Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » An oddity regarding the Bozeman. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: An oddity regarding the Bozeman.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A minor point perhaps, but there must be a tale behind this somewhere, and unless I'm greatly mistaken this has been discussed in the past. But I can't recall what conclusions wre drawn.

I've noticed this as an anomaly regarding the Bozeman before, but I made some screencaps to study it in closer detail. It seems to me that the Bozeman here, is displaying the registry of NCC-1841, not 1941 as we have been led to believe by all canon material, to my knowledge anyway...

-

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zhukov/zhukov, 1841/1941. what are a few mistakes between friends? doesn't the Encyclopedia show a picture of the dorsal surface and it says NCC-1941? i also think that Jein meant NCC-1941 to be a homage to the movie 1941, which he worked on. 1941 seems to be the correct registry. i would just call NCC-1841 a model makers error.
IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. The dorsal saucer read 1941, the ventral 1841.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah Right. I knew the 1941 movie reference story, but didn't realise there had been a modelling error. How the heck did they manage that?

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the "18" was probably left over from the original Reliant markings -- IIRC, the Miranda model wasn't used on TNG aside from the Lantree in season two... and that ship also had an NCC-18xx number.

Perhaps it wasn't an error, and the modelmakers figured that since it was such a brief shot, the viewers wouldn't notice? (Ha!) Notice that the tractor beam is pointed directly at the error in the registry number? Also, remember that freeze-frame and screen capturing were a lot less common in those days...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The model had also been used as the Brattain. The upper saucer was relabled with new name and number as was the rollbar. Maybe they left the lower saucer alone. But, like I said, they did relabel the rollbar and we didn't see that up close, so who knows?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

maybe they were just zany guys. i wouldn't be surprised if it was done on purpose. as MM said, the tractor beam was pointed right at it.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be me, but I think the tractor beam in this picture has some serious perspective issues. Isn't the Bozeman *above* the Enterprise's saucer?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1841 was on the ventral surface of the saucer. 1941 was on the upper surface with the name and on the nacelles. And, as with the Brattain/Brittain issue, there was a specific intention for it to be one or the other. (In this case 1941, in homage to Spielberg's movie.) So, taking that into account, I personally would not even consider giving NCC-1841 any credence.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real question is, why would anyone want to make a homage to 1941? [Wink]

--------------------
Meh

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since there are so many who believe in the incorrect Prometheus-NX, I'm sure there are a few who prefer 1841.
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
It could be me, but I think the tractor beam in this picture has some serious perspective issues. Isn't the Bozeman *above* the Enterprise's saucer?

This would implify there's a third vessel somwhere in this scene - probably cloaked - which is the source of the trsctor beam. Maybe a conspiracy? (On the other hand, the bridge crew would have known that there is a third vessel - does this mean Picard's gang is or was working together with Section 31 operatives? Furthermore, the Bozeman was present during 3 major time travel events - and I didn't even include this one: AGT, the Devron anomaly, STVII, the Nexus and STVIII, the Borg-sphere time travel. Maybe the Bozeman was an ill-fated experiment started by S31 and they wanted to gain the collected data from the ship after leaving her stranded in time for a century?)

It all makes sense now... [Eek!]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCC-1841 was meant to be the Bozeman's registry. It was put on the part of the ship that was seen onscreen. NCC-1941 was put on the dorsal saucer as a joke.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

ah, that would make sense. does mike okuda know this? i distinctly remember one of the Encyclopedias listing it as NCC-1941. maybe it has been changed. i really haven't looked at the third Enc very closely.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either Okuda thought that 1941 was the correct registry, or he continued the joke in the article. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps