Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » If you could get Paramount to CGI a model... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: If you could get Paramount to CGI a model...
Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, I have a ton of shots of the Enterprise model (and a few of the D7) that I'd be happy share with everyone. They're not as pretty, but they show off every damn detail of the model!

Anyone interested? I can send them to Dax. Maybe I'll just give them to Astris Scientia (or whatever that name is) by way of saying thanks for all the great help they've been.

Anyone know the guy who runs it?

MOjo

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be one Bernd Schneider. Rattle a cow bell or proclaim how beautiful the NX-01 looks and he'll show up here within a moment.

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll speed things along. His address: [email protected]
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be more than happy to receive any more pictures/photos you have, Mojo. Thanks again for the earlier images.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
By the way, I have a ton of shots of the Enterprise model (and a few of the D7) that I'd be happy share with everyone. They're not as pretty, but they show off every damn detail of the model!

I heard there were images of little people in some of the windows...were yu able to identify any, if they were still there?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any people in the windows had long since vacated by the time WE got the model!

Mojo

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity, Mojo... Is it hideously difficult to do "paint jobs" on completed models? Pennants, streamers, that sort of stuff?

What I mean is, real-world navies tend to change their pennant styles every now and then, and real-world ships get repainted so often that the new styles are typically also introduced on older ships. It would be nice if Starfleet did that to a degree as well (even if starships don't need repainting quite that often).

The Mirandas have those stylish red stripes surrounding the pennant lettering, something the otherwise similar Constitution and Constellation paint jobs don't have. What if some newer Constitutions actually got that type of decoration? What if some had blue-and-gold lines, or a newish Excelsior had the hull colors of a Galaxy? What if flagships carried special heraldry? None of this would show in the long-distance shots of the TV episodes, so we could claim this variety was always there...

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree, that Defiant looks just like a physical model. There's absolutely nothing to suggest it's CGI. Nice one. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet Dreamy Lola. Very yummy. The Deffie model is awesome and the shots you took of the E-A are just beautiful.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing whatever you have of the D-7. Or anything else.

As you know, I'm a huge fan of behind-the-scenes stuff when it comes to the creative process, so any little tidbits or anecdotes you have to share in that area are also always fun to read.

You da man, Mojo.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts exactly. Mojo, you call this Deffie unfinished? That's really hard to believe. How can you possibly improve that one even further?

And count me in on the "I love every little behind-the-scenes tidbit" faction!

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] WOW!

Great work, Mojo! Are you sure this isn't a picture of a new secret NASA test-vehicle?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to change my pants.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH WOW! Mojo, congratulations - you have the title holder (in my book) of the first person to create a CGI object that looks PHYSICAL.

(I've got one EXCEPT... the glow on the back of the nacelles - more the right one - it could be cause it's against a black background!?! Maybe it's because it's obscuring/whiting over that little pylon in the middle of the grill area too much!?! I don't know!!)

FANTABULOUS!! Are you going to light the little "impulse" ports - the little aft circles - we see them red.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, very very impressive. An absolutely fantastic job.

Do the cloak emmitters have that pink glow to them? I don't recall ever seeing it.

And isn't there some sort of grill work behind the blue glow? Some sort of lattice texturing, I believe?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cloak emitters? I believe we saw in "Valiant" that those were escape pods, didn't we?

And perhaps the credit for the "first person to make a CGI model that looks real" should go to Andrew Bradbury, the guy who apparently modelled it.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps