team have been implemented. Same logo twice: Lagrange 2 Station Logo for web (128 colors), Lagrange 2a Station Logo for stitching (16 colors).

-Lance

------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh...heehee...didn't realize Bernd has already posted them. Does this mean I can stop with my page Bernd? I don't mind, but Homestead is such a pain in the ass to import pictures into...

Lance

------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll find Shik's AIM name in his profile. Just klick on the -Icon beneath his name.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited March 21, 2001).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like designing logos and mottos as much as the next geek...but that's how my own projects have been killed in the past. :::shrugs::: Whatever. I don't care.

You're right. It's not my project. I know this. I knew this. Silly me, I thought the point behind posting and asking for considerations was to actually consider it. Noted, logged, and archived for future reference.

Unlike you, Lance, I'm in this for the work. No matter how fun something is, it's still work, and is treated as such. I just want to know. Show me something substantive. It's been three weeks; what's been going on? The emails are jumbled and completely useless, there still no defined end goal....I'm sorry, but I think I deserve an explanation of the big picture before there's reallocation of energies. This is something due any member of any project.

Email me, IM me, send it by rat with a note attached to its tail. Don't care. Lance, in taking a position of "second," you've basically been deem to handle problmes. This is a problem. In my world, Dave's the candidate and you're the campaign manager. This is no way to run a campaign.

Fire me, ask me to resign, hammer things out, whatever. Resolution. Soon. I have to call about getting my electricity turned on.

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

Shik,

If you consider this work, and want some kind of employee's handbook with procedures, rules, and guidelines, then I suggest we elect you to develop that. But, I am not in this for the "work". Work is something I get payed for. I am doing this on my own free time, for fun, to help Dave. THIS kind of bullshit posting is NOT what I am going to spend my free time doing. I, too, like the rest of you, have a real life, have a real job, a family, and don't want to sit around with my thumb up my butt. We will get things in order, things will progress. Bernd and Dave are working on a site and logo, another member is building 3D models for the finished product, Dave is finallizing graphics and interface design, and I'm trying to make heads-or-tails out of everyone's questions, comments, and complaints. I don't mind answering questions. But, this kind of antagonism is not welcome at all. If you have a complaint about something, state it nicely...and drop the asinine sarcasm.

Dave is the creator of this project. I am simply trying to organize things. Yes, the emails are out of control. I have repeatedly asked to minimize the email, and to post only in this thread. I also wanted a totally seperate Forum, where multiple threads could be used to respond to the various issues. I have done my best to allocate skills, but I still have no idea who half of the people are here or what they can do. Again, I have a life, I work 50 hours or so a week, I am newly married, and don't have time for this, to be quite honest.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this "XO" position afterall...I have no patience for this sort of exchange, it is absurd and a complete waste of my time.

So, tell me exactly what you want, Shik. Progress? Be patient, move your stuff, plug up your new house's electricity, and, when you come back in a week or two, maybe we will have decided on what our logo looks like. This kind of project will take time, it all depends on how much spare time each of us can squeeze out of our daily lives to work on this.

-Lance

------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik:
This may all be due to a simple misunderstanding...

1) The deck plans (mark 1 - mod 0) have been posted for all nit-pickers to review. That is the task which I hope everyone is spending there main time on. The "emblem/logo" is a recreational (or if you will: trivial) - "time away from the office" sort of thing. So you are right - there is work to be done - but it is available.

2) I am (hopefully) not the only creative person in the group. Although this group started as a nit-picker/proofreading group for me - it seems to be evolving into several creative persons with their own projects - which may also see commercial or at least public publication. So you are right here too.

3) Team: I think one of Shik's beefs (assuming he knew that the plans were posted) is that there hasn't been much in the way of results yet on the nitpicking. That is not a real problem for me yet (I just did some major corrections, which I will forward to Lance today). Like him, I hope that those persons who volunteered for n/p duty did so because they actually wanted to hunt over every square meter of deck & detail, not just because it would get them a sneak peek at a new Trek product. Like Shik, I have no time to deal with the latter - this team is for people who produce.

4) Shik, you are a producer. PLEASE don't quit before we have a chance to shakedown the team - I think you are an essential element. If we have to cull a few non-producing members in the next few months, we will.

5) Team: Don't forget, the logo is recreation - not the job at hand. That said, I'll still be posting another one (based on Shik's suggestions). Anyone else who has graphical talent is encouraged to do the same.

2of28

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lance:
You're doing just fine buddy...

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

Thanks, Dave.

Sorry if I was to harsh, Shik.

Lance

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid electric company...give ME the runaround, will they?!?

Dave: thanks for the egostroke, even though it really wasn't necessary.

OK, so we're nitting the plans. Alright. That's a focus. In the past few weeks, so many variant concepts have come up including but not limited to:

• a VRML tour of the ship

• a CD-ROM tech manual

• a website of all things technical

You see where confusion leads to here.

Lance: you ARE doing a wonderful job. Don't get me wrong on that. Nothing of what I've said is personal; this is business. I understand your strains as well--I've been doing 60-hour weeks at work, and I'm not even a manager.

I spent 2 years working on a local political campaign; that's the mindset with which I've been approaching this project. It's hectic. It's stressed. It's a lot of late nights for a measly $300-600--total, for something like 8 months of work. But through all the bitching, infighting, personnel problems, blitzes, & whatnot, at the end of the campaign, you feel fantastic even if you didn't win.

And now a word for everyone. Most of you who've been around for a while have heard me talking in somewhat odd terms; the words "soulbonds," "triad," & "universal flow" have been used heavily. Over the past 9 months or so, my relationship with the universe has changed drastically, and there have been significant changes and effects from that relationship. One of the more major one is that I've realized that I've been soulbonding. a lot. So when you talk to me, you're also possibly going to be dealing with any one of about 14 different personalities. (maybe 15 now--I've been hearing Tyler Durden a LOT lately) Up there? That was Faera Thalev, an Andorian command officer. That alone should kind of make you as Trek fans go, "Ohhhhhh..."

What I'm getting at here is that there's a certain innate sense of "having the universe's ear" and that's coming through a lot more, especially in major projects like writing or webwork...or this. If it helps, I've actually got the soulbonds listed on my site, the Chrous Majora & Chorus Minora...if you want to be able to point to remarks and say, "Oh, that's Brynja" or "That sounds like Galen."

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited March 21, 2001).]

TonyB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings fellow shipmates,

My name is Tony. I am new to the Forums and recently decided to stop lurking in the background. I'm interested in being part of this collaboration, if there is room for 1 more.

As far as what I can offer let's see. My background in in Engineering, but I'm very creative. I'm currently in art school. I have excellent visual thinking, drawing and illustration skills. I've spent a lot of my time designing fed. starships & thinking about starship design. It's one of my favorite hobbies,and I'm pretty passionate about it. (I've already had some interesting conversations with Bernd.)

In the real world, I have excellent organizational skills which may be of help. While I do know Autocad, I have not used any of the 2-D or 3-D drawing programs (yet). But I'm a fast learner.

So I would welcome working (& having fun) with all of you. One caveat: Just like someone else posted in this thread, I do have a full life managing work/life/partner/pick-something-to-put-here
just like the rest of you. But I'm willing to work on things consistently over time.

So let me know.
Regards,
tony

IP: Logged
danellis
Ex-Member

May be slightly late, but I started writing this last night before someone else needed the phone:

Re: motto;
could "Eternal vigilance is the price of peace" be suitble?

Another pos, would be something around (or from) "dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori" (irt is fit and honourable to die for one's country) - but unlilely.

"Man has become great through trouble?"

"We shall not go quietly into that night" you prolly know the full poem better than me....

What does the current motto translate to?

as for the logo design:
everybody else has said it, I might as well - "too cluttered." And too specific, the ship shown is a Prommie. IvMHO we either have to use an Intrepid (the specific task of the group) or an older ship (Daedalus, Connie or Excelsior)

For location, anyone considered Clyde Bank?

------------------
"By Golly Jim, I'm begining to think I can cure a rainy day"

"You Can't Win untill you're not afraid to lose"

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

A fun (certainly) twist on the logo might be to use the Intrepid/spacedock image until that product has been made available to the public. Then replace it with whatever starship design winds up next on the hit list.

I do agree with Neutron regarding the general nature of a logo.

IMO, there are too many words on the logo. I suggest using "Strategic Design & Tactical" as is. Motto on bottom as is (by the way, how does that translate?). No words at all should overlap the station graphics.

Perhaps below the logo we could say: "A Division of Starfleet R & D". This would accompany the logo for final presentation, but not be part of it.

------------------
Purrr...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick Q:

David, you've got the brig on those blueprints, right?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been looking for them too... Unto the present, I thought I hadn't been looking close enough yet.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps