Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » An oddity regarding the Bozeman. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: An oddity regarding the Bozeman.
CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Star Trek: A Continuing Mission they show the Reliant model labeled as USS Courageous NCC-1841. The caption reads that this is the model that was used in Cause and Effect. I have to look at the book again to get a direct quote.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the "1941" ever visible onscreen? Obviously, "1841" was...
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the image in "The Continuing Mission" seems like a photocopy of a page from the good old "Ships of the Star Fleet", with some felt pen alterations sketched atop the image of an Endeavor-subclass ship in order to outline the changes that would be made to turn the Paramount studio model into the Bozeman. Not a final blueprint by any means.

Of course, there was no USS Courageous or NCC-1841 in "SotSF". Those details seem to have been edited into the picture by somebody who had more time and patience than the guy who did the felt-pen additions. Any idea who did this and why?

And yes, I'm in the distinct yet superior minority that thinks "1841" was the real registry, because 1941 was never truly seen onscreen. In theory, one could perhaps see the nacelle registries, but in practice this is impossible - they are well below the grain size of the image!

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Courageous in The Continuing Mission is 1861, not 1841.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. And thus the picture is indeed directly lifted from "SotSF", no registry meddling required.

For all the "SotSF" fans, 1841 would be free game, and indeed a nice place to insert some variants of the Avenger design into. Canon Trek has already given us NCC-1837 for that slot, and there's room for eight more ships there (including, say, USS Soyuz).

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the picture whoever did that used is of the USS Courageous NCC-1861. the pages of SotSF arent numbered, but its the fifth page of the Avenger-class chapter. The ship was shown to show the differences between the class ship, Avenger 1860 and the Courageous 1861, which was built to different specifications.

odd, because i think that the 1861 variant is different in shape than the Reliant studio model.. so they copied the wrong one! (i think) it still served its purpose, showing where the modelmakers were to put the additions.

and as to the screencap, in the Trek hull font the 8 looks a lot like a 9 anyway, si im still not sure what we are seeing until i rewatch some video.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain... Mike:
and as to the screencap, in the Trek hull font the 8 looks a lot like a 9 anyway, si im still not sure what we are seeing until i rewatch some video.

I was jsut thinking the same thing. Sure, it looks like an 8 but it might really be a nine after all. No one's ever been quoted as confirming the second number, have they? (Jein, Okuda, etc...?)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll get better screenshots in November.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if you think about it, since 1841 is what was seen onscreen, 1941 is the second number. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm positive it's an eight, but yes, the DVD of this episode may indeed tell a different story. For now, I'm sticking with the official registry for the Bozeman to be NCC 1941.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, at the end of the episode, didn't the Bozeman fly from right to left (from our perspective), giving us a nice pan of the saucer section? Could anyone see the registry from that.

And yeah, for the registry font, an 8 looks just like a 9.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, I realised that I actually have "Cause And Effect" on tape. So, one quick check later, I can confidently say that yes, if you pause the tape just as the final shot of the episode starts, you can see, plain as day, the number "9" on the top of the Bozeman. It's very brief, but it's also a hell of a lot clearer than the shots of her underside. It can't be mistaken for an "8", in any way.

In your face, "we have to choose the explanation that's different from the majorty" fanboys!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
The model had also been used as the Brattain. The upper saucer was relabled with new name and number as was the rollbar.

Labelling the roll bar on the Brattain seems about as useful as labelling the deflector dish on said vessel.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't one of the shots of the Br!ttain a pan across the saucer? The rollbar labelling could have been visible in this shot.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rollbar on the Br!ttain was labelled. Ask Mojo.

So let's see here.. We can chart the use of the Reliant model as such:

Reliant - ST2
Saratoga - ST4 (also in spacedock, but probably not relabeled)
Lantree - "Unnatural Selection" (TNG 2nd)
Br!ttain - "Night Terrors" (TNG 4th)
Bozeman - "Cause and Effect" (TNG 5th)
Saratoga - "Emissary" (DS9 1st)
Unknown Miranda - ST7
Unknown Miranda - "Way of the Warrior" (DS9 4th)
Unknown Miranda - ST8 (possibly CGI)

[Edit - added unknown Miranda in "WotW"]

Missed anything?

Mark

[ August 05, 2002, 19:50: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps