Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 5)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that is a very interesting and insightful reply from Ed Miarecki.
Many have asked why the encyclopedia doesn't have better information and graphics. I believe we are getting the answers through this research. The people involved have not kept organized files or discarded files and other material once a project is complete and view their work on Star Trek as experience to be placed on a resume. If the people who did Star Trek put as much effort as many of you have into this research, there would be organized files of everything from the smallest to the largest detail and Star Trek would be your whole career. I don't know if this is a bad or good thing. Furthering on, the individuals who do the encyclopedia and technical manuals view these works as secondary to their work in the shows or films. In the last encyclopedia edition, Mr. Okuda had an assistant do the research. These works have to be the primary focus of the authors.
To end, I believe we have gone as far as we can in this research. The primary sources either do not want to be intruded upon or lack the archival information requested. For years, the official word from Paramount is that there exists no designs for the majority of the named ships in BOBW 2. I will have to agree with the official word and I suggest to everyone who loves and/or obsesses over the topics of starships to make their own versions of the Challenger or Rigel.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er... There may not be designs for most of the ships, but that's because there were forty of them! What we're interested in is the ships that do have designs. There are designs. There were models built and filmed. When you watch the episode, you aren't imagining all those charred pieces of plastic on the screen. Those are real ship models. Consequently, there are designs.

As for the other stuff... Miarecki doesn't want to be bothered because he doesn't know anything, and he's busy. Okuda, on the other hand, seems perfectly willing to help us out. And apparently there is still information out there. As was mentioned, there is apprently an Ex. study model still in the Trek art dept. that Okuda will try to get a picture of.

So, basically, this is not a futile attempt here.

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*is a late arrival at the party, as usual*

OK, first of all, I think we resolved that the 31xxx reg for the Excelsior Melbourne was poppycock some time ago. The number is pretty damn obscured by the tractor beam, but the more we enlarged and upgraded the image, IIRC, it looked more like a 6, which is what TPTB have been saying all along.

Anyway, a few points of my own, from the Copernicus images...

http://www.zahni.com/copernicus/images/w359_3_3.jpg
To the left, below the space between the Freedom and the the flaming wreckage, midway down... Cheyenne from overhead? The pylon curve and lack of a secondary hull kinda suggests this.

http://www.zahni.com/copernicus/images/uni_2_1.jpg
Two Mirandas from the rear, a freighter, and the four-nacelled quagmire...yes/no?

And I'm still skeptical that the horizontal ship in the viewscreen is the same as the vertical one in the next shot.

------------------
The above post was mulled-over, composed, and posted during time Tom would have better spent on his plethora of homework and homework-related exercises. Now don't you feel special?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I agree about the Ahwahnee there. The pylon going to the "upper" nacelle definitely looks curved.

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Tom - I think that unification picture - the Cheyenne viewed from the back is upside down - of course they ARE floating in a junk yard...

have a look at my thread wolf 359/unification - and see my blown up/saturation up pic of that cheyenne - its the same scene but just a different frame...

Andrew

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The_Tom: Well, you might be right about the ship between the freedom and the burning wreck being the cheyenne-class. I made this pic: http://hem.passagen.se/pinasov/possiblecheyenne.JPG
From the left, the first two are "your" ship, the last is the New Orleans-class, re-oriented by me. They do look similar, don�t they?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first ship in Tom's image is the Kyushu, as Fabrux will be glad to confirm.

The second image shows the back of the non-Cheyenne quad-nacelled ship.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a New Orleans alright!

And that quad-nacelled ship to me is not a Cheyenne. The top and bottom pairs of nacelles are to close to each other, more like the Prometheus Class.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank:

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long until BoBW is released on DVD, I wonder.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still not buying it... the Kyushu has saucer damage in distinctly different places and doesn't appear to have two nacelles. We should see the secondary hull if the Cheyenneish ship is the Kyushu, as there's no shadow there and the model hasn't been so scorched that that area's indistinct. But we don't. And the nacelle pylons are distinctly curved, wheras the NO has straight ones.

------------------
The above post was mulled-over, composed, and posted during time Tom would have better spent on his plethora of homework and homework-related exercises. Now don't you feel special?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

...of course, the middle image does look distinctly New Orleansy, but quite different to the Kyushu in the last shot. Damage in different places, nacelle count... A two stage scorching of the model?

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! Take a look at this image, from Bernd's page.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why the New Orleans looks grayish green in that picture, yet a dark blue in the picture from that Japanese book.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
A discovery

I found the impulse drive of the USS Firebrand. At the rear of the saucer, there is a small black area.
So the design of this ship is-
a eliptical disc with a large chevron bulge at the center of the upper portion which contains the bridge. in a straight line aft of the bulge, there are the impulse engines.
a narrow neck contects the disc to a single warp nacelle.

a question, does this class have separation capability?

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps