Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Strategic Design and Tactical Group (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Strategic Design and Tactical Group
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ad astra, in omnia paratus"

Or just the latter clause, but I like the idea of this following on to the Academy's motto...

Regarding the "clunkiness" of the name, I reconciled it as being two closely-working branches of one office. One cannot formulate an effective strategy without knowing the tactical capabilities of one's ships and crews. Likewise, one cannot execute effective tactics without knowing where one stands in the large scheme of things.

Only quesiton now is: is this a part of Starfleet (maybe the "Starfleet Tactical" referred to from time to time), or is it an office within the Federation government that works alongside, but is not answerable to, Starfleet?

As for the logo, six sides works, but rotate it so it has the same orientation as the department logos from the refit Enterprise (point at top, rather than side at top). For the field, try the tactical plot of the Phoenix vs. the Cardies from "The Wounded"...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik:
I don't ego-stroke. Trust me - or ask my ex-wife. If I give a compliment, it's deserved.

Other Team Members:

"Then replace it with whatever starship design winds up next on the hit list"

Brilliant. I'll give it some think.

"Strategic Design & Tactical"
"A Division of Starfleet R & D"

Also consider.

Yes - in the secondary hull - I'll post the exact location when I get time to look.
"Only quesiton now is: is this a part of Starfleet (maybe the "Starfleet Tactical" referred to from time to time), or is it an office within the Federation government that works alongside, but is not answerable to, Starfleet?"

I think of this as a think-tank to research & develop new ideas: ship designs, bridge layouts (somebody who will remain nameless should be happy...), weapons & defense system upgrades, tactics, etc. It is not Starfleet Tactical - all they do is try to figure out what needs to be done - not how to do it. Definitely Starfleet (albeit with civilian contractors/consultants alongside).

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep reading in posts that the Voyager Bridge Module (by which I take it you mean just deck 1, not decks 1 & 2) can separate and fly independently. Is this canon? What is the source? I've never heard about it. I know that all bridges on starships are detachable modules, which can be swapped in drydock (ST:TM), but I never heard about it being an independent spacecraft.

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only problem so far is that it's DAMN hard to read these things. They're fragging HUGE & completely non-printable.

Could someone possibly take it upon themselves to "cut it up" into 15 separate deck images for easier examination? I want to examine the stats & the "room codes" as well, but those are difficult to read too.

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Good point Shik.

Actually, as I told Lance, I am re-posting the deck plans - as Mark 1 - Mod 2 - sometime today or tomoirrow. It will have all the changes and suggestions (which I agree to) to date. In addition, I may have specific questions to the group about various portions of the plans - possibly coloring these areas differently.

At this time, I think I will forgo backgrounds entirely, and will either make them deck by deck, or fewer decks per sheet.

As per resolution, I am torn between high-rez (easier to see detail but far easier to post), and low-rez (impractical to print or pirate). I'm sure you see the quandry. As is, if we go any higher in rez, distribution becomes rather difficult - but I'll see what I can do.

By the way folks, the main changes so far are:
- quarters no longer have crawlspaces between rows
- all labs now reflect the superb screenshot found by Mark

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, it is still too photographic, but maybe it's better to have a big depiction than many small ships floating around. I also suggest to fill all six sides of the hexagon, as it was mentioned. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/temp/schmidt/emblem2a.jpg
A Latin motto would be fine, I conceived still another one without "war" in it. The arrowhead, well, I like it and I felt something like a symbol was missing. Maybe it could be modified in a specific way for the SDTG?

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Nice One. Mine will follow (I'm editing the deck plans right now).

------------------

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Group,

After careful considerating, I have elected to bow out of the group as the XO. I simply do not have the time to read through all the emails, organize things, and construct posts/emails/web pages on a daily basis. Today I had over fifty emails to read, and two pages in the forum. I literally work ten hours a day at my store (I manage a drug store), and, when I get home, my wife and I like to sit and relax together. This project is going to take dedication and concentration, the likes of which I am unwilling to contribute.

I would love to stay on as a nitpicker. Dave, I would love to help you in any way I can. I can say, without sounding to much like a ham, that I quite near worship your work. As a Trekker, my entire teenage and adult life has been devoted to collecting quality starship resource books, reading Star Trek books and materials, and watching the show on a near religious basis. Star Trek is, and always has been, my only hobby. I'm a geek to the core. Not the sort that puts on Spock ears and goes to conventions...I have to much class for that, but, I am the type that, sitting here in my den, have blueprints, manuals, magazines, photocopies, scans, and a hard-disk full of Federation Starship images!

However, in recent years, especially since I met Amy, I haven't the time nor the desire to sift through any more serious projects. My web site is only updated monthly, and, I have no future projects outlined for it, either.

I would sincerely love to step down and let someone with more time and a greater desire to contribute take over my position.

I would like Shik or Bernd to fill my place. Bernd can easily construct fancy, impressive web pages over night. Shik has the desire and motivation to get things done.

Please consider this my resignation, and I urge you not to beg me to reconsider. I will, of course, visit the forum and read over the emails daily, but my contribution would be better suited testing the future CD-ROM, web sites, and proof reading the blueprints.

Thanks so much for putting so much faith in my abilities.

Sincerely,

Lance

------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

D-S
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: Logo looks great

Dave: I have also heard about the bidge module being srlf propelld I think it could have been mentione din the fact files, Ill find out.

IP: Logged
danellis
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IT's prolly from a line in the TNGTM, which mentioned that a self-propulsing bridge module was used in the early flight-worthiness tests of (I can't remember if it was Galaxy or Enterprise).

------------------
"By Golly Jim, I'm begining to think I can cure a rainy day"

"You Can't Win untill you're not afraid to lose"

IP: Logged
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logo is better. I'd prefer some other ship than the Intrepid. And I rather DO like my motto -- or at least the latter part of it ("in omnia paratus" translates as "ready for anything"). The arrowhead shouldn't have the starburst in it. That detail hasn't been used since somewhere between 2344 and 2349 -- twenty-five to thirty years.

No reactions to my suggestion for the main field of the logo? The tactical plot from the Enterprise's viewscreen in "The Wounded"? Just as the Cardassian warship is destroyed... A good demonstration of both well-designed ship and effective tactice in a single frame...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding my vote for "Ready for Anything" as the slogan. Way cooler than "Knowledge for Defence".

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Illogical. Why would a design team be "ready for anything?" If you're hellbent on Latin, this one has his own moronic suggestion.

I had a friend in the Navy who was involved in grey ops out of the old Subic Bay base in the Philippines. The unit had decided that they, too, deserved a patch, but because of the fairly secret nature of their work, they couldn't really show any imagery.

The final result was a circular patch that was pure black; around the edges in red lettering was the phrase "Si ego certiorum, tu mihi delendum eris"--loosely translated, "If I told you, I'd have to kill you."

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's cool.

------------------
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name... Enterprise"
- Alternate Picard, "Yesterday's Enterprise"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to disagree. As a recognized Federation/Starfleet agency, I wouldn't feel comfy with words like war, death, kill, etc.. in the slogan. It's cool, but IMO it's not trek.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps