Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 7)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, remember the Saratoga exploded because they were faced with a warp core breach. Also, no Miranda was ever sighted in the wreckage in BOBW2, so might as well have it explode completely in Emissary.

And The Valkyrie was seen in Redemption pt. 2 as one of the ships in Picard's task force.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that was labelled with the Hathaway's registry.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lot of debris much further away - no this is using my imagination what if the Bellerophon, Melbourne (Excelsior version) Saratoga and Bonestell - are much much further away like a couple of thousand km... attacking the borg cube from another angle. That allows us not to have seen them in BOBW, but also be able to have not seen the BOBW ships in Emissary.

Andrew

P.S. I would have liked to have seen a Dominion War battle take place through out an entire star system - not ALWAYS bunched up like they were... I reckon 3-4 starships head to head playing hide and seek with in a Starsystem - would be quite enjoyable - somewhat like the Mutara Sector battle between the Enterprise and the Reliant.

Andrew

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the latest from Okuda (he is NOT pissed off yet, but instead volunteers info with enthusiasm!)...

Breakthrough: he has found photos. He's not releasing them, hinting at a possible future publication project, but he's giving descriptions. The dorsal/ventral nacelle ship gets accurate now: she's USS Buran of Challenger class after all, with Galaxy nacelles mounted on pylons made of submarine conning towers (apparently, Mike and Rick bought sub kits among other stuff to help the modelmakers create enough ships, and Rick did the Mars Defence Perimeter ships out of those while Okuda modified Miarecki's model).

So the Challenger does exist. I guess this means that the "middle ship" that once was "Challenger" but also a possible "Chekov" or "Excelsior study model 2" turns out to have been the Challenger all the time - but looking nothing like the initial descriptions of that class. While Okuda hasn't explicitly said (and probably couldn't vow) that there wasn't a Constellation-lookalike kitbash, he has now established that

1) the aim of the kitbashing was to create sister designs for Galaxy and
2) the Buran was not a Constellation sister.

The Princeton class Chekov exists, too, but she sounds like a more conventional config. There's not much to go by yet, but the Galaxy-saucered ship has just two nacelles made of marker pens (perhaps similar to the Cheyenne ones?). Waiting for the next message to hear more on Chekov.

So the vertical three-naceller begins to look more and more like Niagara. And the Tolstoy/Rigel is very probably a non-ship - Okuda says he labeled all the kitbashes with full names and registries, and didn't do a Tolstoy (since that name only became necessary with the postproduction line change).

I'm forwarding Okuda's messages to TSN from now on, if people want to read actual transcripts. IMHO, it would be best to wait for "v.3.41+" of each reply instead of commenting on "v.1.0", given how the replies get so much better with age...

And despite some pessimism (shame on you, targetemployee! ), it begins to look as if the project can be finished after all. We only need to get the three-nacellers straight now (and wait for the possible book by Okuda).

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did he mention if he was still able to take a pic of that four nacelled excelsior study model?
and both sides of the cheyenne ?

THANKYOU MIKE! If he does plan a book - he's got at least 3 buyers in Australia right now

Andrew

PS - I wonder what happened to all those Ferengi models they built - they didn't even use one Marauder in DS9... wasn't there like three models?

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll buy four of those books so that I can "kitbash" the missing ships with scissors and glue...

No, Okuda didn't say in the latest message whether he had taken pics of the four-naceller. I think he will, ASAP (it's in his office, after all), but it's also likely that he won't send them over if he's serious about that book project. Also, he hasn't told yet which of the "BoBW" photos he has found beyond the Buran and Chekov ones. I'm hoping for a new Cheyenne picture, too.

I would have liked to see a big Ferengi ship in DS9, too. Voyager isn't likely to show any, and the models probably aren't good enough for movie projects. Should we write to Paramount to have them make the fifth spinoff a Ferengi-centered show?

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a second, I also thought it could be the Cheyenne (which wouldn't make much sense, for the NO is supposed to be exactly there, as we know from the viewscreen scene). Now I am sure it is the NO. Since the pylons are attached above the engineering hull, it is possible that the latter is shaded.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this changes a lot again.

I'm glad that finally the Challenger gets the design she deserves. Yes, Jonah!

As for the Chekov, shouldn't this ship be on screen, since it's in the first version of the dialogue?

"The Melbourne, the Kyushu, the Chekov". From left to riight, this would mean the supposed Niagara could be the Chekov.

Anyway, I'm looking forward what else Okuda has to say.

Timo: Could you ask him if he provided the information (his slides) on the Freedom and Niagara for the Fact Files?

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Okuda explicitly say he was going to work on a book, and that he found the photos?

Either way, could you post the messages here, so we can see exactly what he says? We wouldn't want anything to be lost in the translation.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*snip*

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited February 16, 2000).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the Constitution saucer from STIII is the unidentified wreckage we see in the very first scene, that's real close up. The saucer then moves left and we can see a dislodged nacelle behind it as well.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Grapeape
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Could be. But, isn't the engine floating nearby a Galaxy-type?
IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I am saying the saucer is Constitution

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that was just a piece of junk that Greg Jein put together. Since Okud says the Constitution piece was left over from the movies, it was probably pretty detailed. This would explain the presence of that Consti. secondary hull. Since Okuda's memory of all this stuff isn't terribly accurate in and of itself, I can understand why he might have thought it was the saucer.

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but there's a rather thrilling aspect to all this, isn't there?

And I am now sure that I must work in Hollywood, soul-sucking destroyer of all things or not. Locutus wandering around the office trying to make copies? You just don't get that sort of thing around here.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps