Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Norway (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Norway
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the variable-geometry-issue grows to some sort of 'landing-debacle'. Since Voyager introduced it, every damn vessel in the fleet got the ability to land; look at the MSDs. Nova, Prometheus, Defiant, It's just strange E-E isn't able to land yet. So Voyager introduced the variable geometry nacelles. But that does not mean every ship from now on has them. Maybe those contuits are just that - conduits. Or Outdoor-Jeffries-tubes. Or some irrelevant spaceframe extensions. Or something else.

Okay, those could be variable geometry nacelles, there's no proof for either version of the story; but I don't see a reason why the ship should be able to move the nacelles. On the other hand I also never saw a reason for Intrepid's nacelles to be able to move their position. If the 'up'-position of the nacelles supports an optimized warpfield that does not damage subspace, they why do they have to lower them for impulse-flight? They don't need them, so it doesn't matter whether they are up or down.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And is it just more or have we seen more than one official drawing of the Norway with the nacelles shown further back and forward?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the "variable geometry" idea start out in the back of the TNGTM in regards to the Nova designs? Or am I imagining things again?
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, AndrewR, that pic you asked about is from my site actually:

http://www.stguardian.to/fed/norway/index.html

A scan I did from star trek:fact files

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark! You have!?! Well - I just avoid your posts [Wink] Nah, must be just great minds... [Wink]

Amazov WTF are you talking about?? [Smile] The Variable Geometry was brought in to stop ripping up sub-space or something - not about letting ships land.

I agree - why down for impulse and up for WAR and nothing in-between!?! My guess is that the nacelles actually are in varying positions within that movement arc... it's just that 1. We don't notice the difference or 2. We're back to the 'totally upright' again - when we next see it.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... variable geometry has nothing to do with preserving subspace integrity... or landing.

In fact nobody knows what the hell its for.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It always seemed to me quite reasonable to assume that Voyager's nacelles were constantly making micro-adjustments in their position all the way through a warp flight. There's no reason at all that we should notice them waving back and forth by a few centimeters, or even a few meters now and then.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that docking thrusters can't maneuver ships the way we've seen, and that the Laws of Physics prevent the forcefield theory some people had goin awhile back, ships must maneuver by some fashion other than we're aware of right now.

My guess is that they use a warp field even during impulse to change direction at sublight speeds. This is why the blue glue is their even when the ship is not at warp.

If this is the case, then slightly different principles might govern the warp field when it is at warp and when it is at impulse. These principles might say that one position is better for the nacelles below the threshold and one is better above it. Variable geometry might offer the best of both worlds.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that again... There's nothing wrong with the laws of physics being used to turn/reverse the thrust. Never mind whether you can explain it or not, it is an integral part of today's aerospace technology. Why wouldn't it be part of tomorrow's? (Barring unforeseeable practical limitations, that is. Somebody from the 19th century would undoubtedly wonder why all the world's shipping hasn't moved to balloons and airships, or why we still aren't building cannon big enough to deliver payloads to the Moon... Perhaps thrust reversing, although entirely possible, isn't the best possible method from the 24th century point of view.)

That said, the impulse engines of most starships aren't ideally placed for maneuvering that would obey the laws of physics. It seems wholly plausible that some other, Trek-specific technologies are being used in addition to simple impulse thrust. For example, asymmetric subspace fields or artificial gravity or those nifty mass reduction gadgets would all be fine maneuvering tools...

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Amazov WTF are you talking about?? [Smile] The Variable Geometry was brought in to stop ripping up sub-space or something - not about letting ships land.

Stop me! It's going all wrong! [Big Grin]
That was just a comparison. Every ship after Voyager got landing capability. And now we want to start assigning a variable geometry warp drive to every ship. There's no connection. Really. Just a comparison. [Smile]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If those moveable nacelles are true/people accept the idea - I have new respect for this little ship!!

Amasov any more views!?! (And please hopefully there wont be any BROWNS in your colour scheme! [Wink] )

Has anyone e-mail DD yet!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Ah heck... is grey, but the the saucer is brown. [Smile] Anyway, maybe I'll do a variant with proper starfleet colors. [Wink]

--------------------

Cassio
Member # 795

- posted      Profile for Cassio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an old 3d model made in Truespace 2, them converted him to 3D max. After some adjustments, I use the Illustrator plugin for 3D Max and made this blueprint:
[link to überhuge picture that was making the thread look like ass]

Today, I found these refs too:
http://starshipmodeler.org/gallery4/js_norway.htm

I think that now you can do a good job !

[ April 25, 2002, 11:27: Message edited by: TSN ]

--------------------
Brasil Starships
http://members.fortunecity.com/wendhausen

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dammit! Someone edit the link so the whole picture doesn't show up and then educate these people why they shouldn't be doing this!

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Cassio
Member # 795

- posted      Profile for Cassio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
Dammit! Someone edit the link so the whole picture doesn't show up and then educate these people why they shouldn't be doing this!

Dat:
Isn�t necessary to educate me. [Mad] That was just a mistake (I believe that you already done this, right ?). As you can see in my other posts, never did that before.
Regards,

[ April 25, 2002, 11:44: Message edited by: Cassio ]

--------------------
Brasil Starships
http://members.fortunecity.com/wendhausen

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps