Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Norway (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Norway
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that.

So, it proves that the Norway-Class was in service before 2371. [Big Grin]

[ March 31, 2002, 12:28: Message edited by: U//Magnus ]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Bridge Commander Manual:

• USS Dauntless / Galaxy / NCC-71879 - Captain Robert Wright (KIA)
  • USS Venture / Galaxy / NCC-71854 - Captain Benjamin Dawson San Francisco/Galaxy/ - Eina Zeiss
  • USS Khitomer / Nebula / NCC-71906 - Captain Jae Yi
  • USS Berkely / Nebula / ??? - Captain Elizabeth Haley Nightingale/Nebula/ - Nandi Jadeja
  • USS Zhukov / Ambassador - Captain Milus Verata
  • USS Excalibur / Ambassador - Captain William Morrison
  • USS Devore / Akira - Captain Joshua Martin
  • USS Geronimo / Akira - Captian Gregory MacCray
  • USS Sovereign / Sovereign / NX-73811 - Captain Jonathan Soto
  • USS Hawking - Science Vessel
  • USS Lionheart - Captain Thomas Wittbeck
  • USS Parsifal - Captain Lorena Damon
  • USS Arapaho - Captain Serchin Davas
  • USS Mohawk
  • USS Baltic - Captain Didier LaFleur
  • USS Strongbow - Captain Delia Messina

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the battle, seen in FC, there were two Norways. They both survived the battle.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Norway was also seen on that fleet chart in "Favor the Bold," I believe, behind Sisko and Admiral Ross. It's somewhere in the DS9 Technical Manual, towards the beginning.

--------------------
Meh

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bar in the Fake Starfleet grounds from Voyager was just a top view from the encyc along with a few other ships, and etched? on to what looks like a piece of aluminium or some sort of steel.

That is why I am looking forward to your post-Medusa Norway schematic Cap'n.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

grb2
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Norway: Its is apparent that this vessel is oddly shaped for a ship of its era, and does not have the phaser strips, life boat hatches, or even windows seen on most other ships of that era. I figure that Norway-class vessel is a Multi-Environment Explorer. Basically, a Norway will explore dangrous regions you wouldn't want to send a normal ship into, such as subspace ruptures, proto-star clusters, or anything else dangerous.

Its armor would be there to protect it from these extreme environments.

Why would the Galor be designed in response to it? Because it was used extensively to explore the Badlands. (I posted most of this in an earlier post).

That is what I think it is at least. Afterall, how many combat-oriented designs would a
pre-2370s Starflett have?

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly quite a few, given the wars w/ the Cardassians, Tholians, and Tzenkethi...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or possibly none, since everything we knew about starships (until the Defiant became the on-screen acknowledged exception to the rule) said that there was no such thing as a "combat-oriented" Starfleet vessel.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the "frigates" in "Conspiracy"?
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you one thing; the only person who did a worse work than the guy who textured the ship is the guy who draw the vessel for the encyclopedia. Allthough I have to admit he did the best possible with the worse material available (Can it be possible there is only one single shot available of that damn thing?!?), but there are some blatant errors. And the texture of the CG-model is awful. For example take a close look at the foreward section, where the bridge module is located. The lines of the hull armor or whatever it is are running up to the dome, over the connecting line and back down. And what the hell is the resolution of the texture sheet? 200x200 pixel?
The more I think of it, the more I think they let the model disappear for a reason. I'm just glad we never saw a close-up of this thing.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Norway looks like one of those shovel-nose sharks that swim along the sea floor. Maybe it was built for going into Nebulae!?! ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised by the relatively low quality of the Norway model. It was meant to fill out the background action, and was detailed just enough to look good on the big screen.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I seem to recall seeing some evidence once that the Steamrunner's textures aren't even properly aligned to the features on the ship model itself. But I don't know if that's true or not.
grb2
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i bet starfleet might indeed have a class they call a "frigate" to serve as a more heavily armed cruiser for support operations near Tzenkethi, Cardassian or Tholian space. But its still not a true "warship," its designed for support operations of the type a modern excelsior is assigned too, but probably with not all the exploratory equipment of excelsiors (they were originally starfleet's most advancd explorers). at least that would follow what seems to be starfleet's main role as en exploratory organization....
IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, as long as they don't have a starship type they would actually call "destroyer" or "battleship" or "demolisher" or "conqueror" or "mass murderer", they can quite nicely argue that their ships aren't warships. A "frigate" or a "cruiser" sounds innocuous enough, since there's nothing really warlike about cruising or, uh, frigging. ("What are those big phasers for, if this isn't a warship?" "Mmm, digging holes into asteroids?" "Oh, okay.")

As for the Norway, if she doesn't have phaser strips or torpedo tubes or portholes or lifeboats or shuttlebays, the most natural assumption IMHO would be that she's a transport vessel. Those won't need much in the way of windows or weapons, but a big featureless monobloc hull would be expected. And traditionally, Trek transports have looked quite unlike Trek warships, so the exotic appearance of the Norway would be nicely explained, too.

From what we saw, the Norways didn't play much of a role in the battle - only two of them there, and only one seen firing a weapon (which some claim must have been a superphaser, but I say it could have been a puny type IV beam just as well). Starfleet had Oberths in anti-Borg battles, too. Why not a large military transport or two?

Or, if one wants to pay attention to the variable-geometry nacelles but doesn't want to say this is an experimental vessel, one could say the Norway is a tug. Those would have to have reconfigurable warp fields in order to extend their fields over ships in tow. The longitudal booms to which the nacelle pylons are attached could also be some sort of rails for carrying cargo containers or barges. Ever see a real-world barge carrier? The Norway looks quite a bit like one.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps