Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Norway (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Norway
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one;

while analysing the structure of the Norway-class for the next schematic, I thought about the purpose of that vessel. What does starfleet do with the Norway?

Facts:
- Rarely seen, but I don't buy the 'prototype-testbed'-theory
- Obviously a forward-firing phaser-cannon only, but I don't buy the 'diplomatic clipper'-theory
- The armor seems to be Defiant-like
- It seems starfleet invited the same freak who painted this one again to do the Medusa and Elkins - in other words: Why does it appear to be grey-brown?
- Pretty small, judging by the windows the ship seems to be less than 200 meters.
- What's that for a funky box-collection behind the bridge? Could it be the emergency-shuttlebay exit, like the Galaxy's? Some CGI-models have a shuttlebay at the rear end of the saucer, below the two phylons.

And how old is it? At least the Steamrunner seems to predate the Cardassian war with the 52xxx-number. Could the Norway be another pre-war design? I found an interesting footnote in the Bridge Commander Manual; the Galor-class wasment to be the answer to the federation Excelsior-, New Orleans-, Miranda- and Norway-classes. This indicates the ship could be older than we thought. (You can say what you want, but I concider Bridge Commander canon. Besides the game, the information given in the manual is better than everything I have seen, well-researched and can stand the Encyclopedia in any way. Furthermore, it gives us some more starship names. [Wink] )

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's a phylon?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah,
the Norway doesn't seem to have any phaser banks at all[old or new strips]

quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
I found an interesting footnote in the Bridge Commander Manual; the Galor-class wasment to be the answer to the federation Excelsior-, New Orleans-, Miranda- and Norway-classes. This indicates the ship could be older than we thought. )

I wonder what does BC imply by this?
Are they saying Excel, Miranda, New Orleans, and Norway are all ships from the same time period?
Or that they all serve the same purpose?

Hardly likely since New Orleans is a frigate[what ever that means in trek unviverse] and an Excel is hardly equivilant to a Miranda.

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
What's a phylon?

A typo. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Amasov, do you have a good list of the ships mentioned/seen in the game.. im always expanding the Galactopedia

[ooh.. .. i just found the website.. good stuff here.. do you have .. dareisayit.. registry numbers, hmm!?]

[ March 31, 2002, 10:13: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Rarely seen"

First Contact only, so it's really "Seen Once", I think.

CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always considered the Norway as a fast courier or a sensor ship dedicated to finding cloaked vessels. Thats what i think those unknown things behind the bridge.
IP: Logged
Amasov Prime
Member # 742

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Captain Amasov, do you have a good list of the ships mentioned/seen in the game.. im always expanding the Galactopedia

[ooh.. .. i just found the website.. good stuff here.. do you have .. dareisayit.. registry numbers, hmm!?]

What page was it? Besides the information given in the manual, they also list all ships stationed in the Maelstrom. I haven't completed the game yet, but it seems you'll enconter all of them. The manual only gives the registry for one of those ships besides the Dautless/Sovereign, the Kithomer, but the others have unique hull markings in the game, too. I'll check that soon. For now, this is the complete list of ships (besides this, there are also some ships mentioned in the personal bios of each character and the Galaxy and Sovereign are analyzed, revealing some interesting data):

Galaxy:
-Dauntless (NCC-71879) - Cpt. Robert Wright (KIA), Venture (NCC-71854) - Cpt. Benjamin Dawson, San Francisco - Cpt. Eina Zeiss

Nebula:
-Berkley - Cpt. Elizabeth Haley, Nightingale - Cpt. Nandi Jadeja, Kithomer (NCC-71906) - Cpt. Jae Yi

Ambassador:
-Zhukov (NCC-26136) - Cpt. Milus Verata, Excalibur (NCC-26517) - Cpt. William Morrison

Akira:
-Devore - Cpt. Joshua Martin, Geronimo - Cpt. Gregory MacCray

Sovereign:
-Sovereign (NX-73811) - Captain Jonathan Soto (the guy was replaced by me, don't know what happened to him), Enterprise (NCC-1701-E) - Cpt. James Kirk [Big Grin]

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
non-canonically, the novel "Ship of the Line" shares Alabin's train of thought, suggesting that the Norway is a 'border cutter' a ship designed to patrol and defend the far reach of Federation space. (Captain Bateson likened the design of the new Norway-class Bozeman to the purpose of the orginal, a Soyuz-class border cutter.. this (mission purpose) is the same type of ship that Ships of the Star Fleet calls a 'Perimeter Action Vessel'.. a 'tightly wound' 'rig' (Carey's words) designed to be small, operate independantly with a small crew, have enhanced sensors for long-range policing, have enhanced tractors and docks for towing and boarding, and pack a punch as a combatant in its troubleshooter role.

BTW, the site i found was http://www.bcuniverse.com/encyclopedia.php in http://www.bcuniverse.com/ upon perusing it more, i realize it must be incomplete compared to where you are getting those entries (the game itself)

[ March 31, 2002, 11:00: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

I think that sounds similar to those Akyazi-class ships (and their subclasses), from a non-canon source. But I think they are quite poopular though.

Interesting nontheless, the purpose of the Soyuz class has never been revealed. Or the fact why the class went out of service while her sister-class remained in service for another century.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Ship of the Line, there's no mention at all of a Norway-Class ship. I have it right here. The new Bozeman II is a destroyer, that's it.
capped
Member # 709

I do like Carey's 'border cutter' explanation for the Soyuz.. the extra attachments are tractor/tracking/docking/boarding equipment for tracking and towing vessels along the border. And she posits they went out of service, simply because they were all refits of Mirandas and therefore not a 'new-build' class that was going to continue being ordered..

and the Akyazi-class is the very class i was mentioning: its the Perimeter Action Vessel from 'Ships of the Starfleet'

buh? i couldve sworn that Carey mentioned the class.. ive been misled again.. dagnabit!

[ March 31, 2002, 11:20: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

OK, here's some more information, coming right from the dragon's cave; these are the numbers of the ships, I got them from the texture files ('//Activision/Bridge Commander/data/models/ships/' and '//shared textures/', for anyone who wants to check it):

Akira:
Devore: NCC-64088
Geronimo: NCC-69302

Ambassador:
Excalibur: NCC-26517
Zhukov: NCC-26136 (interesting fact... they corrected the error from the physical model)

Nebula:
Berkley: NCC-64720
Kithomer: NCC-66613 (contrary to what was said in the manual, obviously an error)
Nightingale: NCC-60805
Prometheus: NCC-71201 (the ship appeared in the first mission, for now, but maybe it'll appear again at the end)

Sovereign:
Enterprise: NCC-1701-E
Sovereign: NX-73811

Galaxy:
Dauntless: NCC-71879
Venture: NCC-71854
San Francisco: NCC-69480 (oops; obviously another participant in my theroy about Nebula-parts used to produce Galaxys during the war faster. [Smile] )

That's it, hope I forgot none, but those are the textures I found.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Norway has been seen twice, actually. Once in First Contact, and once in Voyager, where it showed up on a wall display in the fake Starfleet headquarters.
Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Really? I haven't noticed that. Has the episode been released as DVD yet? [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps