Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Let's Answer the Wolf 359 Questions! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Let's Answer the Wolf 359 Questions!
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to my mind there is no way that one of the forty was a Galaxy class vessel. i think that they would have mentioned it in the episode if there was one: "my god, our sister ship the USS SOANDSO. all those families.". this was still back when there were few federation ships shown on the screen, and the Galaxy class always had a big deal made about it. also, considering that the Galaxy class is meant to operate on the rim of the federation and beyond, i seriously doubt that one would have been present so close to Sol (there is no indication that any Galaxy class except for the Enterprise ever had to abandon exploration in order to shuttle ambassadors around and keep the klingon empire from falling apart).

about the Defiant's phasers, somethinng tells me that there is more to them than just fast firing. was it the DS9 Tech Manual or Star Trek: the Magazine that talked about the phasers blasts being different layers, each with a different frequency? also, as was mentioned, only the Big-E was seen firing quantums.

--jacob

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...
USS Endeavour: NCC-71805
USS Yamato: NCC-71807 (This is not meant to stir up the Yamato registry debate again)

--------------------
Meh

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not on this thread you don't, if you don't wanna get pounded on a little bit. [Smile]

Let's talk about Earth. While the cube was in orbit, would you imagine people rioting and panicking in the streets? Rushing to grab every phaser, tommy gun or pointed stick available? Rushing to hop aboard every available ship?

I imagine a combination of everything. I dunno if the Federation council would try to evacuate, though...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, would someone watch 'Court-Martial' for once before opening their mouths? While I am of course not 100% sure because I dont have the ep right now, I'm pretty sure Kirk says '.. the Republic' and the computer interrupts 'clarify term 'republic'' and then Kirk says 'U.S.S. Republic, Constitution-class, NCC-1371' This is why we know its class and registry, which is not at all uncertain because he explicitly stated it.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must... not... get into debate... about likelyhood of... many GCS...

Really though, with could billion people on Earth, you wouldn't know where to begin if you tried to evacuate. Just the women and children would be overwhelming.

I continue to support the theory that during the Borg incursion, there was a lot of "kissing your butt goodbye", and I believe this is one of those cases.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Known Galaxy-Class ships in supposed order of construction:

U.S.S. GALAXY NCC-70637
U.S.S. CHALLENGER NCC-71099
U.S.S. >UNKNOWN< NCC-71564
U.S.S. YAMATO NCC-71807
U.S.S. ENTERPRISE NCC-1701 D
U.S.S. ODYSSEY NCC-71832
U.S.S. VENTURE NCC-71854
U.S.S. TRINCULO NCC-71867

All exept the Yamato are known to have been around after Wolf-359, so it can't be any of these.

I'm not against one being at Wolf-359, but...why exactly does there have to be one?

I guess if it was a hull that was rushed out of Utopia Planitia with only the secondary hull finished, then you should have an easier time distinguishing it from the E-D...and if it is to be destroyed, it would negate the need for yet another new name, assuming you belive that most ships aren't named until they are completed.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! Ooh! Remember that the New Providence colony was scooped up, presumably with all 900 of its inhabitants. Seeing as how the Borg didn't just outright destroy the place, we can probably assume that there could be up to 900 new drones on that cube! Where were they? What would happen to the site of New providence colony after "BoBW"?

Mark

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again with the Trinculo nonsense. Certainly never been onscreen, considering the GCS physical model hasn't been used since appearing as the Venture. And the CGI model was blank until appearing as the Galaxy in Tears of the Prophets and then as the Challenger in Timeless.

It's been suggested that the 6 "extra" hulls alluded to in the TNGTM would have had lower registries than the Yamato because they were shipped out partially finished to the fleet lockbox orbiting Gore VII before Yamato was commissioned, and that the Challenger therefore belonged to this crew. Of course, this ultimately descends into a registry numbers are sequential according to batch/order/construction-start/commisioning debate, so let's steer clear. In any case, I think its generally-accepted that the Odyssey was one of the original six. The Venture could have been. So, again, there's a very slim chance of a Galaxy being at W359.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CaptainMike's comment about the Republic sounds good - except for the fact that minor wars have been fought on the issue of whether the words "Constitution class" were ever uttered in TOS, and the side saying "yes" has always left the battlefield bloodied and beaten.

I'm sure that "Court Martial" does give the registry of the ship (either as NCC-1371 or as just 1371), but I'm also pretty sure the class of the ship is NOT mentioned there. Otherwise, the bodies of the "naysayers" would cover the battlefield in the said wars.

Timo Saloniemi

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Timo ]

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the input and reg numbers, guys! I'll have to give you all credit under "Research" in the book!

Since I have a model of a Galaxy Class starship still under construction (from "Relativity"), I'm going to say that's the ship that was at Wolf 359. I believe they emptied anything that could fly out of Utopia Planitia, and I'm in love with the image of a not-quite-finished Galaxy Class ship, with panels missing and no reg painted yet, heading off to battle.

I don't believe there would have been mass panic on Earth. After the fleet was decimated, I think people would have been in shock, quietly preparing for the end. Something like the church scene in "War of the Worlds."

They know there is physically nothing they can do to stop it... the only thing left is prayer and saying goodbye to one another.

Mojo

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
I don't believe there would have been mass panic on Earth. After the fleet was decimated, I think people would have been in shock, quietly preparing for the end. Something like the church scene in "War of the Worlds." They know there is physically nothing they can do to stop it... the only thing left is prayer and saying goodbye to one another.

I have a hard time seeing x.y billion people (where x>=8) simply laying down & saying, "Oh, well, Percy...looks like this might be the end. Say, would you hand me the kettle? I wish to have tea & meet the end as a British man." I see them being more like humanity versus the Minbari in "In The Beginning"--knowing they'll die but making them pay for every inch. Then you get people like me who'd be going around having as much sex as possible using the line of "Hey...you might survive..& then you'd need to repopulate the species, wouldn't you?"

quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
Thanks for all the input and reg numbers, guys! I'll have to give you all credit under "Research" in the book!

great! My second piece of street cred! Woo!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm sure that "Court Martial" does give the registry of the ship (either
as NCC-1371 or as just 1371), but I'm also pretty sure the class of the
ship is NOT mentioned there. Otherwise, the bodies of the "naysayers"
would cover the battlefield in the said wars.

From the episode:

Computer: "Ship...nomenclature...specify."

Kirk: "United Starship Republic...number 1371."

No mention of either class or NCC. Awaiting incoming salvo. [Smile]

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:

I have a hard time seeing x.y billion people (where x>=8) simply laying down & saying, "Oh, well, Percy...looks like this might be the end. Say, would you hand me the kettle? I wish to have tea & meet the end as a British man." I see them being more like humanity versus the Minbari in "In The Beginning"--knowing they'll die but making them pay for every inch. Then you get people like me who'd be going around having as much sex as possible using the line of "Hey...you might survive..& then you'd need to repopulate the species, wouldn't you?"

I also think that the human race wouldn't be total pushovers, but "In the Beginning" is one way to show that the huddling and the hopeless defiance can happen at the same time. However, remember that at this time humans are known to be fairly complacent, collectively living in utopia for decades.

Mark

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they were that complacent, why do so many join Starfleet?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Complacent on average. Remember, humanity in the 24th cetury on the whole is supposed to have the main goal of self-amelioration - improving themselves spiritually or intellectually, since most physical needs had been removed. To me, what this means is that Earth is one big party with people not caring for much other than hanging out in French bars, or Creole kitchens, or going into whatever intellectual endeavours they want to.

For a fraction of the population, their desire is for exploration or adventure, so off to Starfleet they go. But standards can lapse rom time to time, as we see from people like Barclay and Voyager's "Good Shepherd Gang". Still, if even only a fraction of one percent of the human race wants to go into Starfleet, that still results in millions of prospective candidates for the Academy.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps