Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Let's Answer the Wolf 359 Questions! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Let's Answer the Wolf 359 Questions!
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i REALLY REALLY dislike having a GCS at wolf 359. as i said, i don't think they would have missed mentioning it in the episode if one had been among the wreckage.

--jacob

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Unless it had been totally destroyed like the Saratoga... Plus, it's not like Shelby was looking at *all* the hulks in the graveyard. Nor I think would they let Shelby just go on listing all the ships there even if she'd had the chance!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yar says so in "Yesterday's Enterprise".
Yar also says the ship can carry 4,000 troops.
And Yar says the ship is the *FIRST* Galaxy-Class starship (NOT the second). In other words, the YE Enterprise is the real-reality's Galaxy.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in the alternate timeline, the Enterprise came first.

Of course, in an alternate timeline, I'm not a virgin and own a red 1989 Buick Skyhawk. But I live in this timeline, so what's it matter

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, no GCS at Wolf 359, please, Mojo.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is this NCC-71564 ship?

Here's all the Galaxies I know of:

-U.S.S. Challenger NCC-71099 ("Timeless" [VGR])

-U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D (TNG, Generations, "Emissary" [DS9])

-U.S.S. Galaxy NCC-70637, formerly NX-70637 (TNG Tech Manual, "Tears of the Prophets" [VGR])

-U.S.S. Magellan ("Sacrifice of Angels" [DS9])

-U.S.S. Odyssey NCC-71832 ("The Jem'Hadar" [DS9])

-U.S.S. Trinculo NCC-71867 (Studio model seen on display at exhibitions, possible appearances in either "Sacrifice of Angels" [DS9] or "Tears of the Prophets" [DS9])

-U.S.S. Venture NCC-71854 ("The Way of the Warrior" [DS9], "Sacrifice of Angels" [DS9], "Tears of the Prophets" [DS9])

-U.S.S. Yamato NCC-71807, formerly NCC-1305-E ("Where Silence Has Lease" [TNG], "Contagion" [TNG])

There's also that wierd NCC-70564 from the TNG Calendar that we never did figure out the name of. (*hint hint, Mojo...* [Smile] ) But I've never heard of this NCC-71564. Anyone care to enlighten me?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snay: I see no reason why the normal Ent-D couldn't also carry 4000 troops. After all, the class is meant to have a 15,000 person evac limit. And of course, the alternate D has the same volume as ours.

And doesn't saying "She was the first Galaxy-class ship built" naturally imply she was the first after the USS Galaxy? Yar didn't say Enterprise-class.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Dax ]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMoM: There's no solid evidence making the Magellan a Galaxy other than people's hunches. The Galaxies in SoA were all apparently CGI with no registries on them (although it would be interesting to know whether Digital Muse or VisionArt scratch-built a new CGI model or reused ILM's from Generations. Mojo, any insights?) If they were scratch-built, then we can assume the CGI model was naked until it served as the USS Galaxy in TotP and then as the Challenger in Timeless.

We've heard several times that the battles in SoA and TotP were all-CGI, so there goes that Trinculo theory. I think the most likely explanation is that somebody just wanted to give the 4-foot GCS model a new name when it went out on tour. Weren't the phaser strips on the nacelles (that were holdovers from the AGT refurbishing) pulled off it? That seems like proof enough that it was brought into the shop after "playing" the Venture where an arbitrary name-change might have happened.

Oh, and to nitpick, the Odyssey was NCC 71832.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dax, I believe the line spoken was "first of her class" or something along those lines. So it seems to reason that Starfleet re-named the Galaxy as the Enterprise, perhaps for morale purposes.

Also, Yar's comments about the troops seems to imply that the ship is specificly geared to carry a crew complement of probably close to 5,000 (figuring for a larger amount of crew then the "real" E-D). While the "real" E-D could carry that many in an emergency, the YE E-D probably has a lot more barracks, crew lounges, and training centers (and drop ships!) then our E-D. So we're talking about a completely different interior design here ... (something backed up by the numerous extras seen in every scene ... we NEVER see that many people in 10-Forward!)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Sisko said something like "The Magellan and the Venture are in too tight" and then in the next scene we saw two Galaxies firing on ships. I think that's where the Magellan/Galaxy theory comes in. If not, then it is a Constellation, according to the Encyclopedia.

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snay: No, Yar most definitely called her ship Galaxy-class. I'm pretty sure my quote is spot on, and I can't be bothered checking my tape for confirmation right now.

As for 10-fwd, we did see that many people there in Generations. I do agree though that the internal arrangemeant of the alternate D would be a little different. They probably have 3 or 4 crew per quarters rather than the usual 1 or 2.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to BOBW script's set list, Admiral Hanson's bridge and ready room scenes would've been on a Galaxy-class starship. However, the purpose of this note was to indicate which sets should be used, so it really could've been any ship.

While the Defiant may have been a part of "every admiral's uncle" ideas, and while we know that Starfleet "began exploring the possibility" of building the Defiant back then, Shelby makes it clear that in 2366, priority was given to developing new weapons systems and a defensive strategy using existing ships. After all, they must have known the Borg were coming in two years at the most, so why waste time developing a new starship class?

After Wolf 359, however, the Defiant would've been given the priority, considering that the public and official opinion probably resembled the aftermath of September 11.

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most importantly though, is that Hanson's scenes didnt end up getting shot on the Galaxy bridge.. he got a couple monitors and a railing behind him as i recall

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most specifically, his "battle" scenes were shot in front of a wall with generic greeblies on it (possibly the transporter room side wall unit), a railing similar to that seen on the old battle bridge, and a "Red Alert" flashy as seen on the TOS movie-era ships. This indicates that not only was he not on a Galaxy-class ship, but on nothing of the era. My opinion is that he was on the battle bridge or aux control of some Excelsior-class starship (probably whichever ship he visited the Enterprise with), directing the battle from there while the ship's Captain tried to keep his ship in one piece long enough.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
Member # 709

Yes.. the very necessary room that is called the Combat Information Center in today's navy (And there was one of those on the Yesterday's Ent E-D, i heard it a lot in announcements in 10-fwd).. I think in the navy whenever a ship goes to alert the executive officer goes to the CIC and the captain goes to the bridge to ensure theyre both not in the same place.

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps