Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Pegasus ship concept? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Pegasus ship concept?
QuinnTV
Member # 859

- posted      Profile for QuinnTV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was browsing eBay's auction of Rick's sketches, and came across a design I hadn't seen before. It looks like it could have been a preliminary design for the Pegasus, made out of Ambassador pieces.

Thoughts?

Here's the link.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funky...I thought the Pegasus was originally supposed to be a Cheyenne-like ship?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a mirandized Ambassador class.
Kinda cool.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks more like a Nebula-style Ambassador variant to me. Still, it would have been great if they'd been able to use it for the Pegasus; compared to all the Galaxy-based designs, there's a curious lack of similar variants for the Ambassador (at least ones that haven't been blown to smithereens by the Borg, that is).

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apollo-class. Proof. Yes.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew someone was gonna bring that up!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there supposed to be a design using Ambassador parts that Sternbach did for Cause and Effect, before the design was relegated to a Miranda redress?

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I believe the Bozeman was originally supposed to be a TOS Constitution class ship (presumably with a better name than "Bozeman").

About this concept art: The TNG Companion states that the Pegasus was supposed to be a new model based on the Ambassador-class era design. It didn't say anything about it having four nacelles, or that it was based on the Cheyenne class. I think some people got that impression because of a panel showing what looked like two nacelle pairs, but it could have easily been something else.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm almost positive that the Soyuz class was originally supposed to be a completely new model. They had to cut corners by adding onto the Miranda. I doubt it was supposed to use Ambassador parts, though. That would've made it too new for the uniforms they used.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know what that reminds me of. The Curry. Especially the nacelles.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone seen the AGT Klingon cruiser sketch yet?
Looks like it was originally going to be a modified Vor'cha, but then decided to make it completely from scratch.
Funny, it usually happens the other way round.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know what that reminds me of. The Curry. Especially the nacelles.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'm sold. I'll build that as soon as i can dig up another 2500th Ambassador kit.
...although I think I'll angle the nacelle pylons (like the Miranda's) and shape the deflector more like a rounded triangle with pointing down.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope this isn't too much of a tangent, but have you seen some of hte other sketches there? Concepts for whackloads of ships, phasers, and the like. Wow!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm almost positive that the Soyuz class was originally supposed to be a completely new model. They had to cut corners by adding onto the Miranda. I doubt it was supposed to use Ambassador parts, though. That would've made it too new for the uniforms they used.
I remember when "Trials & Tribble-ations" came out, someone had stated that they were finally able to show a model of the TOS Enterprise, something that they were going to do in "Cause & Effect" (presumably with another Connie, not Kirk's). However, unlike with the DS9 episode which was produced during Star Trek's 30th anniversary or whatever, at the time of TNG it was cost-prohibitive to do this because:

1. They would have had to pay Greg Jein a lot of money to build a model which would have been used for only one episode (since a TOS Connie wouldn't be a viable "guest starship" in future episodes of TNG;

2. They would have had to spend a lot of money building a TOS bridge set for the conversation between Picard & Bateson, which again, they wouldn't be able to use in future TNG eps; and

3. The costume department would have to make all new TOS uniforms, which, yet again, wouldn't be able to be used past the one episode. So instead TPTB...

1. paid Gein a much smaller amount to just add some doodads to the Reliant model;

2. Reused the movie Enterprise bridge, which IIRC was still being used for the Trek films; and

3. Reused old movie uniforms for Kelsey Grammer & the extras.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps