Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » An oddity regarding the Bozeman. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: An oddity regarding the Bozeman.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding a TNG-style garbage scow... methinks the Oberth class is perfectly suited for that role [Big Grin]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Next thing you know you'll be saying "Enterprise-class", and I'll be forced to hurt you.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's why my forum has twice as many posts as yours. Ha!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I don't see any problems with Mirandas and Excelsiors being still around, but it's the fact that the presence of these particular ships of antiquity doesn't seem to be substantiated and reinforced by the appearances of other older ships. Yes we've heard about the Hokulea's, Renaissances, Apollos, etc, as well as more recent fleet additions such as Korolev and Rigel.

I think the main complaint here is that, as yet, we haven't seen onscreen appearances from these other classes of ship, because the main resource TPTB have are the Mirandas and Excelsiors..

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I already say that the only thing I would have changed would have been to commission a New Orleans and an Ambassador and maybe even a Springfield (which is growing on me) CG model, to use in addition to the Excelsiors and the Mirandas? Unlike the unseen classes, these are already designed and thus, I naively imagine, would be easier to create.

I'd like to see a USS Crazy Horse-type as well, but I do not dare try to spell out its class because I will embarass myself.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Crazy Horse was an Excelsior. You're probably thinking of the Encyclopedia-1's premature classification of it as a Cheyenne.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I've built meshes of all of the obscure, barely seen Wolf 359 ships, and I can say it didn't cause me to sweat much. So other than whatever the economic situation was between TPTB and ILM, you'd have thought there'd be no problem at all building CGI versions of these models. I also know for a fact that mine were a heck of lot better, and more detailed than the First Contact ships (excluding the Akira, which was a superb model).

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curses! It is Cheyenne that I do not dare spell on my own, anyway.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Actually, I was talking about real-world resources. Putting Sternbach or whoever on designing a Starfleet vessel

Then get shuttle man on it, after designing all the new shuttles in Insurrection, Voyager, and even that weird-ass one for the Defiant, whomever he is, he must be dying to design something other than shuttles.
God knows the "NX-01" didn't take up much time to design......or the Klingon battlecruiser that showed up in both DS9 AND Enterprise [Roll Eyes]

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoever said that the Defiant was CGI in FC was wrong. This quote is taken from the sketchbook by John Eaves: "THE MODEL OF THE DEFIANT, SHOWING DAMAGE INCURRED DURING THE BATTLE. THE "DAMAGE" WAS ALL CGI. BY ALEX JAEGER". That is the caption to a dorsal image of the Defiant. So it was the Defiant model used and the damage was computer generated, to avoid costs and hassle of having to create the damage then repair it on the actual model.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that, but I was curious...how on earth does that work? Wouldn't they have to model a CGI Defiant anyway, and have it match exactly the movement of the physical Defiant model in order that the damage stays consistent with the position of the ship?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is this image I always remember when I hear the CGI/model question of FC. Look at the damage next to the nose. CGI.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Yes, I'm acquainted with this model, it is as Cpt Amazov says, CGI.

--------------------

The ASDB

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

From the caption to that photo, which is from the TNG film sketchbook:

"The model of the Defiant, showing damage incurred during the battle. The "damage" was all CGI. By Alex Jaeger."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes, but...I'm still not clear how you can put CGI damage on a physical model that's ducking and diving all over the place without having to, basically, use a full CGI model as well in order to get the placement right.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps