Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Some questions concerning... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Some questions concerning...
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's been a while, but I think the only Federation ship in "A Final Unity" was the Ent-D
If you destroy the E-D, Starfleet will send the USS Hood on a search mission IIRC.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful. 3 more down, approximately 127 more to go. [Eek!]

[Wink]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
Here's a link, a really nice image of the Star Destroyer-McQuarrie-class. You see what I mean ?

Funny. That looks nothing much like the Phase 2 designs McQuarrie painted. Only the secondary hull shape is vaguely reminiscent of it.
As far as I remember, his drawings had very flat secondary hulls. As did the models built later. Maybe those guys thought that wouldn't work and modified it. The pictures are good, what I don't like is the fact that they Constitutionized them. The McQuarrie or Apollo or whatever you like to call it should have a unique design lineage. For all we know ST:III somehow canonized the design, as did BoBW and Reunion. As a matter of fact, the ships should be accepted with the shape they have been constructed. The problem is that I never saw a good schematic of them besides the concept sketches and some ugly little b/w-gifs.

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
quote:
Here's a link, a really nice image of the Star Destroyer-McQuarrie-class. You see what I mean ?

Funny. That looks nothing much like the Phase 2 designs McQuarrie painted. Only the secondary hull shape is vaguely reminiscent of it.
As far as I remember, his drawings had very flat secondary hulls. As did the models built later. Maybe those guys thought that wouldn't work and modified it. The pictures are good, what I don't like is the fact that they Constitutionized them. The McQuarrie or Apollo or whatever you like to call it should have a unique design lineage. For all we know ST:III somehow canonized the design, as did BoBW and Reunion. As a matter of fact, the ships should be accepted with the shape they have been constructed. The problem is that I never saw a good schematic of them besides the concept sketches and some ugly little b/w-gifs.
At one point I sort of reverse-engineered the "Titan" version of the Phase 2 ship from the photographs of the study model (the best ones I've seen are in The Art of Star Trek), with the intention of scratchbuilding a model based on it. A big problem was that the sketches of the design never quite gave anough detail on the bottom of the secondary hull, and I've never seen a photo of the underside of the study model.

Some features I really liked was the big impulse pack that stuck out from under the ship and appeared to become the floor of the super-huge hangar deck.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Status update: Nearly half of it is done. One question for Spike: does 25th Anniversary/Judgement Rites give any stardate and or year? I guess something between 2266 and 2269, but maybe they made a log entry or something.

Anyway, you would be surprised how much you can find once you broke through the surface.

And I decided to write a small class identification chart for the file, too, since there will be many people asking what an Aegian or Achilles class is. One question though: Should I mention new info for canon classes, too, or just write about entirely new classes?

Two things I need badly:
Star Trek Invasion - who played it? Any registry for the Typhon? Any other ships named? I saw a Steamrunner on some promo pics, for example. And it seems nobody ever played the damn game! [Frown]

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judgment Rites mentioned a stardate. I'm not sure about 25th Anniversary. I'll install the games sometime today but now I need desperately some sleep.
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Two things I need badly:
Star Trek Invasion - who played it? Any registry for the Typhon? Any other ships named? I saw a Steamrunner on some promo pics, for example. And it seems nobody ever played the damn game! [Frown]

AFAIK, there was no Steamrunner in the game. The only ships were the Typhon, NX-85808, and the Enterprise-E. I could be wrong...
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough*

[ July 15, 2002, 07:27: Message edited by: Ultra Magnus Pym ]

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Holy Roddenberry! Get into contact with me, I think I have an idea...

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Here's a link, a really nice image of the Star Destroyer-McQuarrie-class. You see what I mean ?"

I know all about this particular ship, because I was there when it was designed. This particular ship was designed by a fellow named Nick Porcino (aka Meshula), who's a game programmer and game designer at Lucas Arts. He's a member of a TOS/Pre-TOS ship design group I belong to. He designed it as an homage to Ralph McQuarrie, who he met during his work at Lucas Arts. As is obvious, it's only roughly based on the Phase II ships designed by RMQ and has been thoroughly Connied. It originally had a "through deck" design with a 2 doors in back and one in front. All noncanon, of course.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the preview to "The Secret of Vulcan Fury" count?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the preview is one of the best 30 seconds i ever experienced in my life. i NEEDED that game so bad.. and TOS would rock as a CGI show, the characters looked so good in that.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken the libery of extracting all the names used in Birth of the Federation to a binary file. Open with your favorite hex editor.

Bye-bye social life [Smile]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

I think I'll do the same with the SFC-files. I know where the Klingon Academy files are (- should be), but I have savegames for every mission, so it wont be a problem finding out which ship did what where and when. [Smile]

--------------------

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Because I don't know how often I'll be online during this week (probably not that often), here's the yet-to-finish expanded version of the chart. If there's any error you notice, or something else, just contact me.

chart

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps